Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,727 Members 52,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Alcatel One Touch Idol 2 S (OT-6050Y) Owners

Tip us?

pckoloji
Old
(Last edited by pckoloji; Yesterday at 07:20 AM.) Reason: added GPU
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Alcatel One Touch Idol 2 S (OT-6050Y) Owners

This is a nice mid-range phone and I got from Orange Poland with agreement. All works fine and fluid. Even during benchmarks it is barely warm. 7.5 mm thickness (Galaxy S4 dimensions) and very slim LCD bezel. Double click screen to wake device. White status LED etc.

idol 2 s

Detailed specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_2_s-6134.php

In short:
  • 5 inÁ 720p IPS screen
  • Snapdragon 400 4 x 1.2 GHz / Adreno 305 GPU
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 8 GB Internal (5.5 GB available) + microSD (64 GB Lexar 600x UHS-1 microSD tested, working after FAT format by 6050Y)
  • LTE 150 Mbps, 802.11n Wi-Fi Dual, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, A-GPS/GLONASS
  • 8 MP Camera with Flash and Full HD Video
  • Android 4.3 Installed (4.4 Update Possible)
  • 2150 mAh non-removable battery

Official support website http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/globa.../idol_2_s.html where you can download manual, quick user guide and two important apps.

Smart Suite for managing your mobile. (microUSB connection or Wi-Fi)

Smart Suite

Mobile Upgrade Q for checking offical upgrades.

Mobile Upgrade Q

Some downsides:
  • MHL not supported, only Miracast
  • OTG not supported
  • FM Radio works only mono
  • Non removable cover

SIM Unlock

Mine came SIM locked. So I searched some and found a YouTube video that unlock is easy with FuriousGold device. Same person has an online code generator. I have no connection to them but I tested and it worked. Also really cheap only $4.9

http://www.oneunlock.com/en/tools/so...a-unlock-codes

It all finished within seconds. I filled form. Operator code is written on product box, on top of IMEI code. After getting email I saw 4 codes and entering only first one was enough.

If you don't have a problem with SIM lock you don't need to do it naturally. But I detected it whenever installed a different operator's SIM card. There are only 5 trials and use them wisely.

Also if you want to play by the book, Orange Poland website asks you to go their office or call helpline for unlock and payment will be 77 PLN which makes nearly $25.

WARNING: When you unlock your device they have a right to say product warrany is invalid.

ROOTING

Again you don't need to root but I used to have programs like Titanium Backup, Xposed Framework, Viper4Android etc so I wanted to find a solution.

ATM the only method I know that works is Towel Root Only install it and click button. Matter of second and done. After that you might want to install SuperSU or Superuser app.

After rooting, there is a possibility that Alcatel official device updates won't be compatible. In that case unroot might be necessary. I haven't tried but SuperSU app has an Full Unroot option. Please let us know if you tried.

CUSTOM RECOVERY

ATM I could not find CWM or TWRP suitable for this device. Perhaps it is not necessary since there is no custom ROM / CM package. But I am sure custom recovery can be compiled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.1410026888.png
Views:	199
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2927109   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.1410026969.png
Views:	203
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2927110  
The Following User Says Thank You to pckoloji For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ouigo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckoloji View Post
This is a nice mid-range phone and I got from Orange Poland with agreement. All works fine and fluid. Even during benchmarks it is barely warm. 7.5 mm thickness (Galaxy S4 dimensions) and very slim LCD bezel. Double click screen to wake device. White status LED etc.

idol 2 s

Detailed specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_2_s-6134.php

In short:
  • 5 inÁ 720p IPS screen
  • Snapdragon 400 4 x 1.2 GHz / Adreno 305 GPU
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 8 GB Internal (5.5 GB available) + microSD
  • LTE 150 Mbps, 802.11n Wi-Fi Dual, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC, A-GPS/GLONASS
  • 8 MP Camera with Flash and Full HD Video
  • Android 4.3 Installed (4.4 Update Possible)
  • 2150 mAh non-removable battery

Some downsides:
  • MHL not supported, only Miracast
  • OTG not supported
  • FM Radio works only mono
  • Non removable cover

SIM Unlock

Mine came SIM locked. So I searched some and found a YouTube video that unlock is easy with FuriousGold device. Same person has an online code generator. I have no connection to them but I tested and it worked. Also really cheap only $4.9

http://www.oneunlock.com/en/tools/so...a-unlock-codes

It all finished within seconds. I filled form. Operator code is written on product box, on top of IMEI code. After getting email I saw 4 codes and entering only first one was enough.

If you don't have a problem with SIM lock you don't need to do it naturally. But I detected it whenever installed a different operator's SIM card. There are only 5 trials and use them wisely.

Also if you want to play by the book, Orange Poland website asks you to go their office or call helpline for unlock and payment will be 77 PLN which makes nearly $25.

WARNING: When you unlock your device they have a right to say product warrany is invalid.

ROOTING

Again you don't need to root but I used to have programs like Titanium Backup, Xposed Framework, Viper4Android etc so I wanted to find a solution.

ATM the only method I know that works is Towel Root Only install it and click button. Matter of second and done. After that you might want to install SuperSU or Superuser app.

After rooting, there is a possibility that Alcatel official device updates won't be compatible. In that case unroot might be necessary. I haven't tried but SuperSU app has an Full Unroot option. Please let us know if you tried.

CUSTOM RECOVERY

ATM I could not find CWM or TWRP suitable for this device. Perhaps it is not necessary since there is no custom ROM / CM package. But I am sure custom recovery can be compiled.
Hi,
Very good summary! I have this phone for a few days and I have cited the same defects. As against the 4.4 update is already available? Or is it a prediction?

pckoloji
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
No there is no update at this moment. Mine shows Android 4.3 JLS36C. GSMArena shows upgradable to v4.4 (KitKat) but nothing yet.

I updated OP. Please download and check with Mobile Upgrade Q time to time. Different regions might get earlier.

ouigo
Old
(Last edited by ouigo; 6th September 2014 at 07:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I have same version of android

I noticed a mismanagement of the cpu frequency, making the battery down quickly. The phone rarely drops to 300mhz / 600 mhz. Even if I use an app like "No-frills cpu control" the cpu performs well then I locked state / unlocks and the cpu gets his bad behavior. (I use CPU spy to see an average of frequencies used)
I may be attempting a restore to see if it is not the root that caused the problem.

I am trying to download an "update" via mobile upgrade Q. I do not know if this is really an update or if he downloads the same version. In any case it is very very slow.

pckoloji
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
I just plugged.

"There is no greater software version available."

pckoloji
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouigo View Post
I have same version of android

I noticed a mismanagement of the cpu frequency, making the battery down quickly. The phone rarely drops to 300mhz / 600 mhz. Even if I use an app like "No-frills cpu control" the cpu performs well then I locked state / unlocks and the cpu gets his bad behavior. (I use CPU spy to see an average of frequencies used)
I may be attempting a restore to see if it is not the root that caused the problem.

I am trying to download an "update" via mobile upgrade Q. I do not know if this is really an update or if he downloads the same version. In any case it is very very slow.
CPU Spy giving me a similar report. CPU works full time or sleeps, not visiting other states. I will install Frills and check if anytihng changes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-17-08-07-24.png
Views:	22
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	2940177  
Tags
alcatel, idol 2 s, one touch, root, simlock