Post Reply
Smile

MOTO360 - Google or Lenovo?

26th March 2014, 08:37 PM   |  #1  
Rafik.1's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Hi all,

I wanted more information about this specific thing that comes up on google searches about motorola and android wear.
Have any of you noticed that Moto360 and Motorola are still being branded as a "Google company"? What gives?

I'm wary of purchasing the Moto360 cause essentially, Lenovo is taking over debuting this summer. How would warranty then work? Customer service? Replacements? Google has been fantastic for the most part with replacements and warranty, also pricing, so who would then take the lead for the Moto360 in the summer? Through Lenovo or Google?

Thanks for all your comments!
27th March 2014, 05:16 AM   |  #2  
iamelton's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 320
 
893 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
whoever is in charge of this, im going for it!
27th March 2014, 11:43 AM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Flag Cambridge
Thanks Meter: 34
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2005
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafik.1

Hi all,

I wanted more information about this specific thing that comes up on google searches about motorola and android wear.
Have any of you noticed that Moto360 and Motorola are still being branded as a "Google company"? What gives?

I'm wary of purchasing the Moto360 cause essentially, Lenovo is taking over debuting this summer. How would warranty then work? Customer service? Replacements? Google has been fantastic for the most part with replacements and warranty, also pricing, so who would then take the lead for the Moto360 in the summer? Through Lenovo or Google?

Thanks for all your comments!

this branding for the moto360 will have been in the works for months, so it's easy to think that the Google Company thing is just there due to being done before the sale to Lenovo. AFAIK the only thing google kept from Motorola was the advanced stuff for project tango and some patents.
27th March 2014, 02:37 PM   |  #4  
Rafik.1's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOS

this branding for the moto360 will have been in the works for months, so it's easy to think that the Google Company thing is just there due to being done before the sale to Lenovo. AFAIK the only thing google kept from Motorola was the advanced stuff for project tango and some patents.

For sure, but post-Google, doesn't it worry you? Who will fulfil the replacements, warranties, etc.? Google will only keep doing it for so long. The after-service, customer service, etc. I would imagine Google and Lenovo incorporated in the Motorola resale contract the exact responsibilities, but it would seriously blow if Lenovo takes over Moto360's aftermath! Unless Google keeps the smart-watch department, but I highly doubt Lenovo would accept a rebuy condition without one of the fastest and promising area.....
28th March 2014, 07:23 AM   |  #5  
kendiep's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3
 
20 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Lenovo did buy Motorola, but the actual transfer won't happen until 2 years after the agreement. Even if Google launched the product through Motorola, Motorola is still technically the manufacturer, so I'm pretty sure when you want to get something replaced, it's Motorola, whether it's Google or Lenovo.
28th March 2014, 04:07 PM   |  #6  
Rafik.1's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendiep

Lenovo did buy Motorola, but the actual transfer won't happen until 2 years after the agreement. Even if Google launched the product through Motorola, Motorola is still technically the manufacturer, so I'm pretty sure when you want to get something replaced, it's Motorola, whether it's Google or Lenovo.

That makes sense, but I have been told by many who own Motorola devices, that the post-purchase servicing is fulfilled by Google at this stage. Apparently a lot of their replacement units came from Google packaged shipments as opposed to Motorola packaged goods. Could that have been just a temporary thing or not? Essentially, in the supply-chain industry, whatever that is cheaper will ultimately succeed in the manufacturing process... so don't hold your breathe for Motorola to keep its high standards when switching over to Lenovo...
28th March 2014, 10:56 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Moto360
Even if it is Lenovo making the Moto360, wouldn't they essentially be using the same parts that Google/Motorola were planning on using since this has been in the making prior to the buyout?
29th March 2014, 03:14 AM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
19 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2011
Google is more exclusive than lenovo i think..
31st March 2014, 08:42 AM   |  #9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
10 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2011
not google, i think its motorola, but when lenovo buy motorola, it will belong to lenovo. Remeber, IBM thinkpad, its now different before
4th April 2014, 03:09 PM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafik.1

For sure, but post-Google, doesn't it worry you? Who will fulfil the replacements, warranties, etc.? Google will only keep doing it for so long. The after-service, customer service, etc. I would imagine Google and Lenovo incorporated in the Motorola resale contract the exact responsibilities, but it would seriously blow if Lenovo takes over Moto360's aftermath! Unless Google keeps the smart-watch department, but I highly doubt Lenovo would accept a rebuy condition without one of the fastest and promising area.....

Google will continue to do it until there's a lack of user participation and backlash

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes