Nabi 2 Teardown

OP byohaserd

1st December 2012, 06:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 29

81 posts
More
So I have been watching some videos today and I have a tab I am willing to sacrifice to the cause...I am trying to add gps and wireless charge...Maybe try and switch the charger port for a micro usb but I will see when I get there. I have been watching videos on doing both mods with iphone 4s today and that stupid kinabis area would be great to hide some boards. Only problem is I got all the screws out and the corners pop loose but the centers stay attached...Has anyone seen this before on a differnt tab? Is it glue/tape or clips? Any ideas?
1st December 2012, 07:08 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 92

283 posts
were you able to Record a you tubevideo on how far you got ?
i havent been inside of mine yet.
i would be interest if i could get a bigger sd card in it
Last edited by Eric Karz; 1st December 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: add one more thing
2nd December 2012, 07:56 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Austin, TX

81 posts
More
Gonna try to get it with a blow dryer tomorrow and see where that leads. Ill record it all incase it works.

Sent from my NABI2-NV7A using xda app-developers app
6th December 2012, 07:49 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Austin, TX

81 posts
More
Ok...So here we go...Got it fully apart..Took some pics. Maybe you guys can see something else that I didn't but it looks as if adding in wireless charging would be rather simple...Other than that I didn't really see anything of interest...what are your thoughts?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to byohaserd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2012, 09:49 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 631

3,558 posts
My thoughts: Man, there is a lot of wasted space in there. They could've made the bezel 1/4 the size and had a much, MUCH more portable tablet.

Shows they were designing for kids 100%, with no real interest in adult use. (Well, that was already obvious from the awful grid on the back panel and the lip around it even if you remove the grid and home-build a flat back panel; I am 100% certain that contrived Nabi blocks aside, the real reason they made the back like that is to stop adults buying the tablet and not giving it to a kid.)
The Following User Says Thank You to knoxploration For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2012, 12:58 PM   |  #6  
Flag S.E. MI
Thanks Meter: 135

447 posts
More
Right on! So any thought of rear facing camera, flash, NFC, ambient light sensor? Different case entirely?

Wireless charging sounds cool, so does GPS.

Edit: btw what wireless charging system are you planning to implement? Powermat, touchstone?

Struck by my Anthrax Infected Viper4G Ev_O_nE using Forum Runner
Last edited by DZLRULZ; 6th December 2012 at 01:01 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DZLRULZ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2012, 03:05 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Austin, TX

81 posts
More
The camera and flash sound awesome but its very doubtful we will ever see a source for the nabi so installing rear would mean having to remove the front(I think) and to be honest I use my tab for skype more than photography. I've had NFC on my phone for quite a while and ive never used it, im not even sure of a useful application for it. The idea of a different case is awesome but im thinking more to just redesign a back plate to get rid of the lip from that kinabi plate crap (I kinda like the curvy kids feel to it.)

I will more than likely go with the touchstone just cause of the price point but I'm looking at the power mat cause I'd like to be able to drop my One X on charge all night too.

Do you think it's possible to solder 2 wires from the micro usb to the charging port and that would activate usb charge?

The Following User Says Thank You to byohaserd For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2012, 05:54 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 92

283 posts
congrats on getting it apart .
was that the internal sd card in pic 7 ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Karz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2012, 05:58 PM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag Austin, TX

81 posts
More
The one on the counter was mine, I had to pop it out to remove the board

21st January 2013, 04:50 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 3

23 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by byohaserd

The one on the counter was mine, I had to pop it out to remove the board

Do we know what kind of screen is use in this application ? Also dose anyone knows what are the rest of the wires coming off the battery are for?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread