[APP][4.0.3+] Open Camera

17th August 2014, 04:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 95

28 posts
More
Open Camera icon

Open Camera is an Open Source camera app for Android that I've been working on.

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rge.opencamera
Or install APK directly from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencamera/files/
Open Camera is also available on F-Droid.

Homepage: http://opencamera.sourceforge.net/
Code: https://sourceforge.net/p/opencamera/code/

Features include:
- Option to auto-stabilise using accelerometer so pictures are perfectly level.
- All the usual options like zoom, flash, focus modes (including a "manual" mode to only focus on touch), focus/metering areas, exposure lock, scene modes, color effects, white balance, ISO, exposure compensation, video recording.
- Options for timer and auto-repeated photo taking.
- Configurable volume keys (take picture, zoom, or change exposure compensation).
- Optional geotagging, including compass direction (GPSImgDirection, GPSImgDirectionRef).
- Option to optimise UI for left and right-handed users.

Open Camera

Open Camera (auto-stabilise feature)

I want to make Open Camera better, so bug reports and feature suggestions are most welcome (either email mark dot harman at ntlworld dot com, PM, at http://sourceforge.net/p/opencamera/discussion/ , or leaving a comment here).

Also a request for help: one of the challenges I've had is the wide variety of different cameras or camera drivers on different devices, and sometimes bugs happen that I can't reproduce on my devices. In particular I've had various reports of problems on Cyanogenmod. If any Android developers out there are willing to help out with investigating issues on any devices/platforms you encounter problems with, this will help Open Camera become a better camera app and I would greatly appreciate it Or simply sending me a logcat may help.
The Following 73 Users Say Thank You to mdwh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 64

433 posts
I have tried this before. It's an excellent app that takes great pictures.
I'm already using snap camera so have no need for it, but it is better than pretty much all the other apps in terms of picture quality except for a couple.
Last edited by tmzbeme; 18th August 2014 at 06:56 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tmzbeme For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 09:05 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 160

1,080 posts
Im not too big on comparing the quality of vids and pics between camera apps, to my experience its usually around the same. However, what matters is functionality and I must say this app is really nice. Buttons with quick access to the functions, etc. Especially "exposure lock" i like!

However, it seriously falls behind on the visual part. I know that in a sense it doesn't matter but it's always a nice way to finish off a good app.

May I suggest something in style with the Samsung S5 camera app? (http://i.imgur.com/iy5w369.jpg)

Functions on the left side for easy access with left hand and then shutter button + video/photo mode button on the right.

Another little thing, how about a seperate shortcut for videomode ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kocayine For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th August 2014, 10:22 PM   |  #4  
Flag Mauá
Thanks Meter: 6

27 posts
More
I'd suggest a feature that I only saw in snap camera and Moto X camera.
the touch to capture.
instead of only focusing on touch, focus and take the picture
The Following User Says Thank You to fabio000 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 10:38 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

28 posts
More
Thanks for the comments, some great suggestions.

* I like the icons being along the top myself, but I'll add an option to have them go down the side for people who prefer that.

* An option for touch to capture sounds a good idea too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocayine

Another little thing, how about a seperate shortcut for videomode ?

Can I clarify what you mean by this - there's an icon to switch between photo and video, or do you mean to change video resolution? Or something else?
The Following User Says Thank You to mdwh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 10:40 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 160

1,080 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwh

Can I clarify what you mean by this - there's an icon to switch between photo and video, or do you mean to change video resolution? Or something else?

Yeah, sorry, I was being unclear. I just mean in the launcher. A camera shortcut and a video shortcut.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kocayine For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th August 2014, 11:50 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

28 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kocayine

Yeah, sorry, I was being unclear. I just mean in the launcher. A camera shortcut and a video shortcut.

That makes sense - have added it to the TODO.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdwh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 02:27 AM   |  #8  
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 222

611 posts
More
Hi,

I just installing your camera and my first impression is . It can detect wide resolution for my camera (16:9) where other competitor can't . For now I found bug related to save folder location, each time I open this setting app always tell path not found until I take one photo. Maybe because folder don't exists then app throw an error.

Anyway I didn't explore much this app but here some suggestion:
  1. quick button to change resolution settings
  2. quick button to change camera mode
  3. Maybe HDR mode either software or hardware

Other suggestion will be added later
The Following User Says Thank You to hadi_rena For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th August 2014, 10:57 AM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

28 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadi_rena

For now I found bug related to save folder location, each time I open this setting app always tell path not found until I take one photo. Maybe because folder don't exists then app throw an error.

Oops yes, that's a bug in the new file chooser, I'll get a fix out for that.

I want to have more accessibility to other options, though need to think about how to do this (more icons means more clutter / running out of space) - possibly having a fully customised GUI, or a swipe down for more options, or other ideas are welcome.

Hardware HDR should be supported if it's offered as a scene mode by the device; doing it in software is something I may do in future.
19th August 2014, 12:24 PM   |  #10  
Flag Bandung
Thanks Meter: 222

611 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwh

Oops yes, that's a bug in the new file chooser, I'll get a fix out for that.

I want to have more accessibility to other options, though need to think about how to do this (more icons means more clutter / running out of space) - possibly having a fully customised GUI, or a swipe down for more options, or other ideas are welcome.

Hardware HDR should be supported if it's offered as a scene mode by the device; doing it in software is something I may do in future.

I vote for swipe gesture to open more options. We can have 4 directions for swiping

Thanks for pointing out HDR mode in scene settings

The Following User Says Thank You to hadi_rena For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
camera, open source, photo, video
Previous Thread Next Thread