FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (May 15 – 30)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

[APP][ROOT][2.2+]ScreenOff - Soft Screen Off(Respects Smart Lock Feature) v1.2/v2.0b

Thanks Meter: 29

By keertikumar_ws, Senior Member on 4th January 2015, 07:13 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi,

Important : Requires ROOT

This is a simple App that emulates the click of Power Button.

Handy when u want to reduce wear and tear of the physical button or if the button is not working.

Currently the following method of Trigger are available:

- Using the Swipe Up Assist action which usually opens the Google Now App
- Application icon (In Launcher)
- Shortcut
- Intent Support - Use 'in.pathri.screenoff.SCREEN_OFF' as Intent action to trigger screen off from ANY App, including TASKER

Following are planned to be added:

- Widget (Is it Needed?? )
- Tasker Extension

Advantage over other similar apps in Market:

The usual 'Screen Off' 'Screen Lock' Apps that are available in market, makes the 'Smart Lock' feature introduced in Lollipop not work. Also this makes the timeout period set in the 'Automatically Lock' security settings to not work.

Since my App uses shell commands (and hence the need for Root) to emulate Power Button press, both Smart Lock and 'Automatically Lock' settings work.

Disclaimer:
AFAIK should not cause any problems in any device since nothing dangerous is being used. But still the usual disclaimer : ' I am not responsible for any damage done to your device, hand, home etc... LOL '

Have tested so far in the following Mobiles. Would be glad if others test it out in various mobiles and report here.
Nexus 5
HTC One X

Change Log:
v0.1 - 5th Jan:
- Initial Version with only Google Now Swipe gesture support

v0.2 - 8th Jan:
- Added the following:
  • Application launcher
  • Shortcut
  • Intent Support : 'in.pathri.screenoff.SCREEN_OFF'

v1.0 - 18th Jan:
Modified code to support more Devices. Probably must work in all Android devices irrespective of Android Version

v1.1 - 20th Jan
Shouldn't be showing in recents anymore

v1.2 - 20th March
Added icon for the swipe up gesture
Fixed a bug that was causing adding shortcut to crash in certain launchers(AFAIK GEL based)

v2.0b - 30th March
Adding a new material icon - thanks to @slider112
Attached Files
File Type: apk ScreenOff_v1.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (352.2 KB, 486 views)
File Type: apk ScreenOff_v2_big_icon.apk - [Click for QR Code] (393.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: apk ScreenOff_v2_small_icon.apk - [Click for QR Code] (393.0 KB, 414 views)
File Type: apk ScreenOff_v1.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (352.2 KB, 486 views)
File Type: apk ScreenOff_v2_big_icon.apk - [Click for QR Code] (393.0 KB, 172 views)
File Type: apk ScreenOff_v2_small_icon.apk - [Click for QR Code] (393.0 KB, 414 views)
Last edited by keertikumar_ws; 30th March 2015 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Adding v2 beta
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to keertikumar_ws For This Useful Post: [ View ]

4th January 2015, 07:55 PM |#2  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 161

More
Cant we turn off screen from tasker alone
5th January 2015, 02:30 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thahim

Cant we turn off screen from tasker alone

That feature is not yet available. It is planned though in future updates
If possible can you verify If the swipe up gesture is turning screen off in your phone? Would like to confirm whether my App is working across devices

Thanks
5th January 2015, 03:13 AM |#4  
Flag Karachi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by keertikumar_ws

That feature is not yet available. It is planned though in future updates
If possible can you verify If the swipe up gesture is turning screen off in your phone? Would like to confirm whether my App is working across devices

Thanks

It brings my magazines app.
What I meant to say is that we can do this with tasker.
5th January 2015, 05:49 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It brings my magazines app.
What I meant to say is that we can do this with tasker.

AFAIK, If we use tasker to screen off, it will immediately lock and would not respect the Smart Lock feature. Please correct me If am wrong.

Regarding the gesture bringing up the magazine app, have u configured the swipe up gesture do that by default ? Or After installing this App,the swipe up gesture got assigned to it?
5th January 2015, 05:56 AM |#6  
Flag Karachi

More
Quote:

AFAIK, If we use tasker to screen off, it will immediately lock and would not respect the Smart Lock feature. Please correct me If am wrong.

Regarding the gesture bringing up the magazine app, have u configured the swipe up gesture do that by default ? Or After installing this App,the swipe up gesture got assigned to it?

This is default action on my phone. I can't reconfigure it.
5th January 2015, 06:14 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

This is default action on my phone. I can't reconfigure it.

Oh ok. Is it possible for u to clear defaults for that magazine app and test out this App. Just wanted to be sure it works across devices

Btw, what device are you using?
5th January 2015, 06:21 AM |#8  
Flag Karachi

More
Quote:

Oh ok. Is it possible for u to clear defaults for that magazine app and test out this App. Just wanted to be sure it works across devices

Btw, what device are you using?

No its by defaultfs, and this action can't be changed on note 3.
5th January 2015, 10:00 AM |#9  
Flag Würzburg
Thanks Meter: 32

More
I want to use this app with Nova Launcher.. Double tap Funktion .. Choose app under nova settings. But i couldn't choose your App. It isn't also not in my App drawer.

Sent from my Nexus 5
5th January 2015, 11:34 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chennai

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleineronkl

I want to use this app with Nova Launcher.. Double tap Funktion .. Choose app under nova settings. But i couldn't choose your App. It isn't also not in my App drawer.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Currently this app supports Google Now swipe up gesture only. Other forms of opening the App will be updated soon
The Following User Says Thank You to keertikumar_ws For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
screen lock, screen off, screen off and lock, smart lock, soft lock button
Previous Thread Next Thread