FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[APP] Reset Wear Client - Switch phones without factory reset

1,225 posts
Thanks Meter: 791

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Android Wear allows pairing to a new/second phone only after you perform factory reset of Android Wear: "You can switch which phone or tablet your watch is paired with, but you need to reset your watch to factory settings first. Then you can pair your watch to the new phone or tablet." Google Support

It's ok for most people but some just have more devices and want to switch them from time to time. Performing factory reset means compiling apps to aot, retransferring all apps the need to reconfigure all apps (Wear Mini Launcher, anyone?).
There used to be an app BeeLink but it stopped working and was removed.

There's actually way faster way how to set up connection with a new phone - in a minute. Just delete application data of "Google Play Services Wearable" app and reboot. All the 3rd party apps with their configurations, all watch faces with configurations, Google Fit data, and basically everything else will be kept.

Step by step
  1. Wear is connected with phone A so turn off Bluetooth on this phone.
  2. Execute following command (with Wear connected and ADB enabled - doesn't require root) or run attached app (root on watch required).
    Code:
    adb shell "pm clear com.google.android.gms && reboot"
  3. Power on Bluetooth on phone B.
  4. Depending whatever devices were paired previously, confirm pairing code or initiate new pairing using following command (thanks @matejdro) or also use the wear app for that
    Code:
    adb shell "am start -a android.bluetooth.adapter.action.REQUEST_DISCOVERABLE"
  5. Finish setup, let it work for some time and restart both phone B and your watch to properly apply all changes. Done.
Attached apk is for installation on mobile phone (it contains and installs the actual Wear app). It's not on Play Store yet. Let's try it and get some feedback first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	1720
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	3218433  
Attached Files
File Type: apk ResetWearClient.v0.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (986.2 KB, 1436 views)
File Type: apk ResetWearClient.v0.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (986.2 KB, 738 views)
Last edited by moneytoo; 7th July 2015 at 10:07 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to moneytoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]

29th March 2015, 06:10 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi,

Thanks for making this for those of us who know nothing about adb. Unfortunately, I could not get this to work, but I'm certain the error is at my end. I downloaded and installed your apk, but I can't get it to open or find it in the app drawer. Excuse my ignorance. Could you please inform me as to how I can run the apk after installation? I downloaded it on to phone B, which does not have android wear installed, as per your instructions. However, I never got passed step 2 of your guide for the above mentioned reason.

Thank you kindly

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytoo

Android Wear allows pairing to a new/second phone only after you perform factory reset of Android Wear: "You can switch which phone or tablet your watch is paired with, but you need to reset your watch to factory settings first. Then you can pair your watch to the new phone or tablet." Google Support

It's ok for most people but some just have more devices and want to switch them from time to time. Performing factory reset means compiling apps to aot, retransferring all apps the need to reconfigure all apps (Wear Mini Launcher, anyone?).
There used to be an app BeeLink but it stopped working and was removed.

There's actually way faster way how to set up connection with a new phone - in a minute. Just delete application data of "Google Play Services Wearable" app and reboot. All the 3rd party apps with their configurations, all watch faces with configurations, Google Fit data, and basically everything else will be kept.

Run the following command on your pc (with Wear connected and ADB enabled - this doesn't require root) or use my app for switching on-the-go (it requires root on Wear).

Code:
adb shell "pm clear com.google.android.gms && reboot"
Step by step
  1. Wear is connected with phone A so turn off Bluetooth on this phone.
  2. Execute above command or run attached app (root required).
  3. Power on Bluetooth on phone B.
  4. Depending whatever devices were paired previously, confirm pairing code or initiate new pairing.
  5. Done.
Attached apk is for installation on mobile phone (it contains and installs the actual Wear app). It's not on Play Store yet. Let's try it and get some feedback first.

The Following User Says Thank You to rekil goth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th April 2015, 10:36 PM |#3  
SF Bay Area, CA
Thanks Meter: 975

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekil goth

Hi,

Thanks for making this for those of us who know nothing about adb. Unfortunately, I could not get this to work, but I'm certain the error is at my end. I downloaded and installed your apk, but I can't get it to open or find it in the app drawer. Excuse my ignorance. Could you please inform me as to how I can run the apk after installation? I downloaded it on to phone B, which does not have android wear installed, as per your instructions. However, I never got passed step 2 of your guide for the above mentioned reason.

Thank you kindly

this App needs to be Sync'd to the watch so download it to Phone A, which is already paired.

wait until it syncs or manually sync Apps in Wear App on phone A.

when it's availalbe on your watch, then start this procedure.
9th April 2015, 12:38 AM |#4  
SF Bay Area, CA
Thanks Meter: 975

More
hmm, just tried this (both ADB command and App installed on watch) with a new phone and I couldn't get it to pair. had to do the watch reset
26th April 2015, 10:07 PM |#5  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 53

More
Not working for me either. Will try the adb route when I can and report back
30th April 2015, 12:34 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thumbs up
Finally a solution to my problem.
When i flash a new ROM i have to pair my moto 360 again... And to do this i allways do a reset on my watch...

Next time i will try it and give a feedback.
5th May 2015, 01:01 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Not working on moto 360 5.0.2, rooted?
8th May 2015, 08:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
I was trying to figure out this one, but could not found proper app to clear. I cleared GMS, Wear launcher, settings etc. and nothing helped. In the end I found this solution which is even better IMO:

Code:
adb shell am start -a android.bluetooth.adapter.action.REQUEST_DISCOVERABLE
After executing above code via ADB, dialog will pop up on wear asking if you want to make watch discoverable. Then you can find and pair it to any phone.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to matejdro For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th May 2015, 10:49 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 237

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matejdro

I was trying to figure out this one, but could not found proper app to clear. I cleared GMS, Wear launcher, settings etc. and nothing helped. In the end I found this solution which is even better IMO:

Code:
adb shell am start -a android.bluetooth.adapter.action.REQUEST_DISCOVERABLE
After executing above code via ADB, dialog will pop up on wear asking if you want to make watch discoverable. Then you can find and pair it to any phone.

Hi, my SW3 was connected to my Mi 4, setup done and working fine. I used Titanium Backup to backup Android Wear and all the watch faces apps.

After I flashed a new custom ROM, used Titanium Backup to restore Android Wear and watch face apps, and also Bluetooth connections on my Mi 4. When SW 3 is connected to my computer, in Adb, it says unauthorised.

Since it is unauthorized, I can't run the ADB command.

Any suggestions?
10th May 2015, 11:00 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
I don't think there is anything you can do at this point. You should have authorized your PC when you still had working watch connection.
The Following User Says Thank You to matejdro For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th May 2015, 06:08 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 153

More
any plans to update it

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread