[APP][4.0+] Twik - Password generator and manager

OP gustavomondron

17th October 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #41  
Thanks Meter: 1

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavomondron

Actually, I could add a button for seeing the generated password, but I'm not sure that's the typical use case. Maybe it's worth adding it as an optional features.

I don't know why someone would not want to see a password, especially when one version of the app shows it and the other doesn't. Maybe I'm just a control freak.
17th October 2014, 04:48 PM   |  #42  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 32

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

See this post from the OP before. No, you would just change the tag.

I like the idea of this app, I've seen the idea before of taking "some string" (be it URL, a tag, whatever) + master password = password to use. But I also have general purpose passwords, like lock combinations and stuff like that. They don't really fit with this app. I suppose I could use my existing solution (Keepass) for certain types of "passwords" and this for website passwords. I might try it out and see how I like it. One thing I like about this is that there's NO syncing required, ie: with KeePass if I add/modify on my desktop I have to hope that Dropbox has synced the file up to Dropbox and my device has synced it Down, or from the device, etc etc... And yeah, I have to hope the file itself is secure since it's on Dropbox.

Thanks, nice idea, hope to see a Firefox extension soon

Firefox extension is currently under development, I hope it's available soon
The Following User Says Thank You to gustavomondron For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th October 2014, 04:53 PM   |  #43  
OP Junior Member

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcienniwa

I don't know why someone would not want to see a password, especially when one version of the app shows it and the other doesn't. Maybe I'm just a control freak.

Actually, I think that the point is that you don't need to know the password of any website (just your master key), so you don't even need to see it In the case of Android, it's more likely you need to see it because typically you're going to type it or paste it in other place (maybe in other device). In my personal use case, I've only needed to see that plain password for debugging purposes, but I know that it doesn't have to be right for every user, of course. It'll be added as an optional feature, don't worry
Last edited by gustavomondron; 17th October 2014 at 04:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gustavomondron For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th October 2014, 07:52 PM   |  #44  
Flag DE-TH
Thanks Meter: 5

16 posts
More
Info 2 Small fix for your code.
Have created a very small fix for the profile view. See pull request #4 at github.
Just writing it here, because it doesn't seems so that you get notifications via github.
Also thanks for integrating the german translation already.

OT: Funny that xda-dev switches to mobile-version of page because i have currently only 1024*768 at my desktop
Last edited by murderered; 17th October 2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: corrected typo.
18th October 2014, 01:08 PM   |  #45  
OP Junior Member

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderered

Have created a very small fix for the profile view. See pull request #4 at github.
Just writing it here, because it doesn't seems so that you get notifications via github.
Also thanks for integrating the german translation already.

OT: Funny that xda-dev switches to mobile-version of page because i have currently only 1024*768 at my desktop

Thank you for your help! I'm aware of it, it's just that I'm really busy these days, but we'll release a new version ASAP with more features that are currently under development.
18th October 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #46  

3 posts
Quote:

Actually, I think that the point is that you don't need to know the password of any website (just your master key), so you don't even need to see it In the case of Android, it's more likely you need to see it because typically you're going to type it or paste it in other place (maybe in other device). In my personal use case, I've only needed to see that plain password for debugging purposes, but I know that it doesn't have to be right for every user, of course. It'll be added as an optional feature, don't worry

I'd like to make another case for visibility of Twik passwords on the desktop. In two instances today, a window opened where I was asked to provide a password, but the Twik icon didn't appear. My phone is not with me, so I'm unable to log on to those two accounts. I simply don't know the password. If I could see my password from chrome, I could copy/paste or enter them manually. For now, I have to wait till I have my phone.

For the record, window 1 was the desktop sign-in for google photos sync and the other was a bank sign-in through Mint.
The Following User Says Thank You to pcienniwa For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th October 2014, 11:31 PM   |  #47  
OP Junior Member

27 posts
Yes, sometimes you need to generate a password for a desktop application, or for a terminal tool, and using your phone for those cases is, at least, not very comfortable
However, using the Chrome extension for this purpose isn't ideal too, it's more like a workaround. I'll try to provide Twik as a desktop application too, which I think would be very helpful. In the meantime, when I need to generate passwords for desktop applications, I use Twik for Python.

I'll be releasing a new version of Twik for Chrome very soon, I've just finished fixing some bugs and now I'm adding the option to see the generated password.

By the way, thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate it

Quote:

I'd like to make another case for visibility of Twik passwords on the desktop. In two instances today, a window opened where I was asked to provide a password, but the Twik icon didn't appear. My phone is not with me, so I'm unable to log on to those two accounts. I simply don't know the password. If I could see my password from chrome, I could copy/paste or enter them manually. For now, I have to wait till I have my phone.

For the record, window 1 was the desktop sign-in for google photos sync and the other was a bank sign-in through Mint.

Last edited by gustavomondron; 19th October 2014 at 11:34 PM.
20th October 2014, 03:54 PM   |  #48  
OP Junior Member

27 posts
I have just released Twik for Chrome 0.4.4. Now you can see the generated passwords by clicking on a button. This version also includes some UI improvements, bug fixes and now it's also available in Italian.

Quote:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gustavomondron For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st October 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #49  
Flag Amman
Thanks Meter: 3

54 posts
More
Quote:

Firefox extension is currently under development, I hope it's available soon

Eagerly waiting for Firefox extension Thank you.
Yesterday, 05:44 PM   |  #50  

1 posts
More
Firefox extension
Hi fellow Twik users!

I'm glad to see that you some of you are using firefox

As I said to Gustavomondron, I'm currently working on a firefox addon. I don't have as much spare time as I would want, that's why it's going slowly.
So far it's able to generate password compatible with twik using firefox's internal HMAC_SHA1 algorithm. It still need some work on the interface to be fully usable.

I'll keep you updated but I hope to be able to release something next week.

The Following User Says Thank You to greizgh For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread