[APP][5.0+] Slimperience Browser 2.0 Beta (Coming soon...)

Search This thread

SaschaHa

Oct 3, 2008
Hey friends! :)

In the last few years Android apps have become more and more memory hungry. Especially the size of browsers and social networks have been increased with each update.
Now I'm proud to present you the solution:

Slimperience

With it's size of just 390 kB it might be the smallest and most efficient browser for Android!

Who thinks, with this small size there is a loss of functionality, will be absolutely wrong:
Slimperience brings tons of settings and personalization features and sets a new level with it's handling and design!

But no word can describe the functionality better than a screenshot, so have a look at these :)

Screenshot_20160515-213448.jpgScreenshot_20160515-213508.pngScreenshot_20160516-035032.jpgScreenshot_20160515-213721.pngScreenshot_20160515-213736.pngScreenshot_20160515-213750.pngScreenshot_20160515-213828.pngScreenshot_20160515-214229.pngScreenshot_20160515-214443.jpgScreenshot_20160515-214525.jpgScreenshot_20160515-213846.png

Main features:

Extremely lightweight: Just 390 kB apk size
AdBlocker, which makes it very fast
Fully customizable: It has tons of settings and customization features
Unique theming engine: You might never have seen an app with such advanced design options
Render modes: Normal, inverted, high contrast, greyscale, etc.
Icognito mode: For private browsing
Desktop mode: If you like to use the PC layout instead of mobile layouts

Get it on PlayStore

FAQ

Current Beta

Slimperience is still in development, so there might come a lot of new features in the next updates :) If you are missing some things or you found bugs, leave a comment and I will try to increase your browsing experience a little more :)

If you like my work and want to see more, please hit THANKS or buy the donation version (InApp).
This will motivate me to make updates and create more apps like this :)

Huge update coming soon...
The update is still work in progress. The current beta is a lot faster than the PlayStore version and has a lot of new and increased features. It's developed from scratch, so it's a completely new app :)
Until the final update is released, I will release a new beta (which can be installed as secondary app) all 1, 2 or 3 days. You can find it in the last few pages of this thread . The progress is now around 98%, so it can be released very soon :)

Attachments

• XDA-Banner.png
    XDA-Banner.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 10,481
Last edited:

kryshnakishore

Aug 19, 2015
Hyderabad, India
Late to the party, really loving it... Keep developing

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Is there a way to open default as bookmark page?

SaschaHa

Oct 3, 2008
Late to the party, really loving it... Keep developing

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Is there a way to open default as bookmark page?

I'm will try to add a gesture listener for the right border, to recognize, on which height the drawer get's opened. Than for example the top right border will open the bookmarks, the button one will open the tabs etc.

But until that's working, I could add a setting for the 3 dots menu :)

Currently I'm fixing some bugs, when it's finished I will upload an update. After that I will try to add the requested features ;)
Thanks for the idea :) I'm happy you like it!

SaschaHa

Oct 3, 2008
Now there is the first update with some bug fixes :)

Update 1.0.1 (2016-05-16)

+ 'Set as homepage' added to the Quick Panel
+ New setting to save the current desktop mode (state)
+ New setting to add a history tab to the right drawer
+ Added PlayStore and XDA links (rating will now work)
+ Fixed bug with 'Add to bookmarks'
+ Long clicks will now be handled with quick share

SaschaHa

Oct 3, 2008
Very nice - I can't get it to save bookmarks am I missing something

The issue should be fixed with the first update (1.0.1). I have just uploaded it to PlayStore, so it will be available in a few minutes :)
I've just noticed that the quick panel still get's not updated instantly, but the bookmark will be saved on v1.0.1. Tomorrow I will upload a new version, there the list should be fully updated and all the other issues should be fixed ;)

SaschaHa

Oct 3, 2008
Bookmarks working - thank you

The app is tiny and fast but the cache (data usage) keeps going up, is there a way to clear it (manually or on exit)?
Currently it's not possible, but I can add this feature with the next update :)
Edit: Done. This feature is now integrated (and activated by default) and will be released tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Humair Hashmani

Svp46

Sep 7, 2013
Antwerp
Just installed this app and tested it, i must say it works really smooth (especially for v1).
I really love the swipe between apps feature.

I only miss feature that for me is really important to use it daily and its something like de speeddail in Opera as a homepage, i dont think its really hard to implement and very usefull.

like this: www .opera. com/blogs/mobile/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/12/social-mini-android-13-speed-dial-english.jpg
(remove the spaces in the link because i cant post links below 10 posts (i have a new account))

Keep up the good work!:good:

SaschaHa

Oct 3, 2008
Just installed this app and tested it, i must say it works really smooth (especially for v1).
I really love the swipe between apps feature.

I only miss feature that for me is really important to use it daily and its something like de speeddail in Opera as a homepage, i dont think its really hard to implement and very usefull.

like this: www .opera. com/blogs/mobile/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2015/12/social-mini-android-13-speed-dial-english.jpg
(remove the spaces in the link because i cant post links below 10 posts (i have a new account))

Keep up the good work!:good:
Thanks for the suggestion :) I have seen the picture, it looks interesting. I will install Opera to test this feature, and I think I will add it to my to do list :fingers-crossed:

Svp46

Sep 7, 2013
Antwerp
Thanks for the suggestion :) I have seen the picture, it looks interesting. I will install Opera to test this feature, and I think I will add it to my to do list :fingers-crossed:
Okay, nice to hear!
I just found another thing that may be useful: a download tab. But I assume you're list is already long enough. [emoji2]

SaschaHa

Oct 3, 2008
Okay, nice to hear!
I just found another thing that may be useful: a download tab. But I assume you're list is already long enough. [emoji2]
Good idea, I could add this as a new tab to the right drawer menu :) As for now the app shares download links with other apps (because I prefer to use external download manager). But that feature needs to be increased because I found out that it is possible to set Slimperience itself as receiver and that will end in an activity loop :D

WOW,very fast and awesome looking browser with great features,till now i only miss a loading bar.great work,thanx. :good:
Thanks, I will add it :)

Reactions: -CALIBAN666-

kryshnakishore

Aug 19, 2015
Hyderabad, India

I'm will try to add a gesture listener for the right border, to recognize, on which height the drawer get's opened. Than for example the top right border will open the bookmarks, the button one will open the tabs etc.

But until that's working, I could add a setting for the 3 dots menu :)

Currently I'm fixing some bugs, when it's finished I will upload an update. After that I will try to add the requested features ;)
Thanks for the idea :) I'm happy you like it!
Really cool... Go on & beat chrome

Reactions: SaschaHa

SaschaHa

Oct 3, 2008
Now update 2 has been released with a lot of bug fixes and some new features :) Cheers :fingers-crossed:

Update 1.0.2 (2016-05-17)

+ added quick setting to disable the toolbar
+ added a progressbar below the toolbar
+ added setting for clearing cache automatically
+ fixed issues with history and bookmarks cursors
+ title of bookmarks will now getting updated
+ fixed issue with WebView data and settings
+ fixed an issue within the bookmarks manager when strings with apostroph are saved
+ increased floating action menu behavior

Reactions: Phrodini and adl

Cardim21

Jan 29, 2011
This is nice. Anyway u can add a setting to make the font smaller ? Not just settings & the search bar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey friends! :)

In the last few years Android apps have become more and more memory hungry. Especially the size of browsers and social networks have been increased with each update.
    Now I'm proud to present you the solution:

Slimperience

With it's size of just 390 kB it might be the smallest and most efficient browser for Android!

Who thinks, with this small size there is a loss of functionality, will be absolutely wrong:
    Slimperience brings tons of settings and personalization features and sets a new level with it's handling and design!

But no word can describe the functionality better than a screenshot, so have a look at these :)

Screenshot_20160515-213448.jpgScreenshot_20160515-213508.pngScreenshot_20160516-035032.jpgScreenshot_20160515-213721.pngScreenshot_20160515-213736.pngScreenshot_20160515-213750.pngScreenshot_20160515-213828.pngScreenshot_20160515-214229.pngScreenshot_20160515-214443.jpgScreenshot_20160515-214525.jpgScreenshot_20160515-213846.png

Main features:

Extremely lightweight: Just 390 kB apk size
    AdBlocker, which makes it very fast
    Fully customizable: It has tons of settings and customization features
    Unique theming engine: You might never have seen an app with such advanced design options
    Render modes: Normal, inverted, high contrast, greyscale, etc.
    Icognito mode: For private browsing
    Desktop mode: If you like to use the PC layout instead of mobile layouts

Get it on PlayStore

FAQ

Current Beta

Slimperience is still in development, so there might come a lot of new features in the next updates :) If you are missing some things or you found bugs, leave a comment and I will try to increase your browsing experience a little more :)

If you like my work and want to see more, please hit THANKS or buy the donation version (InApp).
    This will motivate me to make updates and create more apps like this :)

Huge update coming soon...
    The update is still work in progress. The current beta is a lot faster than the PlayStore version and has a lot of new and increased features. It's developed from scratch, so it's a completely new app :)
    Until the final update is released, I will release a new beta (which can be installed as secondary app) all 1, 2 or 3 days. You can find it in the last few pages of this thread . The progress is now around 98%, so it can be released very soon :)
    As promised here is a new beta, even with new features :)

Changes:
    1. added entire page screenshot feature. I've tested it with huge pages up to a vertical resolution of about 51.000 pixels now. It works good :)
    2. added new settings for screenshots: You can now choose the file format (png, jpg and webp) and the quality between 50 and 100
    3. Changed the heap size to large*
    4. added a first implementation / placeholder for a reader mode. I will work on it tommorow and increase it to a good one ;)

*Heap size
    This feature has a bad reputation because a lot of developers use it as workaround for worse optimizations in their code. But here this is not the case and it is only used, when it's needed. In other words:
    I've implemented it for point 1. (entire page screenshots). Such screenshots can have sizes of about 100 megapixels (my todays biggest one was around 70 or 80 megapixels). Each pixel has at least 36 bit (8 bit for each sub-pixel) of size, so a screenshot of such an huge size would need 300 MB when it's taken. To get rid of an "out of memory" issue, this flag needs to be set. There are no disadvantages in this case, because the heap size is handled by Android and will only be increased, if the app uses it. And in 99% of the time this will never happen :)
    The good side effect: A big heap size allows the user to have even more tabs opened. I tried it with 25 pages and it was no problem, I had not even a singlle redraw.

To do list now until the update is ready for release:
    1. adding a dialog for editing bookmarks
    2. adding an increased color picker as pro feature
    3. creating introductions and credits for the app
    4. adding localizations
    5. some minor things like finalizing the read mode and increasing some implementations

That's it :)
    Hi!
    Looks like Slimperience has been affected by this issue: googleblog.com/2016/08/modernizing-oauth-interactions-in-native-apps

Google seems to not identify Slimperience as a "real" browser, thus not allowing to authorize apps for Google Drive (for example) access via Slimperience.
    [...]
    It's sad that Google removed the support for their own creations (webview) :D

Now here is a new beta. This beta finaly replaces the old PlayStore version. So please make a backup (if possible). On my device the update worked without any issues and all the databases got updated, but as this is the first open beta with this package name, a backup is recommended (just for the case something goes wrong).
    You can use it as daily driver now :)
    The new dialogs and settings are almost finished. That means, that ~85% of the work is done. At the end of the week I can share a new alpha apk and next week hopefully a beta. Current size is around 164 kb.
    Hey there :) I hope you had a great christmas time!

As almost everything regarding the WebView is working now, I want to tell you some news about the current progress.

Performance
    The browsing smoothness seems to be much better than before and the starting lag is completely gone :)

How long clicks on hyperlinks and images get handled now
    For long clicks on links and / or pictures I've created a much better dialog. When an image with a hyperlink is clicked, not only the donwload button get's seperated, but the whole dialog does with a swipable ViewPager. So you have all entries for both urls (the hyperlink & the image url). Just swipe left or right to change the dialog page. Therefore I've changed the dialog title from a TextView to a TextSwitcher, so the title get's changed with animation, when the dialog page get's changed.
    In the attachment you see how it currently looks like.

How themes get handled now
    You can choose the default themes and colors in settings like before. Even like before the website can override the colors, if it has a custom theme color. But now not only the toolbar color get's changed, but also the drawer header color. Today I will increase and modify the array adapter for list items, so the dialogs will receive the website colors too.
    This is a little more complicated, because the app doens't only need to change the tint colors, but also to measure its brightness to set the optimal text color. For example, if the website's theme color is very bright, the colors of all items, which have this color as background, needs to bet set dark.

What else to do
    I will also try to finish almost all dialogs today, which are some for the settings, one for editing the homepage and one for editing bookmarks.
    Than I will port my download manager and link it with the new webpage. Should also be ready today.
    Finally I need to create new list items for the history, bookmarks, tabs and the drawer. For this I've created a much advanced "base" view, so if this view works as it should, that are only a few pages of code, which should be ready tommorow I think.
    Finally I need to create a new tabs manager. I've thinked a lot how to make a better one, but that's a little more complicated. On the one hand the ViewPager has the ability to change tabs by just swiping from one side to another. But in the most other aspects the ViewPager isn't a good choice for a browser. For example addings tabs to the ViewPager needs to get created again, which results in flickers, because the views (tabs) get's removed and added to the new created ViewPager again. The same for removing tabs. Moreover the advantage of swiping between tabs can destroy slide shows from websites, so it needs manually deactivated for those. And finally there is no way to show more than one tab at the same time, so I could not create previews of tabs without removing the tabs from the viewpager, which needs the ViewPager also to be recreated. In the whole there are more disadvantages than advantages, so I'm searching for something new. If anyone of you has good ideas or knows good libraries for cusomizable (list) views, let me know :)

App size
    Above there are numerated only a few aspects. The most of the work is not visible as it concerns the app engine. So even if the upper points looks like not much: In the last few weeks the app size has been increased from 178 to 225 kb by only adding hard code (no drawables or graphics). That's 47 kB of code, or in other words around 70 to 100 pages of new code. I think that is a good progress :p

Now I need to make breakfast. Have a nice day everyone :)