FORUMS

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Heart rate monitor

17th February 2015, 10:29 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38

More
My doctor told me today I should get a heart rate monitor with an alarm. So I can easily look at my wrist, see I'm getting stressed out and chill myself out. I figured this may be my excuse to get a smartwatch, but I want to make sure it will do what I want before spending the money.

So.. if I got, say, an Asus Zenwatch, is there an app I can run that will notify me when my heart rate is high? The one my doctor uses has a red LED that lights up above a set number and I'd like to closely duplicate that - NOT necessarily having my HR always visible, but the alert always visible. Thanks in advance!

18th February 2015, 03:42 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qoncept

My doctor told me today I should get a heart rate monitor with an alarm. So I can easily look at my wrist, see I'm getting stressed out and chill myself out. I figured this may be my excuse to get a smartwatch, but I want to make sure it will do what I want before spending the money.

So.. if I got, say, an Asus Zenwatch, is there an app I can run that will notify me when my heart rate is high? The one my doctor uses has a red LED that lights up above a set number and I'd like to closely duplicate that - NOT necessarily having my HR always visible, but the alert always visible. Thanks in advance!

I think you should ask your doctor exactly what he recommends. So many problems here.
1. zen watch uses ekg by touching the bezel with your free hand. Nothing automatic about it. I suppose if you get in the habit of catching yourself feeling stressed and checking your pulse, this might work, but reviews say it's not accurate.
2.No android watch automatically does continuous monitoring. Moto 360 includes an app to do spot checks. I don't know if that software has an alarm function.
3.There are a few 3rd party apps that will check your pulse at some interval. No idea if they have an alarm function.
4.Most importantly: if this is something you are seriously counting on for your health, an android wear watch as a hrm is a bad idea. Not the gear live, the 360, nor the gw-r have highly reliable PPG sensor. Also, some people are able to get good, reliable readings at their wrist. Many are not.

PPG/optical heart sensors for continuous reading suck a (relative) lot of power thanks to the LEDs shining onto your skin. The best consumer ones for exercise use on the market last 10 hours, max.

A chest sensor (back to EKG) lasts MUCH longer. I can't see wearing that all day, though. If your doctor's plan is to get you to use something for maybe a week so you learn when you're stressing, I can see dealing with this for a while. But as a long-term solution? No, thanks.

I'm very curious to hear what exactly your doctor has in mind. I think a fingertip pulseox reader that you can slip on as needed would strike the best compromise of accuracy and convenience.
Last edited by sirrelevant; 18th February 2015 at 03:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sirrelevant For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st February 2015, 01:03 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 233

More
Quote:

I just release an app for continuously checking heart rate in background : http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...oogle-t3031964
It's new so more features will come, you might want to check if it suitable with your case
21st February 2015, 04:39 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

None of the current batch of android wear watches can accurately measure heart rate, let alone continuous measure, due to their sensors and the algorithm being used. Mio alpha/ mio fuse are the only accurate wrist band available in the market. You may wanna check it out.
21st February 2015, 09:33 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
I've got both a Mio Link and the Gear Live and have used the Mio for the last year during my runs. I wore both on my last run, and at steady state they aren't any more than 2-3 BPM apart. It's a different story when heart rate is going up or down. The Mio tends to track heart rate more closely (maybe a few seconds lag from reality). If I stop running and my heart rate starts to drop from the 150s, the Gear just stays in the 150s while the Mio shows it accurately. Could be the one LED vs 2 LEDs on the Mio, it puts out quite a bit more light. I'm also sweating pretty heavily by that time. Sweat and weaker lights, all other things equal, would give inaccurate readings if any at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketron13 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2015, 12:42 AM |#6  
Flag Chattanooga, TN
Thanks Meter: 410

More
I highly recommend everyone read this article and view the related video there too.

And also read why Apple decided against heart rate and other health sensors in their watches.

None of these wearables work like a chest monitor, the wearables are doing a lot of guess work and are not what you need if you want accuracy or something to show a doctor. I typically use my LG G Watch R during workouts, but I also have a real chest monitor, for when I want to see the real deal.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darnell_Chat_TN For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2015, 03:54 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnell_Chat_TN

I highly recommend everyone read this article and view the related video there too.

And also read why Apple decided against heart rate and other health sensors in their watches.

None of these wearables work like a chest monitor, the wearables are doing a lot of guess work and are not what you need if you want accuracy or something to show a doctor. I typically use my LG G Watch R during workouts, but I also have a real chest monitor, for when I want to see the real deal.

That cnet article implies the PPG sensor is gone, but the wsj report that it's based on doesn't say they've axed it, just other functions like glucose monitoring. Nothing on the apple website about heart rate has been removed, either.
22nd February 2015, 07:43 PM |#8  
Flag Chattanooga, TN
Thanks Meter: 410

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrelevant

That cnet article implies the PPG sensor is gone, but the wsj report that it's based on doesn't say they've axed it, just other functions like glucose monitoring. Nothing on the apple website about heart rate has been removed, either.

You mean the ZDNet article.

If you have WSJ access, read paragraphs 1 & 2 of this article. It's pretty clear, they wanted a heart rate monitor and decided against that, and against a host of other health features.

23rd February 2015, 04:32 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Thanks for all the input guys, I guess a smart watch wasn't in the cards for now. I'm more concerned about constant monitoring than absolute accuracy. I ended up buying a Fitbit Charge HR over the weekend. There's no alarm like I hoped for, but I can easily look at it and get what seems to be a relatively consistent reading. I don't think this is a permanent solution but it'll work for now.

Now to start digging up Fitbit hacks. Thanks again!
23rd February 2015, 05:23 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnell_Chat_TN

You mean the ZDNet article.

If you have WSJ access, read paragraphs 1 & 2 of this article. It's pretty clear, they wanted a heart rate monitor and decided against that, and against a host of other health features.

No access for me. Is this it?
"But these features didnít perform consistently on some people, including those with hairy arms or dry skin. Results also varied depending on how tightly the person wore the Watch, they said. Instead, Apple opted for more pedestrian pulse-rate monitoring, these people said."
(from bgr.com)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread