LG G Watch VS Samsung Gear Live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

X1XNobleX1X

Jul 5, 2014
Melbourne
What is your guys opinion on both these smart watches?
Both have pros and cons.

Galaxy Gear Live:
Pro:
Has a better screen.
Heart rate monitor

Cons:
Smaller 300 mah batter.
Charging cradle is horrible.

LG G Watch.
Pro
Bigger battery.
Has a lot of praise on the XDA sub forum.

Cons.
Lower quality screen.

Last edited:

verks

Jan 21, 2006
Cleveland, Oh
I have not used the LG yet but I can't complain about the battery on the Gear Live. Today is my first full day of use and I'm at 48% right now after 14 hours. Not bad. I had the Gear 2 and I love Android Wear as a os over what Sammy does. I like the build and look of the Gear Live. Looking forward to more apps.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: X1XNobleX1X

AstroDigital

Aug 10, 2010
The Gear Live is much like the Gear Neo and people sure they like more battery life but I believe the screen is not as hard on the battery as the LG watch.

jscsltd

Aug 1, 2005
melton mowbray
I had a Neo for a couple of months and I would get about three days battery life.
It was ok but it really looked like it wasn't going to get any decent apps for it, so I switched to the G watch.
On the Gear, I miss the Home key and the longer battery life than the G watch.
The G watch works better with notifications but if they aren't from Google Apps, you only get the title of the notification and a small amount of the content.
You also can't change the font size on the G watch and to be honest, it's just too big when scrolling through an email.

I'm very hopeful that the limitations on notifications will be addressed as apps are updated to integrate with Android Wear. I really couldn't see this happening with the Gear as the audience is just too small for the app developers to bother.
Also, I'm looking forward to some decent extensions of existing apps that actually work well with Android Wear!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

mitch1974

Jul 22, 2007
The main factor for me is: changable watch straps.
I've managed to snap every plastic watch strap I've ever worn within 2 months.

D

Deleted member 5149701

I'm debating to get the Gear Live or G Watch.

I'm just waiting to see if T-Mobile or AT&T will be carrying the Gear Live anytime soon. You can get a G Watch for under $200 if you pick 2 more small accessories on AT&T.

jscsltd

Aug 1, 2005
melton mowbray
I have the G Watch.
I'm pleased with it and find:
Screen is fine in daylight and even bright sun.
Easily good for a day battery life.
I had the Gear 2 and I prefer the less bulky size of the G Watch.
I don't notice the slightly lower res of the G Watch....things still look crisp and good.
Not had any issues with the lack of a power button and you can restart watch in the settings.
I do think there should be a home button mind.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase and the pace that apps are being developed is looking really good.....unlike the Tizen platform!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Free mobile app

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
When are these going to be available in stores? Would like to at least check these watches out but Best Buy just keeps saying preorder.

PaulG1488

Jun 25, 2009
When are these going to be available in stores? Would like to at least check these watches out but Best Buy just keeps saying preorder.

I bought my g watch from best buy yesterday just call a local one and ask when they'll have it in store. They should be able to check other stores near you too.

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
I bought my g watch from best buy yesterday just call a local one and ask when they'll have it in store. They should be able to check other stores near you too.

Did they have them out to play with? I want to experience android wear but wondering if I should wait. That's why I was leaning more towards the Gear Live solely because it's a little cheaper.

joshw0000

Jun 15, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have the G Watch and like it so far. Coming from the Gear 1 running Tizen, it was a pretty big learning curve. Android Wear has more development and lets me do more from my watch than Tizen (i.e. navigate, change phone volume, stream live camera feed from the phone, etc). I do miss making calls on the watch....a lot. I sorta miss the camera but I rarely used it.

From what I've read, the Gear Live is similar to the Neo, only with Wear not Tizen. So I wouldn't imagine there are huge differences between the Live and G Watch aside from cosmetics.

I'll definitely buy a next gen Android Wear watch when they get speakers!

senseijuan

Jun 28, 2014
I pick Gear Live

What is your guys opinion on both these smart watches?
Both have pros and cons.

Galaxy Gear Live:
Pro:
Has a better screen.
Heart rate monitor

Cons:
Smaller 300 mah batter.
Charging cradle is horrible.

LG G Watch.
Pro
Bigger battery.
Has a lot of praise on the XDA sub forum.

Cons.
Lower quality screen.

I would go for Gear Live better screen, better looks and the heart rate monitor is a huge addition

MariuxReloaded

Jan 16, 2014
Manfredonia
Samsung Gear Live is better than LG Watch: it's better looking and, if Samsung leaves Android for Tizen, it would be one of those devices which will turn to this OS, even if I prefer Android ;)

spiderflash

Jun 19, 2014
Munich
I have to go for the g watch. I actually prefer the looks of the G watch, I like that it has a clean industrial design with no buttons :D Many people hate that but I love it.
Also I hate Samsung and tizen is just hurgh. LG all the way, my phone is a Nexus 5 also from LG :p
I don't do sports lel: no heartbeatsensor, so what? I only wish the screen was a little better on the G Watch as you can really see the pixels sometimes. And the amoled screen is also a plus for the gear live as it doesn't shine as much at night and is better visible in daylight.
All in all the watches are very similar considering hardware so I guess it comes down to the look basically.

LLLynnWoW

Mar 12, 2014
Qualité vraiment très moyenne...:rolleyes:
--------------------------------------------
Merci pour cette présentation.

Komodo Rogue

Oct 30, 2010
DC
Personally, I went with the G Watch, but it was by a small margin. The larger battery on the G watch and a disdain for samsung's business practices (I fear samsung will be more likely to lock down the OS and/or design apps specifically for use with Samsung phones - although so far it seems like Google is doing a good job keeping things uniform across devices) were two of the deciding factors. I would have preferred an AMOLED screen and higher resolution, but the screen isn't *that* much better than the G watch's screen.

I think the gear live is the better choice if you intend to have the screen always on, especially with a mostly black background (power saving with amoled), and plan to use it primarily as a stylish watch. The gear live is subjectively better looking, and a nice watch face that's always on could potentially make it look even more stylish. The battery is sufficient for a day's use of a good-looking watch that you occasionally use for google now and other apps.

However, if you turn off the display's "always on" feature, and plan to use the watch extensively for apps/google services, I think the G watch delivers better battery life. So far, I haven't minded tapping the screen to see the date and time, so the watch display is almost always off - meaning the battery savings with samsung's amoled display would be nearly negligible for my use. However, I'm using the watch a LOT: I use it for navigation, I'm constantly signed in to hangouts and reply to the messages through the watch, I keep a running list of to-do notes, etc. I also have the screen brightness set really high, because its usually off anyway, but it's perfectly visible when I need it (even outdoors). With a full charge in the morning and the brightness set very high, I have yet to kill the battery before I go to sleep, even when I've used the watch extensively all day long - which is good, because my use will only increase as apps are developed.

tl;dr Ultimately, they're very similar and you can't really go wrong. The extra 100mAh on the G watch is probably negated if you plan to keep the watch "always on" (in fact, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Gear Live even gets better battery life when the screen is always on). If you turn the display off, though, then the battery-saving display technology won't matter as much and you'll have an extra 100mAh of battery life.

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
I went in today to pick up the G watch and my best buy didn't have any. This is really frustrating. I believe the Gear Live is rumored to be available the 27th or 28th of July at best buys so maybe I'll check in a day or so for that watch. I want to try either one but don't want to have order one. Anyone having luck with finding them at best buys?

Thanks everyone for the reviews. I think they are both decent I'd be happy with either. I know they're not no moto 360, but I bet they end up being a good amount cheaper than the 360. So hopefully I can find one of these in best buy. Leaning towards the Gear live cause the screen and heart rate monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have not used the LG yet but I can't complain about the battery on the Gear Live. Today is my first full day of use and I'm at 48% right now after 14 hours. Not bad. I had the Gear 2 and I love Android Wear as a os over what Sammy does. I like the build and look of the Gear Live. Looking forward to more apps.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk