FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

Top Forum Discussions

[4.0+] Guardian - Process Watcher

3,473 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,928

By dk_zero-cool, Recognized Contributor on 14th July 2014, 06:45 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Announcement from dk_zero-cool: Keep watch over your processes (Linux, System and Applications, Services) and make sure that they behave.
Guardian - Process Watcher

Click image for larger version

Name:	web_banner.png
Views:	680
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	3258374

One of the most important tools on my device, is the good old Watchdog that, since the beginning of my SmartPhone era, have watched over my devices and alerted me whenever an app or a system process started to misbehave. But the dog is getting old, already am I finding myself having issues on newer ROM's and the project seams to have died a long time ago. So to save the future of process watching, I decided to create a new watch app, and at the same time trough in some more features. So with no further ado I present Guardian.

Guardian has been build to avoid false reporting. It will not alert you about a game that you are playing, or a music player that is playing music in the background or a video player that you are currently using to watch a movie. It will in most cases not alert you about a small temp. sync operation either. It will alert you whenever these processes keeps spending a lot of process time after they should have quit. Like after you left the game, turned off the music or closed your movie.

Also you can configure Guardian to handle rough processes for you in different circumstances. For an example if you are sleeping, you may possibly not notice any alerts from Guardian. In this case Guardian can force close the rough process automatically so that you can avoid waking up to a burning device or one with no power left.

XDA:DevDB Information
Guardian, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
dk_zero-cool

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.2.0
Stable Release Date: 2015-06-05

Created 2014-07-14
Last Updated 2015-06-04
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-28-21-59-07.png
Views:	1002
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	3258345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-11-12-02-24.png
Views:	964
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	3258346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-28-22-00-52.png
Views:	944
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	3258347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-03-28-22-01-40.png
Views:	900
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	3258348  
Last edited by dk_zero-cool; 12th April 2015 at 02:07 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dk_zero-cool For This Useful Post: [ View ]

13th April 2015, 12:52 AM |#2  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 250

More
Hi, I just found this app while having a look at your 'Xposed Additions' which is on sale atm.

I read the description and thought: Wow!
Watchdog was also a loyal fellow for a long time on my devices, but it seems that it died in the past...

Your app seems to be very promising and as far as I can rate it now, it's doing what it's supposed to do
I'll give more feedback after some days of testing - but I really needed to say thank you for this!
13th April 2015, 06:17 AM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Horsens

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depressed T.Bear

Hi, I just found this app while having a look at your 'Xposed Additions' which is on sale atm.

I read the description and thought: Wow!
Watchdog was also a loyal fellow for a long time on my devices, but it seems that it died in the past...

Your app seems to be very promising and as far as I can rate it now, it's doing what it's supposed to do
I'll give more feedback after some days of testing - but I really needed to say thank you for this!

I have had it running on my device for several month while developing it, and it has been working quite good. But the real testing is when it hit's multiple devices and users with mixed device use. So feedback would be great.
13th April 2015, 07:54 PM |#4  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,559

Donate to Me
More
Is root required??
13th April 2015, 08:02 PM |#5  
Flag Horsens

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFCaputo113

Is root required??

Not at all. There is a root option that can be enabled. That is used to kill processes that cannot be killed using regular Android tools. Other than that, nothing special is needed to use this, except for a device with Android of cause :s
The Following User Says Thank You to dk_zero-cool For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th April 2015, 02:54 PM |#6  
Flag Berlin

More
I'm running your app for several days now. It's stable and doesn't drain the battery - that's good
The only alerts I get (daily) are from the 'Android System'.
A Whitelist feature for that would be great!
16th April 2015, 04:17 PM |#7  
Flag Horsens

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depressed T.Bear

I'm running your app for several days now. It's stable and doesn't drain the battery - that's good
The only alerts I get (daily) are from the 'Android System'.
A Whitelist feature for that would be great!

Yes battery drain was the most important thing on my mind when making this. No point in watching for rough apps if the watcher acts as a rough app itself.

Whitelist option is on my todo among other things. However maybe you should check this system alert problem? I have been running this app during development for the past 7 month and the only alerts that I got, was the one I triggered for testing purposes. If you don't think that anything is wrong, could you tell me what you are doing to trigger this? Because if this is a false alert, the service should be changed to handle it more correctly. The app should work in a way that makes whitelisting an unnecessary feature.
The Following User Says Thank You to dk_zero-cool For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st April 2015, 11:24 PM |#8  
Flag Berlin

More
I can't reproduce it, I simply reflashed my rom, and the problem was gone.
It occurs before over night.

I recently got alerts for titanium backup.
22nd April 2015, 05:41 AM |#9  
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Unexpectedly it made my phone stable
Is it weird that my xperia sola ****ty phone works well with guardian. No launcher redraws anymore and I can multitask now. Does it have memory optimization or something.? Also how can I enable root functions? Does it need exposed framework in root? The root functions etc is grayed out.
22nd April 2015, 06:06 AM |#10  
Flag Horsens

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee77

Is it weird that my xperia sola ****ty phone works well with guardian. No launcher redraws anymore and I can multitask now. Does it have memory optimization or something.? Also how can I enable root functions? Does it need exposed framework in root? The root functions etc is grayed out.

It does call some of the Android process tools. Maybe when doing this, it triggers a process sync which cleans up the list properly.

Root allows you to kill all processes, not just background and non-perceptible and also not just Android processes. It is unlocked in the payed version. Xposed Framework is not needed with this option, but it can be used ones I add Wakelock monitoring which will require Xposed.
13th May 2015, 12:52 PM |#11  
Flag Quezon City
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up
Ah. Yeah it does make apps seems run faster etc. I tested this to ****ty phone and well it does work wonders. Ram management on xperia 2012 seems the culprit. I suggest installing this to 1gb ram phones and tablet to maximize the effects

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)