[APP][4.4+] Smitten SMS v2b6 | DEC 16 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
ieOGaMo.png

This is a SMS/MMS app based on AOSP 6 Messaging (source) with a sliding interface and custom features.

Please note: this app is only for Android 4.4+

Download Smitten2b6.apk

Join the discussion on Reddit

You must uninstall 1.x before installing 2+

Changelog
=== 2b6 DEC 16 ===
- Added new default UI Style, 'Standard'. Change UI Style in Settings.
- Updated icon
- Fixed primary color in recent apps view
- Bug fixes

=== 2b5 DEC 15 ===
- Fixed force close on 4.4
- Small bug fixes

=== 2b3 DEC 15 ===
- Added color customizations. Pick primary and accent colors in Settings.

=== 2b2 DEC 15 ===
- You must uninstall 2b1 before installing 2b2. This is a one-time requirement.
- Fixed conversation not loading when opening notification or from widget
- Fixed FC on create new conversation
- Other bug fixes

=== 2b1 DEC 14 ===
- New app based on AOSP 6 Messaging source. This is bare bones messaging with sliding UI.

Got input or feedback? Great, love to hear it. Found a bug? Please post a log if you can or detail the bug and state which device and which ROM you are using. Thanks.

Without logcat it's difficult for the dev to help you for fix your issue so please download Logcat Extreme > reproduce your FC > open app > go to Per-app logcat tab > select Smitten SMS > save log and send it on this thread. :highfive:

You can find the older version attached to this post or in the play store link below.
Download old version (1.6) from play store here.

Attachments

• Smitten_1.6.3.apk
    10.4 MB · Views: 2,005
  • Smitten_1.6.4.apk
    10.4 MB · Views: 1,431
  • Smitten_1.6.5.apk
    10.4 MB · Views: 16,349
  • Smitten2b1.apk
    8.3 MB · Views: 1,242
  • Smitten2b2.apk
    8.3 MB · Views: 814
  • Smitten2b3.apk
    8.4 MB · Views: 826
  • Smitten2b5.apk
    8.4 MB · Views: 1,161
  • Smitten2b6.apk
    8.5 MB · Views: 18,161
Last edited:

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
Just 2 requests for this awesome app pleaseee!!

1. Android Wear support.
2. Please add support for MMS over JUST WiFi (no data needed), Sprint and T-Mobile support this and the Dev of 8sms has it implemented perfectly!

I can test both for you also if you'd like :good:

Reactions: zgroten

AugustJuly

Aug 15, 2013
Just wanted to say, love the app. Finally a messaging app that is simple, clean and quick. I really prefer the default messenger but hated the contact pictures that Android forces. Glad to see them taken out.

Keep up the good work.

tlf55

Mar 21, 2011
Can you add the blue theme that was in the playstore app ? and the possibility to disable android stock green emoticone, they're so much anoying and i think that most of people prefer ascii smiley and emoji (that already included :) )

TokedUp

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 27, 2010
Hellz Kitchen, NYC
Great app! Looks and works excellent. If I may make 1 suggestion, can the action bar (create new message, settings) be moved to the bottom of the app screen? Its easier to reach with my thumb when I'm on the go. I've seen other MMS apps using it that way so I hope its possible. Thanks.

Jeanxito

Dec 26, 2007
Please include more options for MMS like auto save images and auto-enable data from mobile networks. I can't use this app since I can't automatically receive MMS. I think the only app that have such options is textra, and thats what I use.

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
Can you add the blue theme that was in the playstore app ? and the possibility to disable android stock green emoticone, they're so much anoying and i think that most of people prefer ascii smiley and emoji (that already included :) )

I will be adding several more themes. The green emoticons are already gone!

Please add an option to have NO SLIDING at all. And please add translucent statusbar color and round text bubbles?

Yes I'll be doing a lot of work on theming again soon. There were some other things I had to take care of and I figured the two themes provided would be enough for the time being. I will add a no sliding option as well, I've had numerous requests for it.

Please include more options for MMS like auto save images and auto-enable data from mobile networks. I can't use this app since I can't automatically receive MMS. I think the only app that have such options is textra, and thats what I use.

I'm not sure what you mean. I could save MMS to sdcard automatically. But the app already auto retrieves MMS.

Great app! Looks and works excellent. If I may make 1 suggestion, can the action bar (create new message, settings) be moved to the bottom of the app screen? Its easier to reach with my thumb when I'm on the go. I've seen other MMS apps using it that way so I hope its possible. Thanks.

We'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: tu3218 and TokedUp

Jeanxito

Dec 26, 2007
When someone send me a MMS I got to have my mobile data (3g/4g/LTE ) activated to receive immediately that MMS, or else, only when I enable mobile data I will receive it.

I have tested with a lot of SMS apps and textra was the only one that have that option for MMS: turn mobile data on ( for automatically turn it on, receive MMS, and turn it off).

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
When someone send me a MMS I got to have my mobile data (3g/4g/LTE ) activated to receive immediately that MMS, or else, only when I enable mobile data I will receive it.

I have tested with a lot of SMS apps and textra was the only one that have that option for MMS: turn mobile data on ( for automatically turn it on, receive MMS, and turn it off).

Ah gotcha. So you leave your mobile data off normally and would have the app turn it on just to download the MMS then back off again. That should be fairly easy to do.

Reactions: ElwOOd_CbGp

Jeanxito

Dec 26, 2007
Ah gotcha. So you leave your mobile data off normally and would have the app turn it on just to download the MMS then back off again. That should be fairly easy to do.

Yap, thats right!! Or else I do not receive any notification for the MMS or the MMS itself.

Enviado do meu GT-I9100 através de Tapatalk

Reactions: TokedUp

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
Yap, thats right!! Or else I do not receive any notification for the MMS or the MMS itself.

Enviado do meu GT-I9100 através de Tapatalk

I feel like it would be preferable to be notified of the mms and have the option to download it when you choose. But we'll see what I come up with.

Also, B12 is on the first post. Please read the changelog

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
Great app but often miss notifications. Both my gf and I are experiencing this issue. Running stock moto x on 4.4.2.

Oops sorry didn't realize this is different from the play store version. Will give this a go! Thanks

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
Can we install over existing or should we delete first?

You only need to uninstall if you have the play version installed.

Great app but often miss notifications. Both my gf and I are experiencing this issue. Running stock moto x on 4.4.2.

Oops sorry didn't realize this is different from the play store version. Will give this a go! Thanks

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Free mobile app

Yeah that's an issue with the play store version. Should definitely not be happening here.

Reactions: TokedUp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ieOGaMo.png

This is a SMS/MMS app based on AOSP 6 Messaging (source) with a sliding interface and custom features.

Please note: this app is only for Android 4.4+

Download Smitten2b6.apk

Join the discussion on Reddit

You must uninstall 1.x before installing 2+

Changelog
    === 2b6 DEC 16 ===
    - Added new default UI Style, 'Standard'. Change UI Style in Settings.
    - Updated icon
    - Fixed primary color in recent apps view
    - Bug fixes

=== 2b5 DEC 15 ===
    - Fixed force close on 4.4
    - Small bug fixes

=== 2b3 DEC 15 ===
    - Added color customizations. Pick primary and accent colors in Settings.

=== 2b2 DEC 15 ===
    - You must uninstall 2b1 before installing 2b2. This is a one-time requirement.
    - Fixed conversation not loading when opening notification or from widget
    - Fixed FC on create new conversation
    - Other bug fixes

=== 2b1 DEC 14 ===
    - New app based on AOSP 6 Messaging source. This is bare bones messaging with sliding UI.

Got input or feedback? Great, love to hear it. Found a bug? Please post a log if you can or detail the bug and state which device and which ROM you are using. Thanks.

Without logcat it's difficult for the dev to help you for fix your issue so please download Logcat Extreme > reproduce your FC > open app > go to Per-app logcat tab > select Smitten SMS > save log and send it on this thread. :highfive:

You can find the older version attached to this post or in the play store link below.
    Download old version (1.6) from play store here.
    Strictly bug fixes here.

Namely:
    - Contact avatar color picker
    - Fixed thread not updating when turning display off and back on with thread open
    - Fixed title color changing on orientation change
    - Other small fixes

Sorry guys been busy with projects and class :(

I have done more stuff but not everything works yet. I think I'll push an official update once I know all the current bugs have been resolved then the new stuff I'm working on will be ready to test soon.
    Love this app. Has anyone experienced somewhat ""high"" battery usage by Smitten sms ? It's like 15% of my battery usage here.

Seeing same thing on my Droid Maxx. Helps to have a 3,500 mAh battery ;)

Hmmm.. I've had random battery issues in the past where the app would be at like 60% battery usage. That seemed to abruptly disappear after updating the source to 4.4.4. I've personally not experienced any issues with it and it may actually just be because you are using the app a lot.

Definitely hoping for a font size selector.

Not sure why I haven't done this yet but I'll basically just be bringing my previous implementation over.

Got some free time tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to post something new. I really wish I had more time to work on this app because it's a very fun project and surprisingly a lot of people are buying it (thanks!!!!) but school is tough right now and I gotta keep my priorities straight. That said, I've been keeping at it and always trying to think of new ideas so I'll try and keep the updates coming steady. Once I get some things out of the way (like those darn slideshows) I can just have some fun with it and the sky's the limit.
    So Google has revamped the messaging app for Lollipop.

That means I'll be updating the source of the app to the Lollipop source. This will probably fix some issues and probably add some new ones. Needless to say I'm excited to see what they've done with it so when the source drops I'll get right on it!

With that said, I still need to publish the most recent update to the play store. I know people have been having some issues with it, as have I.

This thread is getting very overwhelming for me though as it's difficult to compile a list of every issue going through these pages. What would be the best way to compile a list so that more popular issues can get more attention? Google code? Google forms? Google+? A poll of sorts? If you guys have a preference/idea please share. I would like to prioritize bugs because the biggest issue I'm having right now is knowing what is broken for the most amount of people.

I know some people are reporting battery drain with the latest version and I am certain you can rule out the LED. The only time the app takes a wake lock is for downloading MMS. I had this problem with very early versions of the app but updating to KitKat source solved it for me and everyone else that I know of. I'm not really sure why it's popping up again but we'll see if I can get to the bottom of it.

Also, I know I'm the worst! it has been far too long since I've published an update. Thanks for keeping the feedback coming and keeping my interest. What I need to do next is get a nice list of bugs compiled so I can prioritize my work.
    Hey guys.

First of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone who used/bought/contributed to this app. Sorry to leave you all in the dark. I had to cease work on this app several months ago (for the second or third? time) due to school and work.

There is good news though; with Android M source came the source code of Google's new messaging app. The lack of updates to the older MMS app was part of the reason I was forced to abandon the project for so long, because trying to fix/add so many things became too much work for me. Now, AOSP has made it possible for me to continue development on Smitten SMS.

So, development has begun. It is going to be a long and painful process but I plan to incorporate most of the features of the old Smitten. This is a new code base that is completely different from the old MMS app so it will take some work to get all the features back. I'm hoping to get a new apk up with some of the basics within a week. Hopefully some of you have stuck around to help me test it out.

I'm looking forward to the future of this project and where the new code base might take it. I'll check in with progress and I'm here if anyone has questions.

Thanks,
    Matt