Facebook Chat Enabler Reborn
Notice: this project has been deprecated.
as you know the famous Facebook Chat Re-Enabler (old thread's OP available below) stopped working when Facebook updated their app to the v28, now after many hours spent finding a solution in the previous months I'm proud to present this new solution!
I state that personally I don't want to be forced to install an app (which I hate for many reasons) only to use Facebook chat or send/receive its messages.
Some disadvantages of Facebook+Messenger installed at same time:
- Increased battery drain: main thread+background ones for services and receivers are always active
- Increased load on general resources (like CPU and RAM memory) for the reasons mentioned above
- You're forced to install another app to chat while you could safely use an unique (Facebook app)
Advantages of Facebook+Facebook Chat Enabler:
- Never executed by the operating system, meaning no more battery drain and no resource eating at all (Facebook app itself drains battery)
- Chat and send/receive messages in main Facebook app without Messenger
Since Reborn version's release I will not share Enabler's apks anymore (and you're not allowed to), but a simple app which allows you to download and install suggested Chat Enabler version for the Facebook app found on your device, called Facebook Chat Enabler Helper:
- Easy to use, just two buttons
- Facebook Chat Re-Enabler for Facebook app until v27
- Facebook Chat Enabler Reborn for Facebook app starting from v28
- Override mode to let the user choose what version wants
- Support text and little how-to for the user
- No extra permissions required:
- android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE is required to determine if the device has an Internet connection available
- android.permission.INTERNET is required to download and let you install chosen or suggested Chat Enabler version between Re-Enabler and Reborn
- android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE is required to write in memory the Chat Enabled package which is being downloaded
- Root not required
Note for Reborn: it is a modified Messenger package, for several reasons its manifest can't be edited so I had to keep it untouched. Originally requires many permissions which are not used at all by Chat Enabler's modified package, therefore completely safe. I'm not going to track you, your wife or your friends
APK file: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347841072
APK file (mirror): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...HBlNGFSMEk0NHc
Issue report: http://goo.gl/forms/hYglu5VrcM
Warning: In case of devices which have Messenger installed out of the box and not user-uninstallable, Facebook Chat Enabler Helper can't uninstall it. This is the limitation of having Messenger in /system partition, therefore root is required to get rid of it. Do not blame me or my work for this, neither report it in the issue report. It's not my fault!
Instead, follow this:
- Search for root methods available for your device and root it
- Install Titanium Backup, open it and search for Messenger, then uninstall
- Install my app from the links above
Old thread's OP:
Facebook Chat Re-Enabler
Update 29 August: I made a new Facebook Chat Enabler for versions starting from v28 (tested until v44 for now), and finished today to develop and test the Installer which is an user-friendly app to fastly & easily download and install Chat Enabler depending on what Facebook app version is installed on the device. Also features an "Override mode" to choose yourself which Chat Enabler version you want.
Public release scheduled for Sunday 30 August, stay tuned!
Rollback to Facebook v27 how-to:
- Uninstall currently installed Facebook
- Download v27 according to your Android version (check in Settings->About device->Android version):
- Install downloaded APK file
- Install Facebook Chat Re-Enabler if it's not installed
- Chat again without Messenger
For who already has a Facebook version before v28 just install Facebook Chat Re-Enabler
Hello guys. As most of you know, chat in Facebook app doesn't work anymore and now you need to install Messenger app. At the moment is not the same for all the countries, as far as I know they are slowly migrating chat from app to Messenger only.
I made this simple app to enable chat again in main Facebook app without installing Messenger.
Root is not needed and works between Android 2.3 and 5.1, on any device that supports Facebook app.
Disadvantages of Facebook+Messenger installed at same time: HUGE battery drain and RAM consumption, device may slow down etc. (especially low-end devices)
Advantages of Facebook Chat Enabler: It's only an enabler and is never executed by the system, meaning no battery drain/RAM consumption/resource eating at all. (Facebook app itself drains battery)
If you have Messenger installed, uninstall it before installing my apk. After installation you don't need to do anything else, no icon is showed in menu and chat will magically work!
New updates in future may break this (and to use again Chat Enabler you'll have to install last confirmed working version)
Confirmed working on following Facebook versions:
- Any 27.x.x.x.x
- Any 26.x.x.x.x
- Any 25.x.x.x.x
- Any 24.x.x.x.x
- Any 23.x.x.x.x
- Any 22.x.x.x.x
- Any 21.x.x.x.x
- Any 20.x.x.x.x+any version before
Old version: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001608389
For devices that have Messenger out of the box, without possibility to uninstall it:
A - root required