Ask a question

No registration required

Android iOS compatibility

OP eprisencc

11th July 2014, 08:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8

33 posts
Android wear should be compatible with iOS. Google is a software company and cares about getting their product in the most hands possible. Leaving iOS out defeats this purpose. Google glass supports iOS and so should Android Wear. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5 and my Samsung gear live is useless when I'm using my iPhone. Even if it's only minimal support (ie Google Now but no extra app tie ins) that would be better than no support at all. Pebble is able to support Android and iOS, so should Android wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to eprisencc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th July 2014, 02:54 PM   |  #2  
Flag Kansas City area
Thanks Meter: 78

427 posts
I bet Apple's iwatch won't be compatible with Android. Really nothing else to say about this.

Sent from my HTC One M8
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to awrnsmn For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th July 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrnsmn

I bet Apple's iwatch won't be compatible with Android. Really nothing else to say about this.

Sent from my HTC One M8

That's not the point. FaceTime is not supported by Android but hangouts is cross platform. Google glass and Chromecast is cross platform while Apple TV is not. Apple will never make their products cross platform but Google is software/advertising company first. Android wear should be cross platform.

The Following User Says Thank You to eprisencc For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th July 2014, 05:00 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
More
I agree. I would like to use Android Wear, but if I can only use it properly when I am using my S4, then I don't want to put that much money into it. I'll probably just get a Pebble.
11th July 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knd775

I agree. I would like to use Android Wear, but if I can only use it properly when I am using my S4, then I don't want to put that much money into it. I'll probably just get a Pebble.

I like android wear's interface better which is why I can't bring myself to drop money on the Pebble. However, the Pebble has a leg up on battery life and cross platform compatibility. Microsoft is suppose to come to the wearables market with cross platform compatibility in October. That should be interesting.

12th July 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #6  
Flag Mountain Green
Thanks Meter: 31

152 posts
More
The problem with making it compatible with iOS is that it would need to hook into the notification system of iOS. I highly doubt that Apple makes those APIs available to the general public. Android Wear is basically an extension of notifications and would likely lose all but watch functionality when connected to an iOS device because iOS is a closed ecosystem. It is really a different story than the Hangouts example. Perhaps someone could get it connected to a jailbroken iOS device, but even then, I think it's a stretch.
14th July 2014, 12:24 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 37

303 posts
The bottom line is that Apple would never allow it. They don't block 'Google' Glass from syncing, but they would never allow an app to sync your iPhone with 'Android' Wear.

Furthermore it would be a gimped, unfinished experience on iOS. The Google services needed to make it a decent experience don't exist on iOS. Also, consider this: would it be easier to backport the required service to versions of Android below 4.3 or completely rewrite them for iOS? Obviously backporting. And since there are 3 or 4x as many people using Android 4.2 and below than iOS that would be a much more worthwhile thing to do. So simply put, the effort to support iOS does not seem worth the effort required even if it was possible.
25th July 2014, 09:30 AM   |  #8  
Flag Laguna Beach
Thanks Meter: 42

373 posts
More
Even the Pebble has limited functionality on iOS compared to what's possible on Android. The workaround they had to do to offer a Pebble app store to iOS users is horrendous... (every available app is packaged along with the Pebble app. If a developer updates his or her app, iOS users won't get the update until Pebble submits an update of their own and Apple approves it). It operates like any other app store on Android. And iOS still has issues with Caller ID being displayed properly on the Pebble.
25th July 2014, 05:00 PM   |  #9  

10 posts
Apple won't allow Android compatibility, but if Android smart watches allow iOS compatibility would be a huge benefit. They could release a app communicating with the smart watch. This would be great
25th July 2014, 06:08 PM   |  #10  

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eprisencc

Android wear should be compatible with iOS. Google is a software company and cares about getting their product in the most hands possible. Leaving iOS out defeats this purpose. Google glass supports iOS and so should Android Wear. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5 and my Samsung gear live is useless when I'm using my iPhone. Even if it's only minimal support (ie Google Now but no extra app tie ins) that would be better than no support at all. Pebble is able to support Android and iOS, so should Android wear.

I agree.If Android smart watches allow iOS compatibility would be great.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread