Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,250 Members 41,842 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Here come tanless watches

Tip us?

Incognitum
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy7k View Post
When I was growing up my dad always wore a wrist watch. On the few occasions he ever took it off, it looked like he was still wearing something around his wrist due to the absense of the massive tan he got from working outside.

I think a wrist phone is a great idea, but wouldn't buy one unless it could actually function as a phone. I personally hate wrist watches, but would start to like them if I could remove the phone from my pocket, and I'm sure a lot of others would too.
I don't understand so many things about this. You're right that this would be popular; I've read a lot of people making the same comment, but why?

A. Full Android watches with SIMs and everything have existed for years. If that's what you want why don't you have one already?

B. The whole point is to be able to to have a personal area network with a single control unit managing the experience across all of your contacted devices, not a series of independent devices each vying for your attention in a disjointed way. Think of the watch as an extension of your existing phone that you can access without having to pull the phone out of your pocket, enter your pin, find your app, and finally do an action. This also allows the watch to offload the heavy processing tasks to the powerful device you already have in your pocket 99% of the time. What good is having your phone, and a second, less powerful processor in your watch both running 100% of the operations in parallel?

vulcanvillalta
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitum View Post
I don't understand so many things about this. You're right that this would be popular; I've read a lot of people making the same comment, but why?

A. Full Android watches with SIMs and everything have existed for years. If that's what you want why don't you have one already?

B. The whole point is to be able to to have a personal area network with a single control unit managing the experience across all of your contacted devices, not a series of independent devices each vying for your attention in a disjointed way. Think of the watch as an extension of your existing phone that you can access without having to pull the phone out of your pocket, enter your pin, find your app, and finally do an action. This also allows the watch to offload the heavy processing tasks to the powerful device you already have in your pocket 99% of the time. What good is having your phone, and a second, less powerful processor in your watch both running 100% of the operations in parallel?
I agree. I think the only justification of these watches is maybe being able to check your text messages without pulling out your phone. that's about all I see in them.
I have been, and always shall be, your friend.

AstroDigital
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Rather look pasty white than have skin damage, in the worst case skin cancer is not very attractive.

fuzzy7k
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitum View Post

The reason your logic isn't working is because you assume that people would still carry a second device. Not everybody wants a powerful device because not everybody plays games, or surfs the internet or other things that require a larger screen.

Another question similar to the one you are asking is, why would people buy a tablet when their phone can already do everything and more than it can do.

If there was a choice between a pocket phone with an optional wrist device, or a wrist phone with an optional reading device, a lot of people would go for the smaller, highly mobile wrist phone.

It wouldn't interfere with mobility and it would be readily available.

Something else that may be bogus, but would probably factor into some people's decisions is that it would distance the RF source from reproductive organs.

iamchard
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziago View Post
Honestly I do not recommend you to use the smartwatch under the scorching sun for too long, I think that the screen may be affected
will it really be affected? i mean all the gears are out there... and there are to be worn and designed most of the time and probably under scorching sun?

stefanw1337
Old
(Last edited by stefanw1337; 3rd July 2014 at 02:07 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I also thought this seemed like a good idea, Android on your wrist. So I bought a cheap one to see.

I got one from Chinavasion(can't posts links yet obviously). The one I got was the "3G Android Watch Phone 'FineWatch' - MTK6577 Dual Core 1GHz CPU, 2 Inch IPS Screen, 4GB ROM, 8GB Additional Memory" because it seemed to have be biggest screen and the best hardware of the no-name ones.

But the android version is horrible on the device, and I kinda wanna install a new one. Watch can't log on to my google account, due to it not understanding the 2-step vertification procedure. And it has no Google play, browser doesn't show any images when browing play.google.com etc. All-in-all horrible, is there a way to fix this by installing a more normal version of Android? Like without bricking it or using the old version?

Can someone point me in the right direction to make this watch the best I ever wore?