Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,702 Members 45,714 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
Announcement from CdRsKuLL: Brand new Android car front end for tablet

Digital Car - Front end for Android tablet

Tip us?

CdRsKuLL
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Wow.. that's what I call a reply Really glad you like it so far and you have some really good suggestions I'll look into adding. I've been busy coding and the next release is only a day or so away now. The main additions are the ability to change the text at the top as well as the buttons at the bottom colours. This is both for the day / night settings so you should be able to give them a nice colour for night driving with a dark background but then for day you can go white with a nice bright background. I'm also halfway through adding a graphic equalizer, got the code done, just need to sort out the graphics.

I think I'm going to feature freeze it and go bug hunting before releasing it fully on the play store. Once it's released I will be then adding more stuff but I just want to get it out properly first.

I've tried to find the DC blob disappearing bug but can't duplicate this at all. I can open a few different apps and the DC blob just stays on top all the time. Are you running a task manager maybe that's clearing apps no longer in focus maybe?

Thanks,

Steve

CdRsKuLL
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
p.s I've now changed the mic code so it goes to google voice :as you suggested Now I can just say, 'take me home' and it does.

thanks,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CdRsKuLL For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Prakhyath
Old
Thanks Meter 89
Hey @CdRsKuLL you have a PM. Please check.

hawkm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default First looks

Hey there! I saw this app and decided to see how it would work in car before buying a tablet car mount.
For reference, I'm using a Nexus 7 1st Generation, and hopefully will be using a dash mount with a OTG cable for charging and adding a USB stick for music. For testing, I held it up to where it was to see the seating on the dash, as well as using an OTG cable without the charging feature.

When I first opened the app, I thought it was extremely nice. Simple, to the point, not that hard to comprehend what each button does. I liked that it also had a speedometer built in, but the compass kinda threw me off at my first glance. I also thought it would be a good place to have the time if the driver chose so. (In my car, I have a small analog clock, but the light is burnt out anyway, so I never see the time.)

So far the customization features are nice, and I did see your post about adding more options as updates come out, which I believe is probably the best way to go.

I also liked when switching in and out of apps, there was a chat head to get back into the app.

The only thing that really confused me at first was the swiping for the wallpapers and logos. Unfortunately, my car logo wasn't there (Infiniti) but I created one for it, so I'll link it onto the post in case anyone else is wanting it or if you'd like to add it into the app. I also did the newest KIA logo as well. (The KIA one is a little ****ty because there is no digital copy that I found, but I did find a high quality photo.

My main request would probably be to be able to change the speedometer to get rid of the directional compass, and to toggle a clock in there as well. Otherwise, I think you have a great app here, and I can't wait to see what other features will be implemented into it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	infiniti.png
Views:	24
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2944751   Click image for larger version

Name:	infinitiname.png
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	2944752   Click image for larger version

Name:	kiasport.png
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2944753  
Device: Verizon Galaxy S5
Android Version: Stock 4.4.2
--------------------------------------------------------------
Device: Nexus 7 Wifi (16GB)(2012)
Android Version: Dirty Unicorn 4.4.4

*Looking on how to develop for Android*
Photographer - Graphics Designer - College Freshman

hollywoodfrodo
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL View Post
Wow.. that's what I call a reply I've tried to find the DC blob disappearing bug but can't duplicate this at all. I can open a few different apps and the DC blob just stays on top all the time. Are you running a task manager maybe that's clearing apps no longer in focus maybe?
LOL - Yeah, I can be a devs best friend or worst nightmare, depending on the perspective - but it's one of the things I do well - look at something as it is and come up with a dozen ways to make it better.

As for the disappearing floating DC icon to get back to it, still happens. The app is still active. If I back out of the opened app (just tried it using the AAA app) using the back button once I exit the app, it exits back to DC. As I mentioned it's a new tablet I bought specifically to set up for in car use so I don't have a ton of experience with it - could be a bug with this specific tablet. (The new Asus 7" Tablet with Intel processor.) Again, it doesn't happen when I open an app or even multiple apps - it only happens when I am in an app and go to a new screen within that app.

Makes sense to debug and get on the play store then work on additional features. Are you gonna put it up for free or charge or have a free app with ads and in-app purchase to get rid of ads? Hopefully you can get a return on the time and energy you've invested!

One other thing I forgot to mention before - I'd love to see DC set up as a Home Launcher. For those like me who are using it on a tablet that will be a full time car tablet, it makes sense to have it as the home launcher which would also open up more possibilities (like pressing home key from any app returns to DC). Might eventually thing of having both apps separately on play store - one as just an app and one as home launcher.

Really looking forward to all the great things to come!

Eric
Watch my Android App Reviews, Tasker 101 Tutorials, & Product Reviews on my YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/hollywoodfrodo

Check out my Android Themed NFC Sticker & Tag Store AndyTags here: http://www.andytags.com

CdRsKuLL
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodfrodo View Post
LOL - Yeah, I can be a devs best friend or worst nightmare, depending on the perspective - but it's one of the things I do well - look at something as it is and come up with a dozen ways to make it better.

As for the disappearing floating DC icon to get back to it, still happens. The app is still active. If I back out of the opened app (just tried it using the AAA app) using the back button once I exit the app, it exits back to DC. As I mentioned it's a new tablet I bought specifically to set up for in car use so I don't have a ton of experience with it - could be a bug with this specific tablet. (The new Asus 7" Tablet with Intel processor.) Again, it doesn't happen when I open an app or even multiple apps - it only happens when I am in an app and go to a new screen within that app.

Makes sense to debug and get on the play store then work on additional features. Are you gonna put it up for free or charge or have a free app with ads and in-app purchase to get rid of ads? Hopefully you can get a return on the time and energy you've invested!

One other thing I forgot to mention before - I'd love to see DC set up as a Home Launcher. For those like me who are using it on a tablet that will be a full time car tablet, it makes sense to have it as the home launcher which would also open up more possibilities (like pressing home key from any app returns to DC). Might eventually thing of having both apps separately on play store - one as just an app and one as home launcher.

Really looking forward to all the great things to come!

Eric
Hi Eric, I'll have another play with the DC blob to see if I can get the same here, just my tablet is in the car right now and it's nearly my b/time. I do intend to put an in-app purchase on it but not sure the best way if I'm honest. I can either disable bits from the start or I was thinking of a trial period then maybe disable bits.. not made my mind up as yet. I have had it running as a launcher as it's only a couple of lines of code and it seems to work well, so this will defo be an option like you say either a separate app or if it's possible a setting. I did hope to get another release out this weekend but it's just not worked out as I've come across a few problems with the equalizer addition which I need to work out first. The main equalizer is working, but the default presets held when loaded only appear right at the bottom of my sliders so I'm going to code my own presets in + a few user ones whilst I'm at it.

Again, thanks for the feedback and ideas, it helps lots.

Steve

hawkm
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL View Post
Hi Eric, I'll have another play with the DC blob to see if I can get the same here, just my tablet is in the car right now and it's nearly my b/time. I do intend to put an in-app purchase on it but not sure the best way if I'm honest. I can either disable bits from the start or I was thinking of a trial period then maybe disable bits.. not made my mind up as yet. I have had it running as a launcher as it's only a couple of lines of code and it seems to work well, so this will defo be an option like you say either a separate app or if it's possible a setting. I did hope to get another release out this weekend but it's just not worked out as I've come across a few problems with the equalizer addition which I need to work out first. The main equalizer is working, but the default presets held when loaded only appear right at the bottom of my sliders so I'm going to code my own presets in + a few user ones whilst I'm at it.

Again, thanks for the feedback and ideas, it helps lots.

Steve

You probably don't need to put it as an option, but rather have it pretend like its a launcher. After the first initial start up, it will ask to set your default to whichever you choose. People who want a standalone app can choose their current launcher, while others who want it astheir main launcher can select that! I'm just throwing out a suggestion in case its easier to code.

Also for the payment, I'd suggest a specific day amount (5 to 7 days) demo and then add limitations like changing around the preferences or the app closing every 15 to 30 minutes. This gives consumers time to test and see if this app is right for them. An app like this should be paid for.
Device: Verizon Galaxy S5
Android Version: Stock 4.4.2
--------------------------------------------------------------
Device: Nexus 7 Wifi (16GB)(2012)
Android Version: Dirty Unicorn 4.4.4

*Looking on how to develop for Android*
Photographer - Graphics Designer - College Freshman