Firmware Upgrade Guide For RK3188 RK3288 RK3368 Devices

Search This thread

Such_A_Victor

Oct 20, 2015
UPD: Rreflashing guide for linux Host PC added.

BEFORE START

What you need:

1. Image file
2. Host PC (Windows)
3. USB OTG Cable

Supported host OS:
1. Windows XP (32/64bit)
2. Windows 7 (32/64bit)
3. Windows 8 (32/64bit)

All manipulations I show using UGOOS devices example. Procedure is common for all RK SoC based devices.

The first thing you need to do is to DOWNLOAD the firmware archive.
Inside archive you find: BatchTool or Android Tool - tools for reflashing and DriverAssitant - tool that helps you to install device drivers and firmware image file.

INSTALLING DRIVERS

If you need to install the drivers, you can find setup file in the program folder.

Launch RK DriverAssitant and press “Install Driver” button.

During installation a couple of times program will ask whether you want to install the driver. In the end of installation you can see diolog window: "Install driver ok".

Ugoos UT-3

1. Turn off the device.
2. Connect device to PC via USB using OTG- port.

3. Press and hold the hardware reset button.

4. Turn on the device.

Ugoos UM-3

1. Press and hold the hardware reset button.

UPGRADE FIRMWARE WITH ROCKCHIP BATCH TOOL
Run the Rockchip Batch Tool and click on the “…” to choose file with firmware pack.
If everything is correctly done and the driver is installed on your computer,
you will see green light on one of the indicators.

Now click the “Upgrade” button to reflash the device. When progress is finished you will see a sign indicating a successful operation.

UPGRADE FIRMWARE WITH ANDROID TOOL
Run the Android Tool and click on the “Upgrade Firmware”.
If everything is correctly done and the driver is installed on your computer, you will see “Found One Loader Device “

Click on button “Firmware” and specify the path to the firmware file.
You need to wait until the program downloading information about the firmware, then it will display some information on the screen. Now click the Upgrade button to reflash the device. At the end you will see a sign indicating a successful operation.

For flashing dualboot or clear linux firmware
1. Run the Android Tool. If you everything is correctly done and the driver is installed on your computer, you will see “Found One Loader Device.
2. Default program configured to flash"clear" android on your device. If you want install “Dualboot” or “Clear linux” click right mouse button by program window, and then select “Load config”.

3. Then choose one of configurations files:
 config.cfg - if want flash only Android
 config_dualboot.cfg - if want flash dualboot
 config_linux.cfg - if want flash only linux
4. Now click the Upgrade button to reflash the device. At the end you will see a sign indicating a successful operation.

For Linux Host PC users:

Rockchip provides a command line utility named "upgrade_tool" under Linux, which support flashing of both update.img and partition images.

In addition, we have two choices with regard to open source tools:

rkflashtool https://github.com/linux-rockchip/rkflashtool
rkflashkit https://github.com/linuxerwang/rkflashkit

Both of them only support flashing partition images, not update.img. rkflashtool is a command line tool, and flashkit has a nice and easy to use GUI with command line support lately added.

If you use Upgrade Tool:

There is no need to install device driver. Just connect the device and host PC.

Download Linux_Upgrade_Tool, and install it to host filesystem:

tar xf Linux_UpgradeTool_v1.2.tar.gz

cd Linux_UpgradeTool_v1.2

sudo mv upgrade_tool /usr/local/bin

sudo chown root:root /usr/local/bin/upgrade_tool

Flash update.img:

sudo upgrade_tool uf update.img

Screenshot%20from%202016-03-02%2012_50_06.png

Flash partition images:

sudo upgrade_tool di -b /path/to/boot.img
sudo upgrade_tool di -k /path/to/kernel.img
sudo upgrade_tool di -s /path/to/system.img
sudo upgrade_tool di -r /path/to/recovery.img
sudo upgrade_tool di -m /path/to/misc.img
sudo upgrade_tool di resource /path/to/resource.img
sudo upgrade_tool di -p paramater # flash parameter
sudo upgrade_tool ul bootloader.bin # flash bootloader

If errors occur due to flash problem, you can try to low format, or erase the flash:

upgrade_tool lf # low format flash
upgrade_tool ef # erase flash

Following instruction is for rkflashkit utility.

Install:

sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
git clone https://github.com/linuxerwang/rkflashkit
cd rkflashkit
./waf debian
sudo apt-get install python-gtk2
sudo dpkg -i rkflashkit_0.1.2_all.deb

GUI:

Rk3288_rkflashkit.png

Command line:

$ rkflashkit --help
Usage: <cmd> [args] [<cmd> [args]...]

part List partition
flash @<PARTITION> <IMAGE FILE> Flash partition with image file
cmp @<PARTITION> <IMAGE FILE> Compare partition with image file
backup @<PARTITION> <IMAGE FILE> Backup partition to image file
erase @<PARTITION> Erase partition
reboot Reboot device

For example, flash device with boot.img and kernel.img, then reboot:

sudo rkflashkit flash @boot boot.img @kernel.img kernel.img reboot

UPD:
REFLASHING IN MASKROM MODE

If you have problems with standard reflashing options, or your device had bricked
IMPORTANT: users can perform further manipulations only at their own risk, and only if all other reflashing options can’t help.

Before reflashing in maskrom mode we need to make the same steps as before:
Installing RK drivers
Installing Android Tool or Batch Tool

CONNECTING TO PC in MASKROM MODE

Maskrom mode is reflashing way, when you block reading data from NAND using hardware short circuit of NAND pins.

1. Open device housing and detect NAND (is standalone chip with 48 pins on two sides) on PCBA. In some boxes you also need detached heatsink or cooler in order to reach NAND
2. Place PCBA in front of you so you can clearly read NAND’s name and board number
3. You should choose 6th-7th or 7th-8th pin from NAND bottom on the right side or 6th-7th or 7th-8th pin from first pin (first pin is marked on PCBA with a point or ) and circuit it during plugging to Host PC and powering on (check pin sequence for other devices very clearly)

pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Ugoos UM3 example

UT3s.jpg

Ugoos UT3s example

UT4.jpg

Ugoos UT4 example

After circuit and attaching to host PC, Android tool will show you message in progress bar: Found one maskrom device

enter%20maskrom.png

Then start upgrade. The reflashing process should run several steps

enter%20maskrom2.png

You also can use Batch tool for this action. Device indication should turn blue instead of green for maskrom mode.

eenter%20maskrom%203.png

There are photos of several well spread NAND chips and circuit schemas:

Hinix_H27UCG8T2ATR.jpg

Micron_29F64G08CBABA.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm using a new RK3368 device. The device is recognized when I use Batch tool, and I was able to flash it that way. But I need it to be recognized in Android tool so I can flash the recovery. It says "No device found". Any advice on how to get it to recognize so I can install TWRP recovery?

Thanks!

Such_A_Victor

Oct 20, 2015
Hi,
I'm using a new RK3368 device. The device is recognized when I use Batch tool, and I was able to flash it that way. But I need it to be recognized in Android tool so I can flash the recovery. It says "No device found". Any advice on how to get it to recognize so I can install TWRP recovery?

Thanks!

Looks strange, first thing come to mind is to change Android tool. Try to use Android Tool 2.35.
And where did you get TWRP for rk3368?

vinaysharma76

Jan 17, 2012
Pune
I flash TWRP on my RK3368 based Z4 android tv box but and it seems working fine but after flash my microUSB port is not detecting any devices not even detected in PC in boot loader mods. I have stock ROM image as update.img format. Is there any ways I can extract recovery image from this ROM file and get back to stock recovery image.

My TWRP works fine and I rroted my devices using TWRP but TWRP csnnot flash this TV box firmware in update.img format. any ways which I can update firmware using TWRP.

thanks for help.

Last edited:

Such_A_Victor

Oct 20, 2015
I flash TWRP on my RK3368 based Z4 android tv box but and it seems working fine but after flash my microUSB port is not detecting any devices not even detected in PC in boot loader mods. I have stock ROM image as update.img format. Is there any ways I can extract recovery image from this ROM file and get back to stock recovery image.

My TWRP works fine and I rroted my devices using TWRP but TWRP csnnot flash this TV box firmware in update.img format. any ways which I can update firmware using TWRP.

thanks for help.

You can use Rk 3xxx firmware tools for extracting recovery image from ROM and than flash it with Androidtool

vinaysharma76

Jan 17, 2012
Pune
You can use Rk 3xxx firmware tools for extracting recovery image from ROM and than flash it with Androidtool

Can you provide link for same. Thanks for help. Appriciated.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Never mind I got the link for tool and tried to unpack update.img from my tvbox but it failed to extract component images.

Such_A_Victor

Oct 20, 2015

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Never mind I got the link for tool and tried to unpack update.img from my tvbox but it failed to extract component images.
is your update.img a full package? What did you exactly do?

Such_A_Victor

Oct 20, 2015
Ugoos just released new firmware for RK3288 devices
http://ugoos.net/blog/rk3288-ut3-ut3s-um3-beta-android-lollipop-5.1-firmware_v3.0.4-lightbiz-ugoos_launcher
Massive changelog from previous version:

1. IPTVLauncher was replased by Ugoos Launcher

2. Added Chinese and Russian localization in Settings

3. Now firmware has only one partition

4. Added Multiuser support

5. Updated Multiwindow mode

5. Included Wifi optimization

6. Added support Fireasy app

7. Added samba server

8. Fixed bug with button "Dismiss all" in "Recent Apps" window

9. Added support Google Widevine DRM

10. Fixed bug with wrong colors in some apps (black background in ES File Explorer)

11. Added ability to select usb sound card in Sound Device manager

12. Added usb 3G Modems support

prisim

Apr 25, 2013
Hello,

I have a IPPLI Mars i8 Tv box with rk3188.
And i am unable to flash firmware after a previous wrong/failed attempt of firmware upgrade, and now tv box has no display.

Please help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPD: Rreflashing guide for linux Host PC added.

BEFORE START

What you need:

1. Image file
    2. Host PC (Windows)
    3. USB OTG Cable

Supported host OS:
    1. Windows XP (32/64bit)
    2. Windows 7 (32/64bit)
    3. Windows 8 (32/64bit)

All manipulations I show using UGOOS devices example. Procedure is common for all RK SoC based devices.

The first thing you need to do is to DOWNLOAD the firmware archive.
    Inside archive you find: BatchTool or Android Tool - tools for reflashing and DriverAssitant - tool that helps you to install device drivers and firmware image file.

INSTALLING DRIVERS

If you need to install the drivers, you can find setup file in the program folder.

Launch RK DriverAssitant and press “Install Driver” button.

During installation a couple of times program will ask whether you want to install the driver. In the end of installation you can see diolog window: "Install driver ok".

Ugoos UT-3

1. Turn off the device.

3. Press and hold the hardware reset button.

4. Turn on the device.

Ugoos UM-3

1. Press and hold the hardware reset button.

UPGRADE FIRMWARE WITH ROCKCHIP BATCH TOOL
    Run the Rockchip Batch Tool and click on the “…” to choose file with firmware pack.
    If everything is correctly done and the driver is installed on your computer,
    you will see green light on one of the indicators.

Now click the “Upgrade” button to reflash the device. When progress is finished you will see a sign indicating a successful operation.

UPGRADE FIRMWARE WITH ANDROID TOOL
    Run the Android Tool and click on the “Upgrade Firmware”.
    If everything is correctly done and the driver is installed on your computer, you will see “Found One Loader Device “

Click on button “Firmware” and specify the path to the firmware file.
    You need to wait until the program downloading information about the firmware, then it will display some information on the screen. Now click the Upgrade button to reflash the device. At the end you will see a sign indicating a successful operation.

For flashing dualboot or clear linux firmware
    1. Run the Android Tool. If you everything is correctly done and the driver is installed on your computer, you will see “Found One Loader Device.
    2. Default program configured to flash"clear" android on your device. If you want install “Dualboot” or “Clear linux” click right mouse button by program window, and then select “Load config”.

3. Then choose one of configurations files:
     config.cfg - if want flash only Android
     config_dualboot.cfg - if want flash dualboot
     config_linux.cfg - if want flash only linux
    4. Now click the Upgrade button to reflash the device. At the end you will see a sign indicating a successful operation.

For Linux Host PC users:

Rockchip provides a command line utility named "upgrade_tool" under Linux, which support flashing of both update.img and partition images.

In addition, we have two choices with regard to open source tools:

rkflashtool https://github.com/linux-rockchip/rkflashtool
    rkflashkit https://github.com/linuxerwang/rkflashkit

Both of them only support flashing partition images, not update.img. rkflashtool is a command line tool, and flashkit has a nice and easy to use GUI with command line support lately added.

If you use Upgrade Tool:

There is no need to install device driver. Just connect the device and host PC.

Download Linux_Upgrade_Tool, and install it to host filesystem:

tar xf Linux_UpgradeTool_v1.2.tar.gz

cd Linux_UpgradeTool_v1.2

sudo mv upgrade_tool /usr/local/bin

sudo chown root:root /usr/local/bin/upgrade_tool

Flash update.img:

sudo upgrade_tool uf update.img

Screenshot%20from%202016-03-02%2012_50_06.png

Flash partition images:

sudo upgrade_tool di -b /path/to/boot.img
    sudo upgrade_tool di -k /path/to/kernel.img
    sudo upgrade_tool di -s /path/to/system.img
    sudo upgrade_tool di -r /path/to/recovery.img
    sudo upgrade_tool di -m /path/to/misc.img
    sudo upgrade_tool di resource /path/to/resource.img
    sudo upgrade_tool di -p paramater # flash parameter
    sudo upgrade_tool ul bootloader.bin # flash bootloader

If errors occur due to flash problem, you can try to low format, or erase the flash:

upgrade_tool lf # low format flash
    upgrade_tool ef # erase flash

Following instruction is for rkflashkit utility.

Install:

sudo apt-get install build-essential fakeroot
    git clone https://github.com/linuxerwang/rkflashkit
    cd rkflashkit
    ./waf debian
    sudo apt-get install python-gtk2
    sudo dpkg -i rkflashkit_0.1.2_all.deb

GUI:

Rk3288_rkflashkit.png

Command line:

$ rkflashkit --help
    Usage: <cmd> [args] [<cmd> [args]...]

part List partition
    flash @<PARTITION> <IMAGE FILE> Flash partition with image file
    cmp @<PARTITION> <IMAGE FILE> Compare partition with image file
    backup @<PARTITION> <IMAGE FILE> Backup partition to image file
    erase @<PARTITION> Erase partition
    reboot Reboot device

For example, flash device with boot.img and kernel.img, then reboot:

sudo rkflashkit flash @boot boot.img @kernel.img kernel.img reboot

UPD:
    REFLASHING IN MASKROM MODE

If you have problems with standard reflashing options, or your device had bricked
    IMPORTANT: users can perform further manipulations only at their own risk, and only if all other reflashing options can’t help.

Before reflashing in maskrom mode we need to make the same steps as before:
    Installing RK drivers
    Installing Android Tool or Batch Tool

CONNECTING TO PC in MASKROM MODE

Maskrom mode is reflashing way, when you block reading data from NAND using hardware short circuit of NAND pins.

1. Open device housing and detect NAND (is standalone chip with 48 pins on two sides) on PCBA. In some boxes you also need detached heatsink or cooler in order to reach NAND
    2. Place PCBA in front of you so you can clearly read NAND’s name and board number
    3. You should choose 6th-7th or 7th-8th pin from NAND bottom on the right side or 6th-7th or 7th-8th pin from first pin (first pin is marked on PCBA with a point or ) and circuit it during plugging to Host PC and powering on (check pin sequence for other devices very clearly)

pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Ugoos UM3 example

UT3s.jpg

Ugoos UT3s example

UT4.jpg

Ugoos UT4 example

After circuit and attaching to host PC, Android tool will show you message in progress bar: Found one maskrom device

enter%20maskrom.png

Then start upgrade. The reflashing process should run several steps

enter%20maskrom2.png

You also can use Batch tool for this action. Device indication should turn blue instead of green for maskrom mode.

eenter%20maskrom%203.png

There are photos of several well spread NAND chips and circuit schemas:

Hinix_H27UCG8T2ATR.jpg

Micron_29F64G08CBABA.jpg
    Hi,

Thanks!

Looks strange, first thing come to mind is to change Android tool. Try to use Android Tool 2.35.
    And where did you get TWRP for rk3368?
    I have a teewe 2 stick from an indian manufacturer. Can i flash any custom firmware in it? it is based on rockchip 3066. How to find a suitable custom rom? wifi chip is ap6181, 8gb storage.
    Inside pics can be seen at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64407126&postcount=61
    Product page says
    "The Device in itself is a complete CPU with a Dual Core ARM Cortex A9 Processor with a Quad Core GPU for High Performance, 1.6+ GHz and 1GB of DDR 3 RAM. Works with any TV with an HDMI Port and needs a Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n connection to stream.

Output: HDMI
    Max. Output Video Resolution: 1080p
    Wireless Standards: 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi 2.4GHz"

http://teewe.in/product

Specs look like typical RK3066 stick, so you can try to reflash with another custom firmware. Problems can be with wifi module and Rom frequency.
    new z4/z4L rk3368 firmware with wifi ap6335 chipset and ap6330. awesome stable rom the only bug is it wont shutdown or restart (freezes) so if anyone can fix that you have a complete upto date rom with all the bells and whistels.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player.../628558-rk3368-02-2017-true-octacore-firmware