Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Is outdoor visibility - real issue or no?

OP tu3218

4th August 2014, 05:00 PM   |  #21  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 277
 
2,696 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnus

That sucks, my nearby Best Buys all have plenty in stock (last I looked a few days ago). Why not just order one from the website? The only real reason I went with the G Watch is because of the magnetic charger...much, much better than the Live's. I do wish it had an OLED display though. But this is just supposed to hold me over to the moto360, provided it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

All best buys around me now are stocked with the gear live according to online. Still the g watch isn't available for store pick up. I'm going with the gear because it has the OLED screen, has a physical button, and i think more sporty looking. Both seem like nice devices though. I think I'll eventually want the 360 but if it's over 325, I'm going to have a hard to justifying that for an accessory that unless it adds some new function, the gear live and g watch can do same functions.
4th August 2014, 07:57 PM   |  #22  
Senior Member
Flag Laguna Beach
Thanks Meter: 42
 
374 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218

All best buys around me now are stocked with the gear live according to online. Still the g watch isn't available for store pick up. I'm going with the gear because it has the OLED screen, has a physical button, and i think more sporty looking. Both seem like nice devices though. I think I'll eventually want the 360 but if it's over 325, I'm going to have a hard to justifying that for an accessory that unless it adds some new function, the gear live and g watch can do same functions.

I'm with you on that one. $325 sounds like about the max I'd pay for it. But it does add wireless charging and auto brightness. I just really, really hope it isn't going to be all plastic like the latest rumors claim.
4th August 2014, 09:20 PM   |  #23  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 277
 
2,696 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnus

I'm with you on that one. $325 sounds like about the max I'd pay for it. But it does add wireless charging and auto brightness. I just really, really hope it isn't going to be all plastic like the latest rumors claim.

Yeah I forgot about those features. Those will definitely be nice but I'm really thinking the 360 will be $350+. We just need a better way to adjust the brightness quickly on the current watches. Though on my gear it seems all I have to do is press the power button and it's the first option. So far really enjoying it though. I took it outside and the visibility while decreased, definitely didn't seem to be an issue. And that was at brightness level 4.
5th August 2014, 04:18 AM   |  #24  
Senior Member
Flag Laguna Beach
Thanks Meter: 42
 
374 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218

Yeah I forgot about those features. Those will definitely be nice but I'm really thinking the 360 will be $350+. We just need a better way to adjust the brightness quickly on the current watches. Though on my gear it seems all I have to do is press the power button and it's the first option. So far really enjoying it though. I took it outside and the visibility while decreased, definitely didn't seem to be an issue. And that was at brightness level 4.

Nice, didn't know the button had that function. Would be handy on the G Watch. But I use Wear Mini Launcher, which has a quick brightness feature that I rarely use. I generally leave mine on brightness level 2, and don't really have any issue seeing it in direct sunlight either...so long as I tilt it to reduce the glare, it's not hard seeing the time at a glance. Even with my sunglasses on (which actually helps with the glare anyway).
5th August 2014, 05:06 AM   |  #25  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 277
 
2,696 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnus

Nice, didn't know the button had that function. Would be handy on the G Watch. But I use Wear Mini Launcher, which has a quick brightness feature that I rarely use. I generally leave mine on brightness level 2, and don't really have any issue seeing it in direct sunlight either...so long as I tilt it to reduce the glare, it's not hard seeing the time at a glance. Even with my sunglasses on (which actually helps with the glare anyway).

Yeah I still gotta check out that launcher. I've been running at 4 all day only because I think it came out of the box at that level. Plus I found out today that the mute toggle turns off notifications. I had notifications coming in left an right earlier and my watch kept coming on and non stop and vibrating lol definitely hit the battery hard.

But as you said, I think the lower brightness levels will be adequate for 90% of the time. Have you noticed a big difference in battery life between levels?

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app
5th August 2014, 06:32 AM   |  #26  
Senior Member
Flag Laguna Beach
Thanks Meter: 42
 
374 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu3218

I think the lower brightness levels will be adequate for 90% of the time. Have you noticed a big difference in battery life between levels?

Not particularly. I haven't really been paying attention, as most days I never get a 'battery low' notification. And like I said, I really have it set fairly low most the time. I'm inside most the day so it's more than bright enough.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes