Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,276 Members 38,066 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC Amaze Bluetooth Truth

Tip us?

badgerdave
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default HTC Amaze Bluetooth Truth

1.) Has anyone with the "Bluetooth Problem" rooted their phone and found that it fixed the BT issue.

2.) Did the first OTA cause the BT problem on the Amaze.

I bought my HTC Amaze in January 2012. I didn't have my access to my Plantronic headsets at the time. Before I was able to test the Bluetooth on my Amaze, the first OTA came out. I did the update and all was good. Then my headsets came in and I tried them all (3 total -Voyager Pro HD and Explorer.) The range with the Voyager and Explorer was about 1-2 Ft. I basically had to hold the handset next to the Bluetooth headset. The Explorer had a better reception, but both headsets were distorted with the sound of static and would drop connection with a mere turn of the head. After ICS I now get about 8-10 Ft. with lots of static at anything over 3 feet.

My HD2 running CyanogenMod 7 still gets 30 ft. line of sight. And 15-20 through doors and walls.... I guess I'm spoiled.

Thanks for any answers guys.

hasoon2000
Old
Thanks Meter 9,137

DONATE TO ME
Nope. Mine works. I have a jawbone prime. No issues with connection.

Sent From My HTC Amaze 4G Via Someone's Room
* Developer of AIO Toolkits: Amaze 4G / Sensation 4G / Vivid / Rezound / MyTouch 4G Slide / One X (TEGRA3) / One S / One V / Evo 4G LTE / Droid Incredible 4G LTE / Wildfire S / Desire X / One X (Evita) / One X+ / Droid DNA *
* QX Series ROMs: Dinc4GLTE / One X+ *

If I have helped you, you can give me a donation so I can continue going to school!

Need a phone unlocked? PM me for details! I can unlock many GSM phones, even the new HTC One Series!

Need to see if an IMEI is blocked/blacklisted before your buy/sell/trade? PM me for details as well!

Not only do we Google you, we read your emails, too! <-- Article

"Something can scar you, but do not let it define you."
The Following User Says Thank You to hasoon2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kered424
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Maybe there's an issue with your BT antenna? It could be something as similar to the wifi fix (where you add a small piece of aluminum foil to the back of your case where the antenna is).
The Following User Says Thank You to kered424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

badgerdave
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I have spent alot of time on the T-mo forum in the last few months. For the most part there seems to be a BT issue with at least "some" of the phones. When I updated to ICS the BT did without question get better. Not great.. but marked improvement. The fact that ICS made it better, along with a few posters stating that their phones BT worked fine prior to the first OTA but went bad after the update, led me to believe that the problem may be software related ...ergo the first OTA. The other people that are having this problem also saw a difference when they too updated to ICS.

One update "allegedly" messed up BT on the phone (some anyway) and another made the BT problem better. Strange....

hasoon2000 and kered424 are you guys running stock ROMs? I haven't rooted a custom ROM up to this point because I wasn't sure if it would actually fix the problem. That is why I was seeking a confimation or denial that rooting the phone would fix the problem. My dilemma is returning the phone. I have not unlocked the phone...but I did do the "Leaked ICS." But that is off topic...

kered424
Old
Thanks Meter 94
I've been running stock for the longest time, but recently switched to NRG's stock-look rom. I've never had an issue with bluetooth (gb, ics, or nrg). When I was running stock, I was rooted, but I doubt rooting will fix your problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to kered424 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

badgerdave
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kered424 View Post
I've been running stock for the longest time, but recently switched to NRG's stock-look rom. I've never had an issue with bluetooth (gb, ics, or nrg). When I was running stock, I was rooted, but I doubt rooting will fix your problem.
Thanks for you reply kered424.

I guess what I am really looking for is someone that actually recognized they had the problem and notice a change when rooting a custom ROM onto the phone. I may not find that person here...most people here root without need. I'm all about rooting...I have an HD2 that I still root (my digitizer just went out.) I just do not want to go through the hassle of rooting only to find out that it was the hardware and not the software. I would not even post about this and root the phone...if it were not for the marked impovement when I updated to "Leaked ICS."

It leaves me going: "Hardware?..software?...hardware?...software?"

kered424
Old
Thanks Meter 94
From your description, it sounds like hardware. Have you tried the aluminum foil trick? That's the only thing I can think of.

BlackeyedBandit
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Lightbulb Solution to Amaze 4G Bluetooth Issues. Possibly.

I've been reading XDA forums and modding my phones for years and now and at last I may actually have a contribution to make.

Alright all of you suffering with this enormous Bluetooth problem on the Amaze 4G that HTC pretty much refuses to acknowledge or address.

I too purchased an Amaze a couple months ago and was quite satisfied with its overall performance. That is until I received a Bluetooth ipad game controller and set of S9-HD Bluetooth headphones for my birthday. Then the nightmare began. Constant signal loss. If I were trying to text someone the sound would cut out on every key press. The ipad game controller would lose connection before getting through level one on Metal Slug Three played with NEO.emu (an awesome app by the way for its support of that controller). The in call signal quality was terrible and this was after trying multiple headsets. I read about a foil trick to correct this problem but never once found a tutorial on how to do it and the Bluetooth antenna prongs often spoke of were never actually pointed out anywhere. I looked all night for a diagram that would indicate which ones they are. I am guessing the they are the ones on the upper left. Not the top two immediately above the camera. If I am mistaken please make haste to correct me as it will determine the solution I detail. I had to guess I could find no real confirmation of this as they are both top left. Would someone send me a picture of the actual phone with the backing taken off and indicate which leads are to the Bluetooth antenna? As soon as I can confirm this I will post the fix.

I design and repair custom PC's in my free time for the elderly, disabled, and low income and I used that background to do a little experimenting the result was two more 4G bars in my basement and the the headset cutting out once during a three paragraph text. In game sounds were flawless and in call performance was perfect without a single cut out of signal.

As soon as someone discloses where those actual Bluetooth prongs are. I will post the how to and materials needed to perform this very successful solution. Not a 100% but 90% which is certainly better than the 20% us Amaze users have been putting up with.

I'd also like to thank all the developers for all knowledge and effort that goes into making all the cool enhancements and themes I had on my old HD2 and am now leaning how to apply on the Amaze. Hours of fun. You are all very much appreciated and Keep people like me learning new things.

Oh, I am running NRG's latest Aug 6, 2012 ICS Themed ROM release for the Amaze, Stock Kernel, 4EXT (the best!) S-ON, (Bricked my first Amaze with S-OFF).

As soon as I get confirmation of the antenna location and do a little more testing I will post the fix right here (next week or two). I don't want to look like an idiot or give misinformation if I have it incorrect or cause any damagage to anyones phone.

badgerdave
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
You are right...I could not find anything showing a diagram or pic of where the antenna is/are located. Hopefully somone will provide you with something. Have tried emailing HTC and outright asking for a diagram?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackeyedBandit View Post
I've been reading XDA forums and modding my phones for years and now and at last I may actually have a contribution to make.

Alright all of you suffering with this enormous Bluetooth problem on the Amaze 4G that HTC pretty much refuses to acknowledge or address.

I too purchased an Amaze a couple months ago and was quite satisfied with its overall performance. That is until I received a Bluetooth ipad game controller and set of S9-HD Bluetooth headphones for my birthday. Then the nightmare began. Constant signal loss. If I were trying to text someone the sound would cut out on every key press. The ipad game controller would lose connection before getting through level one on Metal Slug Three played with NEO.emu (an awesome app by the way for its support of that controller). The in call signal quality was terrible and this was after trying multiple headsets. I read about a foil trick to correct this problem but never once found a tutorial on how to do it and the Bluetooth antenna prongs often spoke of were never actually pointed out anywhere. I looked all night for a diagram that would indicate which ones they are. I am guessing the they are the ones on the upper left. Not the top two immediately above the camera. If I am mistaken please make haste to correct me as it will determine the solution I detail. I had to guess I could find no real confirmation of this as they are both top left. Would someone send me a picture of the actual phone with the backing taken off and indicate which leads are to the Bluetooth antenna? As soon as I can confirm this I will post the fix.

I design and repair custom PC's in my free time for the elderly, disabled, and low income and I used that background to do a little experimenting the result was two more 4G bars in my basement and the the headset cutting out once during a three paragraph text. In game sounds were flawless and in call performance was perfect without a single cut out of signal.

As soon as someone discloses where those actual Bluetooth prongs are. I will post the how to and materials needed to perform this very successful solution. Not a 100% but 90% which is certainly better than the 20% us Amaze users have been putting up with.

I'd also like to thank all the developers for all knowledge and effort that goes into making all the cool enhancements and themes I had on my old HD2 and am now leaning how to apply on the Amaze. Hours of fun. You are all very much appreciated and Keep people like me learning new things.

Oh, I am running NRG's latest Aug 6, 2012 ICS Themed ROM release for the Amaze, Stock Kernel, 4EXT (the best!) S-ON, (Bricked my first Amaze with S-OFF).

As soon as I get confirmation of the antenna location and do a little more testing I will post the fix right here (next week or two). I don't want to look like an idiot or give misinformation if I have it incorrect or cause any damagage to anyones phone.

BlackeyedBandit
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Still Still No Adequate Solution to Amaze 4G Bluetooth Issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerdave View Post
You are right...I could not find anything showing a diagram or pic of where the antenna is/are located. Hopefully somone will provide you with something. Have tried emailing HTC and outright asking for a diagram?
Me too. I asked them for a service manual as I am a PC technician to let me figure it out but just like Toshiba laptops. Not a chance.

Update: Unfortunately my Bluetooth antenna mod/fix seems to only have solved the connectivity issue indoors as my headset still cuts out every few seconds outside and drops calls like crazy. I feel as though we've all been suckered by HTC as they will neither let us exchange for a smartphone that works properly or provide a solution to those of us who purchased this factory defective off the shelf phone.

I will still continue my efforts to find a way to enhance the antenna but I will probably never buy anything from HTC again seeing as how they've chosen to not deal with and dodge this widespread problem. T-mobile is no longer selling the Amaze that was the Sales person's response when I told them they were selling a defective product today at one of their stores, However, on the T-mobile website they are giving them away for free with new contracts. Those poor unfortunates that take them up on that offer who know no better.

I am going to demand a refund from either T-mobile or HTC but I doubt I will get one.

The salesman at T-mobile said "Nothing beats a wired headset." jerk!

Again I am sorry for jumping the gun but I was certain I had made a significant breakthrough in solving the Bluetooth problem on the Amaze.