[RECOVERY][NABI2] TWRP 2.3.3.0, 2.7.1.0 testing

30th December 2012, 11:58 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Portland, Oregon
Thanks Meter: 695

617 posts
This is an update to the TWRP recovery for the Nabi 2.

At this point this recovery is still considered in testing. The normal disclaimers apply. Have a good backup moved to your computer from the previous recovery.
Before starting this your Nabi should be updated to 1.9.37. 2 people that have 1.9.34 - (Madagascar Bundle) and 1.9.35 or 1.9.36 - (UK Versions) were having issues.

Please check your version in Settings-About Tablet-Product version, it needs to be 1.9.37 currently, other tablet versions besides 1.9.37 are experimental see below.

This is for Nabi 2
Nabi JR 4GB is HERE
NabiXD is HERE
Nabi JR 16GB is HERE
If you have Nick/Disney read up about different build for those.

Updates

Latest experimental 2.7.1.0 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=105

Jan 9th 2013
-Change to symlinked partition structure in recovery.fstab as we have found some Nabi's may have different structure
-Added Nabi Kernel version to TWRP screen for easier troubleshooting
-Added Nabi logo in place of Android(just for fun)

Initial
-Latest TWRP 2.3.3.0
-Changed to the prebuilt kernel from Nabi 1.9.37
-Fixed touch issues with some tablets with previous recovery(still testing this)

For more information on TWRP and change log see the TeamWin Website

Download

There are 5 downloads provided. The first is an installer for those less comfortable with the command line, it can install either version of TWRP, and restore the stock recovery if you are updating or returning Nabi to stock. The second two are for people that just want TWRP 2.3.3.0 and can do a manual install. The final two are the last 2.3.3.0 with static partitions should you need to revert.

Auto Installer

Recovery Installer for Nabi(Recovery installer for both old and new kernel TWRP 2.3.3.0, TWRP 2.2.2.1, and STOCK recovery) Use install method 1

Current recovery.img

TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi 1.9.37(Only TWRP 2.3.3.0, manual install, this is what you should be trying to use) Use install method 2 or 3

TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi for versions less then 1.9.37(Only TWRP 2.3.3.0, manual install, EXPERIMENTAL, older Nabi kernel if not working with above) Use install method 2 or 3

Older recovery recovery.img

TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi 1.9.37(Only TWRP 2.3.3.0, manual install, this is what you should be trying to use) Use install method 2 or 3

TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi for versions less then 1.9.37(Only TWRP 2.3.3.0, manual install, EXPERIMENTAL, older Nabi kernel if not working with above) Use install method 2 or 3

Installation

-Method 1 (Recommended install , guided installer)
-Download "Recovery Installer for Nabi" from above
-Extract TWRPinstaller.zip
-Run RecoveryUpdater.bat
Code:
Select option 1 for a Nabi on 1.9.37 and follow directions
Select option 2 for a Nabi not 1.9.37 (UK 1.9.35 or 1.9.36 or Madagascar 1.9.34)
Select option 3 to go back to 2.2.2.1 recovery if option 1 or 2 do not work
Select option 4 to return your Nabi to stock recovery after restoring stock ROM
-Method 2 (manual temporary install, will keep your current recovery)
-Download "TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi" or "TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi for versions less then 1.9.37" for your version
-Extract recovery.img from TWRPrecovery(2).zip to your adb directory
-From a command prompt in your adb directory
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot boot recovery.img
-Method 3 (manual permanent install, will overwrite your current recovery)
-Download "TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi" or "TWRP 2.3.3.0 for Nabi for versions less then 1.9.37" for your version
-Extract recovery.img from TWRPrecovery(2).zip to your adb directory
-From a command prompt in your adb directory
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Other

Device source https://github.com/aicjofs/android_device_fuhu_mt799
TWRP source https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/

Credits
TeamWin team for TWRP.
Dees_Troy for build tutorials.
jmztaylor for the device code to work from.
Last edited by aicjofs; 21st August 2014 at 11:08 PM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to aicjofs For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2012, 12:47 AM   |  #2  
Flag Arizona
Thanks Meter: 905

948 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs

Anyone want to guinea pig a TWRP build I made?

It's version 2.3.3.0 with the latest Nabi kernel. I don't think it will fix touchscreen issues but worth a try. EDIT: Some early results are indicating it is fixing touchscreen issues.

You can try it without installing it permanently

extract recovery.img from TWRPrecovery.zip to your adb directory
adb reboot-bootloader
fastboot boot recovery.img

That won't put it on the device just boot it to ram and you will maintain your current TWRP after a reboot. To make it survive reboot obviously you would need to

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

http://home.comcast.net/~aicjofs/TWRPrecovery.zip

Tried your recovery, all I could say it's perfect. Touch screen in TWRP recovery is 100%. Have ben plagued with the touch screen error in recovery prior to aicjofs latest 2.3.3.0 TWRP recovery.

jmztaylor, aicjofs, t499user, e2950 deserve the XDA Nabi 2 award. Have owned the tablet maybe 3 weeks, in that time was able to restore from soft brick, get a working gapps witout 'Android Upgrading", and new updated 2.3.3.0 TWRP recovery. Got to Love XDA community.

All we need now is our own forum

Sent from my GT-I9300
The Following User Says Thank You to katinatez For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2012, 12:53 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 92

283 posts
+ 1 on all that above
+ i wanted a updated version -
+ thank you
ps: *MY* nabi box says "ages 4-to 40" i think no matter what the age is
they all going to be happy with all this cool stuff.
31st December 2012, 01:33 AM   |  #4  
new york
Thanks Meter: 106

899 posts
More
Talking good job
Glad to see people are happy u made this

The Following User Says Thank You to oniddy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st December 2012, 03:46 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 604

3,463 posts
Great to see more development starting to happen for the Nabi 2, thanks!
1st January 2013, 01:52 AM   |  #6  

283 posts
maybe its just me and i noticed today that i can not get in to Fast boot unless usb is plugged in.

anyone else getting the same ?
1st January 2013, 05:26 AM   |  #7  
Flag Portland, Oregon

617 posts
I have 2 responses from people where this version has touchscreen issues. It is for a 1.9.36(UK Version) and what I believe is a 1.9.34(Madagascar version) I updated the OP but it looks like you should only be using this on 1.9.37 right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Karz

maybe its just me and i noticed today that i can not get in to Fast boot unless usb is plugged in.

anyone else getting the same ?

I always have usb plugged in so I never noticed.
2nd January 2013, 11:17 PM   |  #8  

283 posts
CWM
aicjofs are you doing a CWM recovery for the nabi 2?
3rd January 2013, 03:00 AM   |  #9  
Flag Portland, Oregon

617 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Karz

aicjofs are you doing a CWM recovery for the nabi 2?

I did a CWM for the Nabi. Everything worked except I was having a hard time mounting the /sdcard properly. The internal sdcard as we know it is actually in /data/media(so it's on the data partition), I was able to manually "mount" it(symlink) through shell, but I couldn't make it auto mount. I'm sure it's something simple through init.rc or something but I couldn't get it working right to mount at boot time. On a side note to that, since it's on the data partition care has to be made that if the data partition is wiped that the sdcard is moved off and then back. I'm not sure if CWM does that with a loop device or something, just moves it or what, but it's dangerous. Lot's of devices have it set up this way so I think it would be accounted for, but I know TWRP accounts for it. I'm not sure extendcommand was working correctly either, it appeared to, but log was complaining about it. As it was I had early feedback that new TWRP was fixing touchscreen issues so I put it on back burner, as part of the reason for even building CWM was for those that had touchscreen issues. Only real change was to the BoardConfig.mk for BOARD_HAS_NO_SELECT_BUTTON to make CWM "function" less mounting problems.

Now I'm trying to decide if we are better using /dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name in the recovery.fstab for those Nabi's with different partition structure. jmztaylor was kind enough to give me his ear and I think we should do tegra by name. No reason we shouldn't have one TWRP version, 2 at most. Once I get TWRP working for all Nabi versions for sure, I will probably revisit it.
Last edited by aicjofs; 3rd January 2013 at 03:19 AM.
9th January 2013, 08:17 PM   |  #10  
Flag Portland, Oregon

617 posts
Updated to symlink partitions for Nabi's that have been found that might contain a different partition structure.
Nabi kernel version added for easier troubleshooting
Nabi logo

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread