nvidia shield tv pro's 500 hdd running 24/7

Search This thread

aniel300

Jan 30, 2013
ok guys i got the new nvidia shield tv pro but i notice that the hdd is running 24/7, now this is a major concern for me because hdds as any electronic out there have a life span, the sleep mode feature on the nvidia shield tv is great and convenient so i hope either google or nvidia address that feature and somehow make more like windows sleep or hibernate mode. please correct me if im wrong and any answer is welcome.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
IMO, hard drives will usually last longer running 24/7, then spinning down and up all the time. It's the transients that usually lead to both mechanical and electrical failures.

aniel300

Jan 30, 2013
IMO, hard drives will usually last longer running 24/7, then spinning down and up all the time. It's the transients that usually lead to both mechanical and electrical failures.
thank you for your reply, according to this website it not a good idea to have it on all the time on but it is also says that it is a good idea to have it. here is a quote form it.

"There’s a careful line to walk here. On the one hand, you don’t want to keep your hard drives on all of the time, but you also don’t want to turn it on and off multiple times per day. Where do we mark the line? As a general rule of thumb, if you’re stepping away for more than a day, shut it down. If you’re going away for a few hours, consider sending the computer into standby or hibernation mode. Any less than that, you can either leave the computer on or send it into sleep mode with powered down disks." according to Joel Lee (www.makeuseof.com)

Last edited: