Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,370 Members 37,128 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: What screentype is best for a SmartWatch?
LCD 0 0%
AMOLED 9 60.00%
Colour E-Ink or Mirasol 5 33.33%
E-Ink/E-Paper in Black and White 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] Android Wear - Themes and Watchfaces

Tip us?
 
CommanderROR
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 374
Join Date: May 2008
Default [Q] Android Wear - Themes and Watchfaces

Hi everyone,

I have not found this info so far, so I'm asking here:

Can Android Wear Smartwatches be equipped with custom watchfaces out of the box, like the Pebble? I know that Motorola is planning something like this, but I'd like to know, whether we'd be stuck with whatever Samsung, LG or whoever made the device allows, or if we can install Watchfaces from the Playstore/other sources? This would be a big factor for different screentypes, AMOLED could benefit greatly from Black and White watchfaces for example.

The same goes for the general theme/style. Is that alway "stock" Google Now look, or can we adjust it to fit our needs and/or to conserve power on AMOLED screens?

Thanks.
 
skraam
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 167
Join Date: Jul 2010
You can find Google I/O prese.tation on youtube and just find Android Wear presentation. It shows watchfaces, wallpapers etc.

Short answer - Yes you can change everything.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
Samsung Galaxy Nexus + ParanoidAndroid 4.4.2 Kitkat
Samsung Galaxy Note3 + AndroidNow 4.4.2 Kitkat
 
CommanderROR
Old
(Last edited by CommanderROR; 26th June 2014 at 04:34 PM.)
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 374
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by skraam View Post
You can find Google I/O prese.tation on youtube and just find Android Wear presentation. It shows watchfaces, wallpapers etc.

Short answer - Yes you can change everything.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app
Thanks,

I was aware of the wallpapers, but not sure about watchfaces, since those are, according to what I read, the only things manufacturers (eg. Samsung, Sony et al) are allowed to customize. Now, just because Sammy is allowed to customized doesn't mean they'll allow me to customize...


I'll rewatch it and see what exactly they say...

UPDATE: I watched the presentaion again, but did not find any concrete evidence either way. Apps can have a custom UI, but I found nothing on 3rd party watchfaces.

Another question just popped up in my brain: What happens when the watch is not connected to the phone? How much functionality remains?
Also, can you actually answer a call on the watch? I'd assume not, since it has no speaker...
 
sprinttouch666
Old
#4  
sprinttouch666's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 37
Posts: 301
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Thanks,

I was aware of the wallpapers, but not sure about watchfaces, since those are, according to what I read, the only things manufacturers (eg. Samsung, Sony et al) are allowed to customize. Now, just because Sammy is allowed to customized doesn't mean they'll allow me to customize...


I'll rewatch it and see what exactly they say...

UPDATE: I watched the presentaion again, but did not find any concrete evidence either way. Apps can have a custom UI, but I found nothing on 3rd party watchfaces.

Another question just popped up in my brain: What happens when the watch is not connected to the phone? How much functionality remains?
Also, can you actually answer a call on the watch? I'd assume not, since it has no speaker...

Regarding 3rd party watchfaces, that functionality isn't available today but has been promised in an upcoming release. Wear devices currently run Android 4.4W so I would assume it will roll out with L (if not before).

Just tested the functionality of the LG watch when not connected to a phone. It has limited functionality. No voice commands (because it normally uses the internet through your mobile device) but you do have access to the basics: steps, agenda, timers, timers alarms, stopwatch, etc and apps that don't require internet.

When you receive a call can answer/decline or decline & send a text (with preset and on the fly voice I think) straight from the watch but I believe you will need to use your phone or another Bluetooth device to actually talk the the person on the other end.


Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to sprinttouch666 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
CommanderROR
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Posts: 374
Join Date: May 2008
Thanks. That does help!
 
senseijuan
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 40
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default Android Wear watch face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Hi everyone,

I have not found this info so far, so I'm asking here:

Can Android Wear Smartwatches be equipped with custom watchfaces out of the box, like the Pebble? I know that Motorola is planning something like this, but I'd like to know, whether we'd be stuck with whatever Samsung, LG or whoever made the device allows, or if we can install Watchfaces from the Playstore/other sources? This would be a big factor for different screentypes, AMOLED could benefit greatly from Black and White watchfaces for example.

The same goes for the general theme/style. Is that alway "stock" Google Now look, or can we adjust it to fit our needs and/or to conserve power on AMOLED screens?

Thanks.
I dont see any watch face yet for Android Wear but there are already watch faces in the Android Wear itself available for you..
 
senseijuan
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 40
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default Custom Watch Faces for Android Wear

Yes I dont see any watch faces yet hope they will have an app for editing and creating your own watch face for Android Wear..
 
TjPhysicist
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 305
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Quote:
Originally Posted by senseijuan View Post
Yes I dont see any watch faces yet hope they will have an app for editing and creating your own watch face for Android Wear..
Custom watch faces for Android Wear start appearing in the Play Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes