[Q] barcode scanner like in a shop?

4th September 2014, 09:06 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
there is an app that allow smartphone to work like a real barcode scanner used in a shop? it may be not very comfortable,but i d like avoid spend my money to buy some real barcode scanner.
it d be useful to some 'occasional cashier'.
4th September 2014, 01:24 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 55

124 posts
More
Exclamation
Have you tried searching in the Playstore ?
There are a lot of apps that can scan barcodes in the PlayStore, just follow the link : Barcode Scanner @ PlayStore
4th September 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 447

890 posts
More
You don't want to spend money on buying a scanner, OK. How do you intend to interface the phone to the computer/register to pass the barcode scanned to the application on the PC or register?
4th September 2014, 11:38 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Q] barcode scanner like in a shop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph37rd

You don't want to spend money on buying a scanner, OK. How do you intend to interface the phone to the computer/register to pass the barcode scanned to the application on the PC or register?

i wont use computer/register.
i put a items'price database on the phone.the app use camera to get barcodes,search price in database,and calcolate amount.that s all.
well,it d be the best if the app records all the transactions in a sale database.And also do autodecrement in items price database so that i would know which item go sold out.

@verszipo,i ve tried many app in playstore,the most of them are for storekeepers and consumers
5th September 2014, 08:50 AM   |  #5  
Flag Durban
Thanks Meter: 577

1,283 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph37rd

This can actually be done using Bluetooth. There are a lot of POS systems for Android and even iOS that interface with PC counterparts.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTWEBAR

i wont use computer/register.
i put a items'price database on the phone.the app use camera to get barcodes,search price in database,and calcolate amount.that s all.
well,it d be the best if the app records all the transactions in a sale database.And also do autodecrement in items price database so that i would know which item go sold out.

@verszipo,i ve tried many app in playstore,the most of them are for storekeepers and consumers

What you are describing is exactly what you are saying you tried already. You basically want an Android based POS system, this is kinda silly, unless you are using it as an outdoor vendor or to take orders at a table in a restaurant. Keeping track of your sales and your stock is possible, but you really do not want to do this on a phone. Using a large screen tablet, you might achieve what you intend to do.

I develop POS for a living, we have reseached the validity of building a device based POS and I can tell you that the use of Android/iOS devices in a POS environtment is only as a value added addon. Using it to take orders, collecting sales information from your staff who work outside of the store (ie: stand at events) and collecting data at the back door (stock transactions) is where this idea is best implemented. Only if you have a small store, with maximum 2 cashiers can you achieve this, and only if you use a Tablet where there is enough space on the screen to read your transaction easily.
5th September 2014, 10:34 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelha

This can actually be done using Bluetooth. There are a lot of POS systems for Android and even iOS that interface with PC counterparts.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

What you are describing is exactly what you are saying you tried already. You basically want an Android based POS system, this is kinda silly, unless you are using it as an outdoor vendor or to take orders at a table in a restaurant. Keeping track of your sales and your stock is possible, but you really do not want to do this on a phone. Using a large screen tablet, you might achieve what you intend to do.

I develop POS for a living, we have reseached the validity of building a device based POS and I can tell you that the use of Android/iOS devices in a POS environtment is only as a value added addon. Using it to take orders, collecting sales information from your staff who work outside of the store (ie: stand at events) and collecting data at the back door (stock transactions) is where this idea is best implemented. Only if you have a small store, with maximum 2 cashiers can you achieve this, and only if you use a Tablet where there is enough space on the screen to read your transaction easily.

yeah,it s just like say
6th September 2014, 09:13 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
there are not any app that do those kind of stuff?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread