FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP]Simple Recovery Switcher

6,341 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,290

By graffixnyc, Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer on 25th August 2014, 12:50 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
23rd January 2016, 07:06 PM |#51  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Where to find a stock recovery of my grand neo plus

6th February 2016, 07:06 PM |#52  

More
does not go back to stock
Initial situation: Nexus 5 running MMB29S with TWRP 2.8.7.1, unlocked loader, systemless root.
New security update came out and wanted to bring recovery back to stock to try and install it.

Before trying this app, I had attempted to reflash stock recovery from ADB. Flashing is successful but booting into recovery gives me the "dead droid with red message" error.
Booted back into system to confirm it was ok, then flashed TWRP again from ADB. Confirmed TWRP is working and wiped cache, just in case.
Retried flashing stock recovery, same result. Again back to TWRP. So far all with ADB and not the app.

At this point I decided I would give this app a try so I copied both recoveries with appropriate names and flashed. Results are just like the manual case: stock fails, TWRP works ok.

What could be the problem? Has anyone tried it with a Nexus 5 and Marshmallow?
13th March 2016, 10:44 AM |#53  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboaboit

Initial situation: Nexus 5 running MMB29S with TWRP 2.8.7.1, unlocked loader, systemless root.
New security update came out and wanted to bring recovery back to stock to try and install it.

Before trying this app, I had attempted to reflash stock recovery from ADB. Flashing is successful but booting into recovery gives me the "dead droid with red message" error.
Booted back into system to confirm it was ok, then flashed TWRP again from ADB. Confirmed TWRP is working and wiped cache, just in case.
Retried flashing stock recovery, same result. Again back to TWRP. So far all with ADB and not the app.

At this point I decided I would give this app a try so I copied both recoveries with appropriate names and flashed. Results are just like the manual case: stock fails, TWRP works ok.

What could be the problem? Has anyone tried it with a Nexus 5 and Marshmallow?

that "dead droid with red message" IS the stock recovery pre-screen. Just hold Power and THEN, immediately, press Volume Up.
The Following User Says Thank You to sedalatianz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sedalatianz Ad-Free
13th March 2016, 02:37 PM |#54  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalatianz

that "dead droid with red message" IS the stock recovery pre-screen. Just hold Power and THEN, immediately, press Volume Up.

My mistake: since a fully stock OTA update does not require special intervention from the user, I assumed the same would apply to a Flashfire-assisted OTA.
13th March 2016, 08:00 PM |#55  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedalatianz

Addendum: for some reason I cannot root :/
I'm using NRT 2.1.4, driver installation checks out fine, goes through two temporary runs of TWRP 3.0.0, says "rooting", phone finished booting and... running SuperSU bitches that rooting wasn't done properly.
I chose to keep the stock recovery because of the OTA, by the way.

Anyhow, I'm going off topic.
Thanks again for your help.
31st March 2016, 08:12 PM |#56  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag New York City

Donate to Me
More
Any users of my app want to test a new version I'm working on? I changed some the way it does things and now it should support even more devices. If you use my app and would like to test the new version please shoot me a PM
The Following User Says Thank You to graffixnyc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift graffixnyc Ad-Free
31st March 2016, 11:38 PM |#57  
Flag New York City

Donate to Me
More
5 promo codes for the donate version (linked in the OP) Valid starting tomorrow 4.1.2016
SSKFD2A9AMKRGQ077S00DS6
WTWWQJ8B4Y8ATEC0HZJ37LS
4GN5UTCXGWFPJEPJJSTJFBY
A72GEX59ZZ37KG6GWQRZ5A2
0GXSFPCHY5J784HC695LTGB
The Following User Says Thank You to graffixnyc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift graffixnyc Ad-Free
1st April 2016, 12:37 AM |#58  

More
thank you for this handy app!
13th April 2016, 04:44 PM |#59  
Flag New York City

Donate to Me
More
So I've been thinking. When I first developed this app you were able to take Ota's while being rooted.. Lollipop changed that and now any small change to the system partition will make an OTA fail. Now there is seamless root which works by modifying the boot image. You now can be rooted and take an OTA but you have to flash the stock boot image before hand or it will fail because it was modified by the rooting process. So I was thinking of adding one more option to the app to flash the stock boot image. What do you guys think?
I wouldn't give it an option where you can select any image like I do with recovery, I would simply add a Stock Boot image option to the one tap method.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
15th April 2016, 02:54 PM |#60  
Flag Brussels, BE
Thanks Meter: 68

More
@graffixnyc
Here's a post about a problem I discover when trying to update TWRP 3.0.0.0 to 3.0.2.0.
I'm on Moto G 4G (peregrine, xt1039) with stock 5.1 rooted and SRS 4.1.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2&postcount=81
Maybe it wouldn't occur with the new version you're working on.
If you want me to test it I'm ok.
I'll try to generate a logcat when flashing with SRS
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)