[APP][2.2+] Syncthing - Secure and Private File Synchronization

Search This thread

Nutomic

Sep 27, 2011
A wrapper of syncthing for Android.

Syncthing replaces Dropbox and BitTorrent Sync with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.
Using syncthing, that control is returned to you.

9QO9WFl.png
M2ZQwWk.png
0bfSY82.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 267841

Can't capable to add any folder

Last edited by a moderator:

JustusIV

Jan 11, 2008
How does this app handle thousands of files? Can you setup certain devices with read only? etc
I am a bitsync user, wondering if this can replace it.

BoneWithABeagle

Sep 28, 2013
Does it have local network syncing? (syncing over wifi)

Yes, Syncthing can also sync on the local network (local peer discovery) without needing the external announce server. Can't speak for the Android port though.

I Got error Notice when try to sync (the latest version in play store)
Syncthing always at 0%, it seems the app can write the data to my sdcard
can you read the logcat?

http://pastebin.com/qJscUv30

Since the developer didn't reply....

Code:
I/SyncthingNativeCode(21290): [HBRW6] 09:29:25 WARNING: puller: final: chmod /storage/sdcard1/sinting/.syncthing.bash_cheat_sheet.pdf: operation not permitted
Attempting a chmod on a FAT filesystem (the sync folder is on the SD card) is doomed to fail. I think the developer will have to do a lot more than just wrap a native Android UI around the "Linux/ARM" commandline binary to make it properly work on Android.

Apart from that, it seems that a lot of the other problems of the Android version relate to the SD card restrictions of KitKat (locked down SD card access for apps).

How does this app handle thousands of files? Can you setup certain devices with read only? etc

I'm syncing a "repo" (to stick to Syncthing's naming covention of "shared folders") with ~9K files between four systems (2 desktop computers, 2 ARM boards, one ODroid-XU and one Jetson TK1, running Linux). No problem there, though the initial indexing may take a while, depending on the speed of your CPU of course, if you have a lot of files in there or if you dump a lot of files into it. I didn't test yet to see if there's a file limit that makes Syncthing bomb out (BTSync will bomb with >100K files in a share), but feel free to try.

And yes, Syncthing also supports a "read only" type of share. You can define a "master repo" that will only sync down to the client peers but not sync any alterations back.

Maybe snoop around on the Syncthing Website, they have a excellent documentation and issue tracker up and running, and the community is outspoken helpful.

Also, Syncthing can replace BTSync. I switched away from BTSync quite some time ago (after I got fed up dealing with the BTSync 1.4 trainwrecks) and didn't regret it; though I have to say I really have no use for syncing with Android, if I need to transfer something over to Android then I either use Solid Explorer's built-in FTP server or SMB/SSH "share" from the PC.

About the questions of "how is this different from BTSync":
Well, first, and foremost, Syncthing is Open Source Software. You can audit the source code to look for potential security threads (i.e. hidden backdoors, weak crypto). You don't have to rely on promises but you can put it to the test (given you can code and you happen to understand crypto).

Secondly, and most importantly, you can jump into the fun and contribute improvements to the project (fork it, add to it, send a pull request). The biggest advantage of FOSS: You can contribute! If you're just a end-user, well, you can at least provide testing feedback.

Thirdly, Syncthing, in my oppinion, does a good job at maintaining a sane UI, much unlike the trainwreck that is the BTSync 1.4 Beta series.

Seeing how the release at least one new pre-built build a week also shows that they got the idea of "release early, release often" (see "The Bazaar and the Cathedral" to get the idea if you don't know what that means) to not only provide you with updates but also push something out so the masses can give it a shot to try and uncover bugs or test latest improvements.

Last edited:

sicut

Mar 17, 2011

Code:
I/SyncthingNativeCode(21290): [HBRW6] 09:29:25 WARNING: puller: final: chmod /storage/sdcard1/sinting/.syncthing.bash_cheat_sheet.pdf: operation not permitted
Attempting a chmod on a FAT filesystem (the sync folder is on the SD card) is doomed to fail. I think the developer will have to do a lot more than just wrap a native Android UI around the "Linux/ARM" commandline binary to make it properly work on Android.

Apart from that, it seems that a lot of the other problems of the Android version relate to the SD card restrictions of KitKat (locked down SD card access for apps).

Thanks for the explanation. I have the exact same issue but curiously even on my internal memory:
Code:
15:17:46: puller: final: chtimes /storage/emulated/0/Music/.syncthing.running.m3u: operation not permitted
15:17:46: Folder "Music_x230" isn't making progress - check logs for possible root cause. Pausing puller for 1m0s.

Btw, I just found the app and really love the idea. If I get it to successfully sync between my Synology NAS, Thinkpad, Mac and Note 2 it will replace all my other syncing tool. So please keep up the good work! :fingers-crossed:

JustusIV

Jan 11, 2008
I would love to see Tasker integration or a way to trigger a sync then exit... something so i could do a nightly backup or something but not have it run all the time....
Over the next few days i will try to get my syncing up and going and see what i can do with tasker.

mnsk

Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for the explanation. I have the exact same issue but curiously even on my internal memory:
Code:
15:17:46: puller: final: chtimes /storage/emulated/0/Music/.syncthing.running.m3u: operation not permitted
15:17:46: Folder "Music_x230" isn't making progress - check logs for possible root cause. Pausing puller for 1m0s.

Btw, I just found the app and really love the idea. If I get it to successfully sync between my Synology NAS, Thinkpad, Mac and Note 2 it will replace all my other syncing tool. So please keep up the good work! :fingers-crossed:

I am also getting the same errors when syncing between two android devices, phone and a tablet.
It works for the first time then shows these errors.
Plus there is no external sd card support.

JustusIV

Jan 11, 2008
getting
myself

Nutomic

Sep 27, 2011
Oh **** I thought I was gonna get email updates about this thread, looks like that failed.

Great job, It seems to be a very useful app !
Does it work like FolderSync ?

FolderSync seems to work with Dropbox etc, while syncthing has it's own desktop program, and this app only works with syncthing.

Yes, if two devices are on the same (wireless) LAN, data is only sent in the LAN (so that's pretty fast) :)

So I can't add a folder, any instructions?

That was broken in 0.5.1, but fixed in 0.5.2 (sorry).

can you read the logcat?

That's a bug that was also fixed in 0.5.2.

I sync my ~70 GB of music so that should be fine. Read only is supported (check "Folder Master"). More info is on the forum.

I would love to see Tasker integration or a way to trigger a sync then exit... something so i could do a nightly backup or something but not have it run all the time....
Over the next few days i will try to get my syncing up and going and see what i can do with tasker.

See issue #91. I don't have the time/interest to add this myself, but contributions are welcome, and you can also use the Rest API.

SYNC IS CURRENTLY BROKEN (issue link)

We'll have to wait for an upstream fix. Sorry for that :(

Last edited:
Reactions: CreepyE

sicut

Mar 17, 2011
After reading that thread I don't have high hopes for a quick fix :(

Seems unlikely, yeah...at least not how it works currently.
It seems to be the same problem like FolderSync has for example (FAQ entry) because of the file timestamp problem in Android (issue 15480 and 1699).
It's pretty annoying, that it pulls every synced file again after a factory reset and/or clean update due of the loss of the local DB with all the file entries.

[..]
FolderSync seems to work with Dropbox etc, while syncthing has it's own desktop program, and this app only works with syncthing.
[...]
Yeah, and it also works with SMB and ftp. But because of the single client sytem it is only able to pull on qequest (although it supports Tasker to ease that a little bit). So I like the syncthing approach much more :D

[..]

Fingers crossed, that I am wrong and it could be fixed/workaround more easily.
And thank you for all the effort!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A wrapper of syncthing for Android.

Syncthing replaces Dropbox and BitTorrent Sync with something open, trustworthy and decentralized. Your data is your data alone and you deserve to choose where it is stored, if it is shared with some third party and how it's transmitted over the Internet.
    Using syncthing, that control is returned to you.

9QO9WFl.png
    M2ZQwWk.png
    0bfSY82.png

Yes, Syncthing can also sync on the local network (local peer discovery) without needing the external announce server. Can't speak for the Android port though.

can you read the logcat?

Code:

I'm syncing a "repo" (to stick to Syncthing's naming covention of "shared folders") with ~9K files between four systems (2 desktop computers, 2 ARM boards, one ODroid-XU and one Jetson TK1, running Linux). No problem there, though the initial indexing may take a while, depending on the speed of your CPU of course, if you have a lot of files in there or if you dump a lot of files into it. I didn't test yet to see if there's a file limit that makes Syncthing bomb out (BTSync will bomb with >100K files in a share), but feel free to try.

And yes, Syncthing also supports a "read only" type of share. You can define a "master repo" that will only sync down to the client peers but not sync any alterations back.

Maybe snoop around on the Syncthing Website, they have a excellent documentation and issue tracker up and running, and the community is outspoken helpful.

Also, Syncthing can replace BTSync. I switched away from BTSync quite some time ago (after I got fed up dealing with the BTSync 1.4 trainwrecks) and didn't regret it; though I have to say I really have no use for syncing with Android, if I need to transfer something over to Android then I either use Solid Explorer's built-in FTP server or SMB/SSH "share" from the PC.

About the questions of "how is this different from BTSync":
    Well, first, and foremost, Syncthing is Open Source Software. You can audit the source code to look for potential security threads (i.e. hidden backdoors, weak crypto). You don't have to rely on promises but you can put it to the test (given you can code and you happen to understand crypto).

Secondly, and most importantly, you can jump into the fun and contribute improvements to the project (fork it, add to it, send a pull request). The biggest advantage of FOSS: You can contribute! If you're just a end-user, well, you can at least provide testing feedback.

Thirdly, Syncthing, in my oppinion, does a good job at maintaining a sane UI, much unlike the trainwreck that is the BTSync 1.4 Beta series.

Seeing how the release at least one new pre-built build a week also shows that they got the idea of "release early, release often" (see "The Bazaar and the Cathedral" to get the idea if you don't know what that means) to not only provide you with updates but also push something out so the masses can give it a shot to try and uncover bugs or test latest improvements.
    And sync is fixed :D

(it may take a few hours until the update is available)
    Greetings,

Reading the topic and syncting webpage doesn't give a lot of details on some points.
    "Private, no central server bla bla" > How my smartphone will find the computer behind a NATed dynamic IP if none of them talk to a common machine i don't own at some point ? Global discovery server is decentralized ? How ? What if I run the global discovery server myself and want to share a folder with a friend using your default settings while i'm behind a NAT and a dynamic IP ? What happens if i'm behind a CGN ?
    "Authenticated" > What prevents someone from stealing and use the cert from another machine that may have access to one folder shared to the target computer ? A malware running without administrative privileges could steal my own user cert as it's stored in %APPDATA% .

Will my files always be sent from my device to my device or will they pass by unknown computers ?
    If I generate the cert myself, am I forced to use specific settings or can i generate a crazy cert above value used by syncthing ? Will others be able to connect to my node ? If yes, what happens if someone generate a weak cert, will the client refuse the connection ?

Best regards.

The syncthing forums are probably a better place for these questions, but I'll try to answer them.

Yeah there's a global discovery server, and two devices with different discovery servers will only be able to connect directly by IP (you can set the device's IP in the device settings) or by local discovery (LAN multicast). Not sure how firewalls and the like are handled, but I think there's at least UPnP to open ports on a router.

On Android, only the app itself can access the keys. On Linux, you'd probably have to do some user/permission stuff so only syncthing can access the key. It's probably similar for windows.

Data is only sent between connected devices, nothing else. No idea about certs tbh.

Again, you'd probably be best of making a post at the syncthing forum so syncthing devs can answer (I only make the Android app).
    Oh **** I thought I was gonna get email updates about this thread, looks like that failed.

Great job, It seems to be a very useful app !
    Does it work like FolderSync ?

Yes, if two devices are on the same (wireless) LAN, data is only sent in the LAN (so that's pretty fast) :)

So I can't add a folder, any instructions?

That was broken in 0.5.1, but fixed in 0.5.2 (sorry).

can you read the logcat?

That's a bug that was also fixed in 0.5.2.

I sync my ~70 GB of music so that should be fine. Read only is supported (check "Folder Master"). More info is on the forum.

See issue #91. I don't have the time/interest to add this myself, but contributions are welcome, and you can also use the Rest API.