Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,670 Members 44,020 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Gear Live and burn-in

Tip us?

indianajonze
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawnToLife View Post
Except, you know, on the official Google page, and in the videos that I've seen, the screen also just times out to a low power, black and white screen (referring to the Gear Live). Super AMOLED is more power efficient in idle / dark screens due to the nature of individual pixel lightning, so I don't really understand what you mean by the Gear Live would burn out in a matter of hours (they should be relatively the same from what I can tell).

Always on = standby (i.e low brightness, dark screen). It does not mean full brightness, always coloured watch face. No way in hell. If that was the case, why would the displays time out in what appears to be 5-10 seconds?

Yeah.. I'm going to wait on conclusive battery testing before making my purchase. I've got like a week anyways, might as well.

Also, I'm legitimately concerned about screen burn in now, given the nature of AMOLED.

i've been concerned about screen burn in from time to time as well (most recently with the gnex). but then i realized it is highly unlikely i'll have the device for long enough to achieve burn in and/or notice

BlueScreenJunky
Old
Thanks Meter 24
I've been playing with my Gear Live for a couple of days, so here's what I can tell :
- The screen is "Always On" by default, which means it will get dimmer and switch to a black background on most watch faces (and for AMOLED, black means "off").
- You can set it to turn off completely.
- In order to dim it (or turn it off depending on the settings) you can either wait, cover the screen with your hand, or use the physical button... The button is not really practical and seems to serve absolutely no purpose since you can use the screen.
- I haven't noticed any burn-in at all yet
- I think I noticed that from time to time the facewatch (I'm using the one with the digital hour in the center and analog minutes, I think it's called "digitalog" ) switches a few pixels to the right or to the left. My guess is it is to prevent burn in, I know most plasma TVs do that too.
- I had a Galaxy S2 for several years before switching to a Nexus 5, and yes, the toip of the screen where the notification bar usually is was burnt-in (or rather I think the whole screen was burnt except for this black bar). It was noticeable on full screen apps but never bothered me. Even if it happens on the Gear Live I can't see it bothering me... It's not like I'll be watching movies on it...

So my guess is you should be fine... But if you're really worried you can always disable "Always On".

DrawnToLife
Old
Thanks Meter 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScreenJunky View Post
I've been playing with my Gear Live for a couple of days, so here's what I can tell :
- The screen is "Always On" by default, which means it will get dimmer and switch to a black background on most watch faces (and for AMOLED, black means "off").
- You can set it to turn off completely.
- In order to dim it (or turn it off depending on the settings) you can either wait, cover the screen with your hand, or use the physical button... The button is not really practical and seems to serve absolutely no purpose since you can use the screen.
- I haven't noticed any burn-in at all yet
- I think I noticed that from time to time the facewatch (I'm using the one with the digital hour in the center and analog minutes, I think it's called "digitalog" ) switches a few pixels to the right or to the left. My guess is it is to prevent burn in, I know most plasma TVs do that too.
- I had a Galaxy S2 for several years before switching to a Nexus 5, and yes, the toip of the screen where the notification bar usually is was burnt-in (or rather I think the whole screen was burnt except for this black bar). It was noticeable on full screen apps but never bothered me. Even if it happens on the Gear Live I can't see it bothering me... It's not like I'll be watching movies on it...

So my guess is you should be fine... But if you're really worried you can always disable "Always On".
How is the battery though? Think you can get through a solid day with heavy notification flow? :P That's all I really care about.
Tablet 1: iPad 4 ♦ iOS 7.1.2 ♦ Jailbroken
Tablet 2: Nexus 7 (Flo) ♦ CM11 M9 ♦ ElementalX Kernel 2.14+ ♦ TWRP ♦ PVS Bin 4
Phone: Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900W8) ♦ Root ♦ Tweaked 3.5 ♦ LeanKernel 3.7 ♦ NB7 Modem ♦ NA2 Bootloader ♦ CWM ♦ Knox 0x0 ♦ PVS Bin 3
Watch: Samsung Gear Live
Previous: iPhone 4 (iOS 6.1.2 Jailbroken) ♦ iPod Touch 3G (iOS 5.1.1 Jailbroken)
Use this link if you want 20GB of free cloud storage!

AyanamiZer00
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScreenJunky View Post
I have a Gear Live, and can confirm this is true. I've seen it on multiple watch faces.
LG Nexus 5 & Samsung Gear Live
+ Samsung Galaxy Nexus (as an MP3 player)
+ Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (from work)
+ HP Chromebook 11

Maega
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawnToLife View Post
Except, you know, on the official Google page, and in the videos that I've seen, the screen also just times out to a low power, black and white screen (referring to the Gear Live). Super AMOLED is more power efficient in idle / dark screens due to the nature of individual pixel lightning, so I don't really understand what you mean by the Gear Live would burn out in a matter of hours (they should be relatively the same from what I can tell).

Always on = standby (i.e low brightness, dark screen). It does not mean full brightness, always coloured watch face. No way in hell. If that was the case, why would the displays time out in what appears to be 5-10 seconds?

Yeah.. I'm going to wait on conclusive battery testing before making my purchase. I've got like a week anyways, might as well.

Also, I'm legitimately concerned about screen burn in now, given the nature of AMOLED.

I own a Gear Live and can confirm that it does indeed have an always on display (which can be toggled from settings) that dims to gray scale when not in use just like the G Watch.
At the same time I can also confirm that having my watch now just around 3 weeks has already showed some very minor signs of burn-in. Typically when in apps or settings. As I said though its very minor and not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. That said though it is there.
Also to clear up battery life the Gear Live can withstand 36hours of always on screen. While I typically charge my watch each night I have tested it and can get it to run from one morning through to the following night before the battery reaches 5%. This is with the Always-on display option enabled.

tu3218
Old
Thanks Meter 253
Are you guys leaving the screen on all night when you're sleeping? I know its not lit up all the way but like the dimmed version of the screen. Like I'm using the simple clock. You think its okay to leave that on all night? I'm thinking it'll be okay cause it'll gradually change over night so it's not technically sitting on one time for 7 hours.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

notsointeresting
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 1,931

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218 View Post
Are you guys leaving the screen on all night when you're sleeping? I know its not lit up all the way but like the dimmed version of the screen. Like I'm using the simple clock. You think its okay to leave that on all night? I'm thinking it'll be okay cause it'll gradually change over night so it's not technically sitting on one time for 7 hours.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app
I am a little worried about burn in myself so I turn the device off at night when I charge it. Even though the pixels should shift with the default watch faces I just think it's a safer bet to power it off.

Follow me on Google+
Follow me on Twitter