ZenPad S Root achieved

Search This thread

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
all credit to social-media-concepts and vampirefo who developed the root:

this has only been tested on the Z580C model and ONLY FOR LOLLIPOP.

finally got root on my zenpad s 8. i can't say how this'll affect updates in the future, but this is done after taking the first update out of the box as of 7-19-15.

pretty much all you do is follow the info here: http://xdaforums.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096

grab the file here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60770086&postcount=352

download intel usb drivers here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/intel-usb-driver-for-android-devices

download the latest chainfire su: https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and copy to your device or sd card

make sure your android sdk is up-to-date.

if you happened to already install the device and the usb adb device has the yellow warning on it, just updated the device driver after installing the intel drivers. select brows my computer... let me pick... scroll down to intel and select adb device.

next verify that adb recognizes your device -> adb devices

unzip IntelAndroid-FBRL-05-16-2015-PTR and run launcher.bat
if your device is detected select T2 and press enter.

wait a good while as it reboots into recovery. you'll see an error on the launcher bat about failing b/c of too many links or something, just ignore. you device will restart and have a buncha lines of text. after about 3-5min it'll boot into CWM. install su zip and reboot (didn't need to fix su at the propt).

you may want to do a nandroid before flashing SU. i skipped it so i can't say whether it'll be successful or not, but it's better to be i case something goes wrong. i'm still w/in my return period :p
there you go. enjoy an adfree device or what ever you want to do with your rooted tablet!

stock image available here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/Zenpad/Z580C/UL-P01M-WW-3.3.8.0-user.zip

Last edited:

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
try booting back into recovery and running the script again - the launcher.bat . did you follow the instructions exactly? you should have booted to a tethered cwm where you flash root from. if you boot back into cwm reflash root. I'm assuming you allowed cwm to fix root. I skipped that step.

I believe you can get into recovery by holding vol down while booting up.

Last edited:

retrospooty

Sep 16, 2013
It worked for me. Thanks alot! Definitely skipped the "allowed cwm to fix root" at the end.

- Sweet relief. Now to debloat the hell out of this puppy!

Update - After root and debloat this thing runs like butter. I cant believe how good this is for $199. I was a bit worried about the Intel chip, but it actually runs cooler than any Snapdragon 600 or 800 I have ever used. Even when streaming video for hours.

Last edited:

bsutton

Jan 8, 2010
Cincy
It worked for me. Thanks alot! Definitely skipped the "allowed cwm to fix root" at the end.

- Sweet relief. Now to debloat the hell out of this puppy!

Update - After root and debloat this thing runs like butter. I cant believe how good this is for $199. I was a bit worried about the Intel chip, but it actually runs cooler than any Snapdragon 600 or 800 I have ever used. Even when streaming video for hours.

Can I get a de-bloat list? I removed quite a bit but not sure what all is safe to remove. Its running great now, but i would love to get as much of that junk off as possible.

retrospooty

Sep 16, 2013
Can I get a de-bloat list? I removed quite a bit but not sure what all is safe to remove. Its running great now, but i would love to get as much of that junk off as possible.

I haven't really gone through and tested everything to make sure its all 100% for sure good. A few hours of use with no issues at all. I just use Titanium backup and then go as follows. Freeze/Disable anything that starts with the word ASUS that you dont use. Even the Asus services (not keyboard and obvious stuff). I kept the Asus launcher though even though I use Nova because it caused issues with wallpapers when I disabled it.

then go through the list of apps and Freeze ones you dont use. A good way is to get the app "Advanced task killer free" . See what apps are running in your background. If its running and you dont use it freeze it. That should get you most of the way there. If you arent sure, just do a few at a time and see how it runs. If you broke something, unfreeze it. No harm done. I am not really done either... It's a process.

Last edited:
Reactions: kathig

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
yep this thing is a steal at $200 and root makes it even better. wonder why there's so few reviews on best buy. it's been out for 3 weeks or so. I was #2 review.

4:3 is growing on me. I started digging it with my nexus 9. I doubt I'd get 4:3 for anything bigger than 9 in though.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009

make sure you freeze and don't uninstall since we don't have a way of getting back to stock... or am I wrong on that?

has any tried a nandroid yet?

Takinato

Jul 8, 2012
Ugh I'm stuck between buying the 199 model or waiting for the 299 model, I mean I don't honestly need 4gb of ram nor 64gb of storage. I just want them Haha, I'd use it mostly for reading and movies really.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
Ugh I'm stuck between buying the 199 model or waiting for the 299 model, I mean I don't honestly need 4gb of ram nor 64gb of storage. I just want them Haha, I'd use it mostly for reading and movies really.

i'm using mine the same way so i decided to not spend another $100 for the CA version. though for taking notes and stuff should be nice on this thing. it is freaking light! those who have weaker arm strength or have to hold a tablet for extended periods may like it better than a galaxy note 8 (only slightly lighter) or 10.1. it's waaaay lighter than a surface.

i can notice when a tablet i heavier than another one, but i don't complain like so many people seem to over a few ounces since the weight differences are sometimes just the weight of pencil or burger... i've never struggled holding a friggin pencil! but this thing is like holding nothing. it's amazing how much battery life and performance you can get in it.

Takinato

Jul 8, 2012
i'm using mine the same way so i decided to not spend another $100 for the CA version. though for taking notes and stuff should be nice on this thing. it is freaking light! those who have weaker arm strength or have to hold a tablet for extended periods may like it better than a galaxy note 8 (only slightly lighter) or 10.1. it's waaaay lighter than a surface.

i can notice when a tablet i heavier than another one, but i don't complain like so many people seem to over a few ounces since the weight differences are sometimes just the weight of pencil or burger... i've never struggled holding a friggin pencil! but this thing is like holding nothing. it's amazing how much battery life and performance you can get in it.
Haha you aren't making my life any easier good sir! Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

retrospooty

Sep 16, 2013

Haha you aren't making my life any easier good sir! Thanks for the advice!

Buy the Cheaper one now and if you need more, but the other one later. ;)

I am with madsquabbles on this though. I have a high end PC and a high end smartphone for mobile... I really dont do anything heavy on a tablet, just browse web, imgur, email and occasional streaming and a few apps. Any decent tablet will do the job.

Takinato

Jul 8, 2012
I didn't think of it that way, I also have desktop and high end mobile, probably grab one Today!

Canadoc

Nov 29, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I got one as a spur of the moment decision. I am Canadian and I happen to be vacationing in New York. I walked into the best buy in Albany and they happen to have one on display. The screen really wowed me and its colors and contrast and I couldn't believe how late it was. I thought it would be nice to have a smaller tablet in this form factor. Overall so far I have really enjoyed it the only tiny issue I have with it is it the bottom right third of the device has a small creek on it sometimes when I first pick it up but after holding it for a while it will not make the noise anymore. It is a small issue and I can certainly live with it as it would be too difficult for me to bring back to return in the United States. Additionally I happen to get lucky and have one of the first LCD screen tablet I have never bought that did not have any light B bleed whatsoever. Even the iPads I have thought in the past have had at least one return before getting one that was satisfactory in that regard.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Furthermore I certainly hope that this device gets its own forum as now that there is a routing option and I see these and phones have custom ROMs it should only be a matter of time that there is a demand for development on this it expensive yet really beautiful tablet

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kathig

dgjenkins

Oct 27, 2011
Monroe
Thanks a lot! The instructions worked like a champ. I did take the time to make a nandroid. Took forever, easily 15-20 minutes, but it was successful. Anyway, thanks again!

I bought the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 on sale for the same price as the Asus and I'll be taking the Galaxy back. They're pretty comparable devices but all things being equal I prefer the Asus. The Galaxy does have the luxury of having a developer community already but now that it's eol they'll be moving on. Hopefully some will hop to this device!

nukebreath

Aug 2, 2012
Aransas Pass TX
I'll root when I have more time to do so. Thx for the post.
When I'm watching movies the screen looks like it's adjusting the brightness. I don't have the brightness set to auto. Anyone else having this problem.? I've gone thru all the settings, can't figure it out. That's the only gripe I have with the tablet. Any help would be awesome.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    all credit to social-media-concepts and vampirefo who developed the root:

this has only been tested on the Z580C model and ONLY FOR LOLLIPOP.

finally got root on my zenpad s 8. i can't say how this'll affect updates in the future, but this is done after taking the first update out of the box as of 7-19-15.

pretty much all you do is follow the info here: http://xdaforums.com/android/development/intel-android-devices-root-temp-cwm-t2975096

grab the file here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60770086&postcount=352

download intel usb drivers here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/intel-usb-driver-for-android-devices

download the latest chainfire su: https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip and copy to your device or sd card

make sure your android sdk is up-to-date.

if you happened to already install the device and the usb adb device has the yellow warning on it, just updated the device driver after installing the intel drivers. select brows my computer... let me pick... scroll down to intel and select adb device.

next verify that adb recognizes your device -> adb devices

unzip IntelAndroid-FBRL-05-16-2015-PTR and run launcher.bat
    if your device is detected select T2 and press enter.

wait a good while as it reboots into recovery. you'll see an error on the launcher bat about failing b/c of too many links or something, just ignore. you device will restart and have a buncha lines of text. after about 3-5min it'll boot into CWM. install su zip and reboot (didn't need to fix su at the propt).

you may want to do a nandroid before flashing SU. i skipped it so i can't say whether it'll be successful or not, but it's better to be i case something goes wrong. i'm still w/in my return period :p
    there you go. enjoy an adfree device or what ever you want to do with your rooted tablet!

stock image available here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeePAD/Zenpad/Z580C/UL-P01M-WW-3.3.8.0-user.zip
    CM 12.1 Experimental Build Ongoing

I'm working on an experimental build for the Z580CA sporting 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB EMMC storage and Intel Atom Z3580 CPU. At the moment I'm examining boot.img and Zenfone 2 repositories because both devices are similar.
    The available kernel source provided by Asus Global are broken, unexpected EOF in archive. I've contacted technical support asking for a working kernel source. Until then I think I can build CM 12.1 with pre-built stock kernel and some information taken from Zenfone 2.
    ZenPad S8.0 signed flash checks

I've found more precisely where signing or some form of unlock is required.

First of all, a useful tool will be 'abootimg' (https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=abootimg):
    # apt-get install abootimg

With that, the original firmaware that gets started via 'adb reboot bootloader' can be opened as:
    $ abootimg -i droidboot.img

$ abootimg -x droidboot.img
    $ mkdir new_initrd
    $ cd new_initrd/
    $ zcat ../initrd.img | cpio -i

As a test, I try inserting into the 1st stage ramdisk 'initrd.img' a new, empty file:
    $ touch mynewfile

... and then repack the image with:
    $ find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../newramdisk.cpio.gz
    $ cd ..

Then the abootimg -generated 'bootimg.cfg' file must be updated. In particular, the total size of the image (on the first line, in hexadecimal base: check that the default value, 0xbeead8, converts into the exact size in bytes for the original droidboot.img: compare the two via

$ echo "ibase=16; BEEAD8"| bc

and:

$ ls -l droidboot.img

A new empty file takes 12 bytes more, and without such step abootimg would complain:
    $ abootimg --create new_droidboot.img -k zImage -f bootimg.cfg -r newramdisk.cpio.gz -s stage2.img
    new_droidboot.img: updated is too big for the Boot Image (12521472 vs 12511960 bytes)

The new size of 12521472 bytes can be converted into HEX as:
    $ echo "obase=16; 12521472"| bc
    BF1000

... thus copying bootimg.cfg into new_bootimg.cfg, its first line should contain such new value (the rest remains unchanged):
    bootsize = 0xbf1000
    [...]

Then repacking the image works:
    $ abootimg --create new_droidboot.img -k zImage -f new_bootimg.cfg -r newramdisk.cpio.gz -s stage2.img

... and we can try flashing it. First, one can test what happens with the original, unmodified 'droidboot.img' file:
    $ adb reboot-bootloader
    $ fastboot flash fastboot droidboot.img
    sending 'fastboot' (12218 KB)...
    OKAY [ 1.256s]
    writing 'fastboot'...
    OKAY [ 1.144s]
    finished. total time: 2.400s

$ fastboot reboot-bootloader
    rebooting into bootloader...
    OKAY [ 0.892s]
    finished. total time: 0.892s

No real changes, everything should work exactly as shipped. But the flashing process is then clear, and can be tried for the new, modified fastboot image:
    $ fastboot flash fastboot new_droidboot.img
    sending 'fastboot' (12230 KB)...
    OKAY [ 1.223s]
    writing 'fastboot'...
    FAILED (remote: check_sign_key fail: no allow update droidboot)

Clearly here a security restriction is enforced. We must still find out where the message comes from.

The original source code of droidboot.c, which gets run in reboot-bootloader mode, appears to be avalilable here:
    https://github.com/quanganh2627/android_hardware_intel/blob/master/libintelprov/droidboot.c

I would like to know what is in particular inside the 'droidboot.img' payload: 'stage2.img', as extracted by adroidboot -x, and for now just repacked in unmodified form. Perhaps it is the signature/security token that we need?

I would like to compare things more closely in particular with a ZenFone 2 of similar hardware specs, and already unlockable; such as the ZE550ML for instance.

Thanks in advance,
    --
    a.
    Hey Guys,

I managed to disable forced encryption finally this also removes the ugly TWRP messages, the boot images are ready to be uploaded.:good:

I also Debloated the device while surviving factory resets in order to do so I removed most asus crap, and switched to pico Gapps:laugh:
    and I got the verified fingerprint added to MagiskHide Props Config, so you just need to install the module and install it from the online repo.

https://preview.ibb.co/dPs05J/Screenshot_20180619_143756_1.jpg[IMG]
    [IMG]https://preview.ibb.co/fxNuzd/Screenshot_20180619_123237.jpg[IMG]
    [IMG]https://preview.ibb.co/kxW9Xy/Screenshot_20180619_123242.jpg
    Screenshot_20180619_123255.jpg

Screenshot_20180619_123304.jpg

I'm uploading this system soon :fingers-crossed:

System apps kept:

Code:
    AppManager
    AsusConfigUpdater
    AsusDeskClock
    AsusInputDevices
    AsusSensorService
    AsusSmartCrop
    AsusSplendidCommandAgent
    AudioWizard
    AudioWizardView
    AwareResource
    Bluetooth
    BluetoothMidiService
    BoostDozeMode
    CWSClientService
    CertInstaller
    DLNAService
    DMClient
    DocumentsUI
    DownloadProviderUi
    FlipfontFelbridge
    FlipfontMFinanceTW
    FlipfontMYingHei
    FlipfontMYuppyTW
    FlipfontSyndor
    FocusAppListener
    GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter
    GoogleTTS
    HTMLViewer
    HardwareStub
    HdmiSettings
    HoloSpiralWallpaper
    ICEsoundService
    InstantPage
    IntelligentDisplay
    KeyChain
    Keyboard
    LatinIME
    LiveWallpapers
    LiveWallpapersPicker
    Lockscreen
    NoiseField
    PAIStub
    PacProcessor
    PrintSpooler
    SMMI_TEST_V5.1.59_CSC_L1L2
    SUWTermsAndConditionsWebViewer
    SensorCal
    TaskManager
    UpdateLauncher
    UserDictionaryProvider
    VppSettings
    WAPPushManager
    WebViewGoogle
    WidiInputService
    XT9IME

priv-app

Code:
    AsusCamera
    AsusContacts
    AsusContactsProvider
    AsusGallery
    AsusGalleryBurst
    AsusLauncher
    AsusMediaProvider
    AsusPackageInstaller
    AsusSettings
    AsusSoundRecorder
    AsusSplendid
    AsusSystemDiagnostic
    AsusSystemUI
    AsusVisualMaster
    BackupRestoreConfirmation
    CalendarProvider
    ConfigUpdater
    DefaultContainerService
    DownloadProvider
    ExternalStorageProvider
    FileManager
    FusedLocation
    GoogleBackupTransport
    GoogleFeedback
    GoogleLoginService
    GoogleOneTimeInitializer
    GooglePackageInstaller
    GooglePartnerSetup
    GoogleServicesFramework
    InputDevices
    ManagedProvisioning
    MmsService
    Phonesky
    PowerSaving2
    PrebuiltGmsCore
    ProxyHandler
    SettingsProvider
    SetupWizard
    SharedStorageBackup
    Shell
    StatementService
    SystemMonitor
    TeleService
    Telecom
    TelephonyProvider
    VpnDialogs
    WallpaperCropper
    itux

Update 21-6:

Images are ready to be downloaded here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19Y0Uv4O_t1gO30oUeA-tA6GxMq5pQLDs?usp=sharing

If you have any questions let me know :)
    Xposed, Fresh Install, Consolidated Tips

So I got xposed-v78-sdk21-x86 running very smoothly. Everyone just be sure to wipe cache and dalvik cache in the temp CWM recovery at the time you install Xposed.
    The modules I'm running:
    -Amplify
    -AppOppsXposed
    -Greenify
    -Power Nap
    -MinMinGuard
    -NotifyClean
    -Xinstaller
    -Fix Lollipop Memory Leak
    -Gravity Box [LP]
    -Activity Force New Task

Some tips for a fresh clean install to a new rom update then Xposed (in this case it was 4.5 for the Z580C):
    1. Backup all user apps and data with Titanium Backup(TiBu) (and some VERY select system apps; try to never back up apps that constantly sync accounts)
    2. Boot into CWM and full wipe (Factory Reset, wipe Cache (takes unreasonably long, just be patient), wipe Dalvik Cache (under advanced), format System(under mount))
    3. Flash the update from your internal SD (in this case 4.5WW), then flash latest SuperSu (I flashed BETA-SuperSU-v2.52.zip, be careful with the Systemless ones as I just tried to flash Beta 2.67 and root prompts were either delayed or never showed. I had to uninstall it then flash 2.52)
    4. Boot up and restore basic settings with google account restore (but no apps except TiBu)
    5. Setup system settings (like change lockscreen quick launch apps before you remove Browser and Email, otherwise that menu FC's. etc)
      -----In Splendid: "adjust the color temperature slider to be 3 positions from the right" (http://www.anandtech.com/show/9555/the-asus-zenpad-s-z580ca-review/6)
      -----In Power saver, switch from "optimized" to "custom" and change the screen brightness to allow up to 100% and toggle power saving mode at a certain percent if you would like (can also toggle with more control in Power Nap xposed module later)
      -----Turn animations down to 0.5X or 0x and turn on force GPU rendering in Developer Options. This does a lot to add a sense of visual speediness.
    6. Use TiBu to freeze/uninstall bloat (if you mark all of the bloatware with filters/lists, this becomes a one step process. As per this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ng-rom-s-hack-s/192528-how-tibu-easy-way.html). I strongly suggest you backup all bloat that you uninstall/freeze, it most likely will save you from reflashing the rom if a problem comes up.
      -----Here is a general list for bloat (http://xdaforums.com/zenfone2/help/bloatware-to-removed-root-t3123108), also just search/filter "asus" and remove most of those.
    7. Reboot (to settle system apps that were removed)
    8. Restore user apps with TiBu, maybe reboot, then setup App Drawer and Launcher to your liking
    9. At this point make sure you've gone into the Play Store and updated all of your apps
    10. Backup all your user apps, some system apps (e.g. google app, boot manager, power saver, splendid), and settings with TiBu
    11. Boot into CWM and wipe Cache and Dalvik
    12. Flash the most recent Xposed sdk21-x86 zip; I used xposed-v78-sdk21-x86.zip found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3034811
      -----It will take 5mins or so to boot and recreate the cache
    13. Install the Xposed installer v3.0 alpha4 and make sure the framework has been installed properly (I like to use this material installer: http://xdaforums.com/xposed/material-design-xposed-installer-t3137758, it has all the same functions as the regular one and looks much better than that or the materialized xposed installer module)
    14. Install your modules (from backup, repository, play store, etc), enable them in the xposed installer, then reboot
      -----I try to heavily limit the modules I run, so as to minimize the lag that can accompany Xposed
      -----I recently ran across this Extreme Battery Life thread and have been so infatuated with it, they use Amplify, Greenify, and Power Nap to extend battery life. It doesn't limit my functionality and basically all runs in the background; check it out (http://xdaforums.com/android/general/guide-extreme-battery-life-t3095884)
    15. That's it!! You should have a buttery smooth ZenPad that is debloated, has Root access, and Xposed!

Let me know if this helps anyone, or if there is anything from my experience that I should clarify.

I'm curious to hear also, what other xposed modules are people running?! And do you have any tips for speed/performance/battery life that I missed?