[APP][4.0.3+] QuickEdit Text Editor

Search This thread

adrian.aitken

Sep 28, 2013
The root feature is implemented in the latest version 0.6.0, please update it directly from Google Play and have a try.

If there is any problem using the root feature, please leave your comment here.

Thanks for using QuickEdit!

Root works for me but never asked for SuperSu - I take it you just invoke 'su' directly? Not that I mind or care :)

Many thanks
Adrian

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
I don't know which type of files are supported, but for example i can't see any files(build.prop) in /system
Only folders.

I am sorry for this mistake. Currently when opening the file, it will only show folders and text files, the "prop" file extension is not treated as text file. I will added it in next update. If you want to see more files which are not shown in QuickEdit, it might also be file extension problem, please let me know, I will add the extension to the file filter.

Currently you can also open any system file from root explorer, it can be edited and saved by QuickEdit.

Currently you should be able to edit and save all text files in system folders, such as configurations under "/app/data" folder.

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
Root works for me but never asked for SuperSu - I take it you just invoke 'su' directly? Not that I mind or care :)

Many thanks
Adrian

Please launch SuperSu to have a look. Is there QuickEdit in the app list or any log related to QuickEdit?

QuickEdit is smart, it only request root feature when necessary, such as when:

1. list system folders, such as "/data"
2. read system folders
3. write system folders

In other usage scenarios, the root feature will not be invoked.

Please have a check.

Last edited:

adrian.aitken

Sep 28, 2013
Please launch SuperSu to have a look. Is there QuickEdit in the app list or any log related to QuickEdit?

QuickEdit is smart, it only request root feature when necessary,

Yep, it was me ! I'd set SuperSu to 'grant' rather than 'prompt'. Changed it back to 'prompt' and it did indeed ask for permission.

Many thanks
Adrian

dron39

Sep 20, 2009
I am sorry for this mistake. Currently when opening the file, it will only show folders and text files, the "prop" file extension is not treated as text file. I will added it in next update. If you want to see more files which are not shown in QuickEdit, it might also be file extension problem, please let me know, I will add the extension to the file filter.

Currently you can also open any system file from root explorer, it can be edited and saved by QuickEdit.

Currently you should be able to edit and save all text files in system folders, such as configurations under "/app/data" folder.
Ok. I will wait for new version. :)
But why you use filters for file extensions? For performance or? I understand that it is Notepad and not file manager :) but i think it should display all files with and without any file extensions.
IMHO.

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
Ok. I will wait for new version. :)
But why you use filters for file extensions? For performance or? I understand that it is Notepad and not file manager :) but i think it should display all files with and without any file extensions.
IMHO.

I am afraid user will use this application to open irrelevant files, such as APK file, compressed file or even video file. All these files commonly are huge(>100MB) and can not be handled by text editor. Open these kind of files will lead application to force close. So I filter them to avoid this kind of error.

RenderBroken

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2013
/home/renderbroken/android
The root feature is implemented in the latest version 0.6.0, please update it directly from Google Play and have a try.

If there is any problem using the root feature, please leave your comment here.

Thanks for using QuickEdit!

Thanks! Since you have followed through, so have I! I gladly purchased the Pro version not that root support has been enabled. This is hands down the best editor out there. Especially the syntax recognition. I Dev my own kernel and am constantly tweaking and looking at files and such. This makes it a breeze and its fluid, simple, and it just works. No BS required. Thanks for listening to the community and your hard work!

Kind Regards,
Zachariah

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
Thanks! Since you have followed through, so have I! I gladly purchased the Pro version not that root support has been enabled. This is hands down the best editor out there. Especially the syntax recognition. I Dev my own kernel and am constantly tweaking and looking at files and such. This makes it a breeze and its fluid, simple, and it just works. No BS required. Thanks for listening to the community and your hard work!

Kind Regards,
Zachariah

Thanks for your support! If you have any advice when using this application, please feel free to leave your comment here.

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com

Kind Regards,
Zachariah

Thanks for your comments in Google Play:)

Reactions: RenderBroken

RenderBroken

Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2013
/home/renderbroken/android
Hi fast and great developer. I've a few request.

1. Disable option the back button. Back button leads to accidents.
2. Restore last session. As the same web browser. Saving the tabs.
3. Remember location when opening a file .
4. Auto save.

Thanks much.

@rhmsoft
I have agree with all of these. When I edit a file I usually save before backing out but when I do try to back out with the back button it is a little inconvenient having it undo everything til its either undid everything or I just exit the program through the drop down menu. I do like the fact that when it does get to the point to exit it asks you to hit back one more time.

Autosave needs to be a feature that the user can enable through settings and not enabled by default.

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
Hi fast and great developer. I've a few request.

1. Disable option the back button. Back button leads to accidents.
2. Restore last session. As the same web browser. Saving the tabs.
3. Remember location when opening a file .
4. Auto save.

Thanks much.

Thanks for your advice. I will consider them in next release.

May I ask some questions on them:

3. Remember location: what is the difference between remember location and restore session? do you mean remember the exact line number?
4. Auto save: when should auto-save be triggered? when the app goes to the background?

rhmsoft

Oct 8, 2014
Irvine
rhmsoft.com
@rhmsoft
I have agree with all of these. When I edit a file I usually save before backing out but when I do try to back out with the back button it is a little inconvenient having it undo everything til its either undid everything or I just exit the program through the drop down menu. I do like the fact that when it does get to the point to exit it asks you to hit back one more time.

Autosave needs to be a feature that the user can enable through settings and not enabled by default.

Thanks for sharing your advice.

I will add an option to turn off the back-key undo feature off.

If I add auto-save feature, I will make it select-able in settings and not enabled by default.

AndroTech

Sep 30, 2007
Could you paste a snippet example here? Timestamp also has many formats. Thanks.

Sample
2:55 PM 10/21/2014 <-- This is the date timestamp section
Shopping for Holiday

2:56 PM 10/21/2014 <-- This is the date timestamp section
Ticket booking

Date Timestamp you can defined based on your preference. Also this feature is available in Jota Text Editor as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    Is there a way to backup the apps settings, such as theme, storage manager sources etc.

Have I missed it somewhere?

If there isn't it would be great if this functionality could be added please.

Thanks.
    I use Swift Backup (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.swiftapps.swiftbackup) but it needs root permission to work.
    Hi,
    Is there a way to backup the apps settings, such as theme, storage manager sources etc.

Have I missed it somewhere?

If there isn't it would be great if this functionality could be added please.

Thanks.
    There is no backup feature in current version. I thought there are not many settings need to be retained. But I will consider this in future releases.
    The license is bound to your Google account, you can use it forever for that account, on unlimited devices.

What do you mean by removing a tab? You can use "Close" menu item from file category to close current tab. The tab itself is too small and not big enough for a close icon inside the tab.
    rhmsoft . . . Yes I finally figured out what the ‘X’ means! I was thrilled to be able to remove about 10 tabs that had accumulated. Is this App just the greatest or what?! Do you know I think this is the first Android app I have ever used that just aces the ability for the user to flawlessly select text, even when it is jammed up against the left edge of the screen. Editing has never been this >accurate. It’s just a little treasure. :)

As for licensing I am bombarded with ads on both of my other phones (for whatever reason) so I’m getting licenses for both of my other phones. I don’t mind if they are supposed to be registered as well; consider it an act of love for what is quickly becoming my most indispensable app. I do wish we could have a yellow background and control over the color of the current line . . .
    Introduction

I have made an advanced text editor on Android - QuickEdit Text Editor.
    It includes a lot of optimization on performance and user experience, the speed and feedback is much better than current published text editor apps on Google Play.
    Since this app is mainly for developers. I think it is very suitable to introduce it in this forum. Please download and have a try.

Download

Download it directly from Google Play:

QR Code:

If there is any problem with Google Play, you can also review and download it from my website:
    http://rhmsoft.com/?p=283

Features

* Enhanced notepad application with numerous improvements.
    * Code editor and highlight syntax for more than 40 different programming languages.
    * High performance and real time feedback on large text files (more than 10,000 lines).
    * Show and hide line numbers.
    * Undo and redo modifications without limit.
    * Display, increase and decrease line indents.
    * Fast selection and editing.
    * Smooth scroll in both vertical and horizontal direction.
    * Directly goto specified line number.
    * Quickly search and replace.
    * Easily input color hex.
    * Automatically detect character encoding.
    * Open file from recent opened and added files.
    * Support both light and dark theme.
    * Optimized for both phone and tablet.

Supported Programming Languages

Assembly (AGC/AEA), AutoIt, Bash, Basic, C, C#, C++, CSS, Clojure, Dart, Elixir, Erlang, F#, Fortran, Go, HTML, Haskell, Java, JavaScript, Kotlin, LLVM, LaTeX, Lisp, Logcat, Lua, Makefile, Matlab, Mumps, Nemerle, OCaml, PHP, Pascal, PowerShell, Protocol Buffers, Python, R, R Documentation, Ruby, Rust, S, Smali, SML, SQL, Scala, Swift, TCL, VBScript, VHDL '93, Visual Basic, Wiki, XML, XQuery, YAML.

Supported Application Languages

English, Arabic, Belarusian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Czech, Dutch, Estonian, German, Greek, French, Hungarian, Italian, Lithuanian, Japanese, Korean, Bahasa Indonesia, Persian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Thai, Turkish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, European Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese.

Snapshots

All snapshots have been re-sized and compressed to save your bandwidth.

10 inch tablet landscape(Nexus 10):

10-1.png

10-2.png

8 inch tablet portrait(LG G Pad 8.3):

7-1.png
    7-2.png

5 inch phone portrait(Nexus 5):

1.png
    2.png
    5.png

3.png
    4.png
    6.png

Promo Video

Feedback

Please leave your comment or request in this thread directly. I will visit and reply regularly.
    Also you can send any suggestion to my support email: support@rhmsoft.com.
    Thanks for your support! Enjoy it!

XDA:DevDB Information
    QuickEdit Text Editor, App for the Apps & Games

Contributors
    rhmsoft

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 1.1.2
    Stable Release Date: 2016-03-30

Created 2014-10-18
    Last Updated 2016-03-31
    Change History

Please refer to following page:

https://rhmsoft.com/qedit/changelog.html
    I have converted this thread to DevDB project.

If you have bug report or feature request, you can also post them in associated tab of this project.

Thanks for using!
    Status Update

I spent a lot of time to develop a new material designed music player in recent months, which is why QuickEdit has not been updated.
    Now this music player is finished, here is the link to it in xda-developers: http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-pulsar-music-player-t3197336
    It is named Pulsar Music Player. Please download and have a try!

So I have more time to maintain QuickEdit now. There are lots of features in plan, and also some bugs. They will be released and fixed in future releases soon.:) Thanks.
    Best Editor App, been using it...
    keep up the good work :)