[APP][4.0+] Omni Notes - Material design + Open source note companion

Search This thread

IDtheTarget

Jun 21, 2010
Great idea is to have a Sync solution based on own synology NAS !
+1

I have a Synology NAS and would love being able to sync to it instead of drop box, google drive, etc.

How do you create a tag? When I try to add a tag to a note, it keeps telling me that I haven't created any tags yet. And I can't see how to add them in the settings.

When I try to add a tag, it should give me the option to select a current one or create a new one.

Thanks!

adolfovm

Nov 25, 2011
Mexico City
Shortcuts on Home Screen

Hey, I really like your app, it is very simple and with a lot of feature I really dig.

One thing I would like is for you to add support to home screen shortcuts to tags, so I can access directly only my Work or Personal tags directly from the home screen, without the need of going inside the application and selecting which ones to review.

It would be a great little feature that I love from the already dead Catch Notes. :(

Reactions: Heisenberg

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
Hey, I really like your app, it is very simple and with a lot of feature I really dig.

One thing I would like is for you to add support to home screen shortcuts to tags, so I can access directly only my Work or Personal tags directly from the home screen, without the need of going inside the application and selecting which ones to review.

It would be a great little feature that I love from the already dead Catch Notes. :(

It's an easy thing so I'll work on that as soon as I can. Thanks for the hint!

Reactions: adolfovm

gylee

Aug 26, 2013
Snippet support

I think it needs to support snippets for a quick text insertion.
I usually have a single note to keep track of daily activities. It would be great if I could just press a button (or make a gesture) to insert the current date, or the current GPS location, or whatever texts I've predefined.

Reactions: Sas0ri

power2top

Aug 16, 2013
Import from .txt support?

Does it import .txt files as notes? I use few notes app like Papyrus, mobislenotes which stores the notes in .txt files in a particular directory. This is also a good things as migration to a new app or backups etc when changing phones is only a matter of moving the folder containing ur notes to the new phone, or backing up on cloud storage etc. Does your app have Import .txt files as Notes features? Thats the first thing for me in any notes app I try since I dont want to tie myself to particular platform.

hawkjm73

Feb 16, 2009
Do you have, or would be willing to include, public intents for controlling the notes?

I'd love to have a note so that could interface well with Tasker (the automation app), such as adding or modifying a note, viewing notes, starting a sync, knowing when a note has been added or changes, or a sync has then place.

Tasker can send and receive public intents very easily, or it has a plugin system, if you're interested in that.

Reactions: Sas0ri

AllSeeyinEye

Dec 16, 2011
Installed the beta after joining the G+ community.
I can't seem to find an option to sync my Google notes. I've got some 25+ notes and lists in Keep and I actually don't feel like manually recreating them in ON.
I'll keep this app installed, but won't use it until it integrates Google notes.

btw, it does look very nice :)

Aerkhanite

Jan 25, 2014
Since the app is open-source, why don't you upload it to F-droid?
F-Droid.org is the only app store for open source Android apps.
It's the preferred app store for people who don't trust Google anymore and such use a AOSP rom + F-Droid.

Reactions: arnesottolo

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
Does it import .txt files as notes? I use few notes app like Papyrus, mobislenotes which stores the notes in .txt files in a particular directory. This is also a good things as migration to a new app or backups etc when changing phones is only a matter of moving the folder containing ur notes to the new phone, or backing up on cloud storage etc. Does your app have Import .txt files as Notes features? Thats the first thing for me in any notes app I try since I dont want to tie myself to particular platform.

Hi,

this could be a not easy thing to do due to various formats that third party apps could use to export their data.
I'm working on supporting Google Keep notes import (right now if you share a note from Keep to ON you'll get the job done and also checklist converted, in most cases) but this feature is not complete already.

What about exporting...
Initially this app had an export tool to csv, that could be good for your needs, but I abandoned it because it was just good to export notes text, without attachments or tags, otherwise I'll put myself in the situation I described you above!

arnesottolo

Feb 13, 2012
Installed the beta after joining the G+ community.
I can't seem to find an option to sync my Google notes. I've got some 25+ notes and lists in Keep and I actually don't feel like manually recreating them in ON.
I'll keep this app installed, but won't use it until it integrates Google notes.

btw, it does look very nice :)

You'll wait forever then!

Google Keep doesn't provide APIs to sync with it.
I could synchronize ON with Google Tasks but I believe its not really useful right now. The future synchronization will be done with "storage" services like DropBox or Google Drive, and later I'll provide a frontend based on Parse to manage your notes directly from a web browser.

But for have your Keep notes into ON you have to share them one by one. Actually this import is not completelly functional but it will be ready soon, I've already moved all my notes from Keep to ON using this method.

aejazhaq

May 25, 2013
Thanks for the app...will definetly try it out tonight...
just wanted to say that i use my tablet frequently for notes taking and it would be awsome if it could integrate file attachments to selected texts in the note so that if i click on that hyperlink it takes my to my gallery or video that i link it with...perhaps in a quick drop down menu by just holding it for a second?

thanks again

power2top

Aug 16, 2013
Hi,

this could be a not easy thing to do due to various formats that third party apps could use to export their data.
I'm working on supporting Google Keep notes import (right now if you share a note from Keep to ON you'll get the job done and also checklist converted, in most cases) but this feature is not complete already.

Why Difficult? All the .txt files are simple text notes some of them written on my PC and moved to my device for being handy which I open in these notes apps. Incase OmniNotes uses a database/custom format to store notes then you would basically read each .txt file from the filesystem directory and import into OmniNotes text note format using your own API!! as if user typed it manually in omni. dont think that is difficult.

Last edited:

nnay

Jun 17, 2010
Paris
Hello @arnesottolo
Your app is great : simple, clean and so fast. Very good work ?
For your information I think I find a bug : if you long press on a tag for editing and you save without any changes, the color is reset to default (I mean the green when you create a tag).

Reactions: arnesottolo

kimnux

Apr 16, 2013
Seoul
Thanks for the great app.

But how about the function ‘easily add Date and Time‘ like the GNotes. It‘s so useful but only GNotes have this function.

Sorry for bad english.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Free and open-source note taking application aimed to have both a lightweight footprint on system performances and simple interface but keeping smart behavior.

I've always used a lot Evernote before, Google Keep later, but I've always felt that both of them were missing something I needed.
    • Evernote is very complete but too complex generally speaking, offline notes are available only on paid version and "too many clicks" are required to accomplish a task.
    • Google Keep is perfect to me for its interface but on the other side it has a poor multimedia attachment support, needs a registered account (like Evernote), and has only manual notes sorting.
    So, starting from this point I started developing from scratch an open source application that is still far from being complete but is growing thanks to actual beta stage users feedback.

Features

☆ Material Design interface
    ☆ Basic add, modify, archive, trash and delete notes actions
    ☆ Share, merge and search notes
    ☆ Image, audio and generic file attachments
    ☆ Manage your notes using tags and categories
    ☆ To-do list
    ☆ Sketch-note mode
    ☆ Notes shortcut on home screen
    ☆ Export/import notes to backup
    ☆ Google Now integration: just tell "write a note" followed by the content
    ☆ Multiple widgets, DashClock extension, Android 4.2 lockscreen compatibility
    ☆ Multilanguage: 30 languages supported

Info

Community: https://www.facebook.com/OmniNotes/
    Source code: https://github.com/federicoiosue/Omni-Notes
    Translation project: https://translate.omninotes.app/
    Hello,

a new Beta is going to be published on Play Store.

This one took me a lot of time due to the lot of work I've done rewriting the whole core code of the app acquiring this way the ability of playing with animations and screen transactions without losing retro-compatibility.

This is far from being just an aesthetics decision, I believe it brings a lot of more usability giving some less "on/off" effect and more dynamism to the layout movements.

Back to the new Beta features the two major that have been introduced are the generic file attachments support and custom fonts size to improve (once again) usability.

This build is still affected from many bugs (mainly widget's related) but I decided to release it anyway mainly to offer to the translators something more palpable to give a look at, so it's strongly recommended do make a backup of your notes before upgrading.

Thank you all.

【by Omni Notes】
    A new version on the application #OmniNotes has been released on Google Play with a lot a new features, check it out!

- New "Expanded View" visualization of notes list, with attachments preview
    - Swipe to delete gesture
    - Deletion and archiviation action cancellables with overlayed undo-bar
    - Application tour to show Omni Notes' basic features
    - You can create shortcuts to notes on launcher home
    - Google Now integration: just say "write a note", followed by content
    - Home and Lockscreen (Android >= 4.2.2 only) widgets with scrolling notes list (only Android 3.2 or later)
    - DashClock extension support
    - Security question system in case you forget the password
    - A lot more fixes and improvements

14+-+1
    14+-+2

A big thank you (as always) to the translators that are helping to bring to all the users a localized version on the app enduring contribution to the continuous changes that I make to strings! 
    A new beta version is out with Springpad importing support!

Check it out!
    A new release of the app has been released as FOSS and it's available using F-Droid!

https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=omni+notes&fdid=it.feio.android.omninotes.foss