Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] LG GWatch & Swimming

OP jusumgeezer

17th July 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

97 posts
I was just wondering what peoples experiences were with the LG GWatch and water.
I am going on holiday in a few days, although the watch is rated as water resistant I'm still a bit worried.
I have seen several posts where people have kept their watch on whilst washing up or in the shower but what about swimming?
Have ever you kept your watch on in swimming pools (chemicals?) or the sea (salt water?) was there any issues?
Also should I be worried about sand?
This is the first watch I've worn in years & I'm not sure about how much abuse they can take, should I take it off before jumping on the water slides?
18th July 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #2  
Flag Munich
Thanks Meter: 95

331 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusumgeezer

I was just wondering what peoples experiences were with the LG GWatch and water.
I am going on holiday in a few days, although the watch is rated as water resistant I'm still a bit worried.
I have seen several posts where people have kept their watch on whilst washing up or in the shower but what about swimming?
Have ever you kept your watch on in swimming pools (chemicals?) or the sea (salt water?) was there any issues?
Also should I be worried about sand?
This is the first watch I've worn in years & I'm not sure about how much abuse they can take, should I take it off before jumping on the water slides?

It's rated water resistant for splash water not water proof. I have washed my hands several times with the watch being submerged in water. Not a problem at all even with soap. You can probably even shower, although I do not recommend it. Swimming is a no go though, especially in salt water. Sand is fine as long as you don't rub it on the watch as that scratches the screen and everything else. Also sand might get stuck in the connections to the strap which then gets stuck. But if I was you, I would leave my watch in the apartment when going to the beach.
18th July 2014, 05:24 AM   |  #3  
Flag Laguna Beach
Thanks Meter: 42

374 posts
More
There's no such thing as a "water proof" watch. Only certain levels of resistance. The G Watch is rated to withstand submersion into a maximum of 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes (or equivalent pressure). Taking a shower could potentially exceed that (depending on your water pressure), as could swimming.

Agreeing with spiderflash, I also wouldn't worry about it while raining, washing my hands, going to Splash Mountain, or even washing the watch in the average sink. But I definitely wouldn't be bringing it with me into the shower, ocean, or swimming. Beach/sand would be fine, as the watch is dust proof. So long as you don't mind the sand scratching it to hell. I wouldn't bring it to the beach either.

If I'm doing one of those other activities...that's what my Timex Ironman is for!
18th July 2014, 09:12 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7

97 posts
Thanks for the replies, I'm really not comfortable in any of those situations so the watch will be definately be staying back where it's safe.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread