New 4.4.2 Kitkat Head Unit (Newsmy Carpad NU3001)

Today, 10:00 AM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
regarding playstore, it seems to be present if you believe the youtube demo
Today, 03:24 PM   |  #52  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
I wonder if it wasn't sideloaded. The manual specifically says you have to use the Wouldjamacallit program to install apps (this is from a Chinese alternative app store). I will just flash a gapps as soon as it arrives anyway.

There is no indication about connection for subwoofer. The "AVIN" port has a lot of pins and is supposedly for a backup camera so I have to wonder if there isn't more functions available there. What's sure is that there are no RCAs pictured.

They have shipped mine, so the race is on!

Departed Facility in SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC SHENZHEN - CHINA, PEOPLES REPUBLIC 20:21

Summer also sent me an email this morning telling me that they have a six day holiday starting tomorrow and won't be responding during that time.
Today, 03:40 PM   |  #53  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmer1455

I would also like to come up with a way to power the android box separately from the head unit (it must be possible to some extent because you can remove the android box and use it with a monitor or TV via HDMI). Maybe mount a small battery of some sort that can power the android box in sleep mode for several days (via USB) but the amps and monitor left off. Then when you start the car the main car battery could keep the android battery topped off. The android unit should come out of sleep mode and ready to go in just a couple of seconds.

I just noticed in the video that the power button puts it to sleep.

I expect devices like this to go to sleep when you turn off the ignition and wake up when you turn it on. I don't understand why all the others completely shut off and have to cold boot every time. If my phone can last for a week in sleep (and in airplane mode) then one of these HUs should be able to sleep for a day without draining the car battery. And they could always cause it to fully shut down if they detect a drop in battery voltage.
Today, 04:10 PM   |  #54  

31 posts
subwoofer
I did get an answer back from Anna about the subwoofer. She confirmed with an engineer that there is a subwoofer output. She sent me this picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.1??.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (246.5 KB, 10 views)
Today, 04:18 PM   |  #55  

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsitges

I just noticed in the video that the power button puts it to sleep.

I expect devices like this to go to sleep when you turn off the ignition and wake up when you turn it on. I don't understand why all the others completely shut off and have to cold boot every time. If my phone can last for a week in sleep (and in airplane mode) then one of these HUs should be able to sleep for a day without draining the car battery. And they could always cause it to fully shut down if they detect a drop in battery voltage.

It'll depend on how they have it wired for power. The power button may put it to sleep but when the ignition is turned off it cuts power to most functions (usually only a clock and some form of memory to store stations and so forth). They could set it up to power the unit in sleep mode but I bet they play it safe and shut it down when the ignition is off (don't want people complaining about dead car batteries). I think it would be best if it had a separate battery to run on. That battery could keep it in sleep mode and power it for use. Then wire that battery to charge via the car battery when the ignition is on. Seems very doable to me. You'd just need a 12v battery to run the unit and a way to charge it via the car battery. That way it would never run down the car battery and the worst case if the car sat for a long time would be a cold boot when the battery started getting power from the car.
Today, 04:29 PM   |  #56  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmer1455

It'll depend on how they have it wired for power. The power button may put it to sleep but when the ignition is turned off it cuts power to most functions (usually only a clock and some form of memory to store stations and so forth). They could set it up to power the unit in sleep mode but I bet they play it safe and shut it down when the ignition is off (don't want people complaining about dead car batteries). I think it would be best if it had a separate battery to run on. That battery could keep it in sleep mode and power it for use. Then wire that battery to charge via the car battery when the ignition is on. Seems very doable to me. You'd just need a 12v battery to run the unit and a way to charge it via the car battery. That way it would never run down the car battery and the worst case if the car sat for a long time would be a cold boot when the battery started getting power from the car.

You're probably right.

A device that does what we're talking about is actually pretty simple: a laptop battery would be plenty of juice, and a handful of semiconductors would do the rest.

Someone ought to make one. I'll bet they'd sell it to everyone who bought an Android head unit.
Today, 04:36 PM   |  #57  

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsitges

You're probably right.

A device that does what we're talking about is actually pretty simple: a laptop battery would be plenty of juice, and a handful of semiconductors would do the rest.

Someone ought to make one. I'll bet they'd sell it to everyone who bought an Android head unit.

Seems something like this would work great. A little expensive though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenergy-POWE...item43ca4fbcc1

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

One thing to consider is that the battery would need to put out enough amps to power the amplifier in the head unit. That may put a laptop battery or the power bank I posted out of the running.

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

Now this one claims that you can jump start a car with it (I'm not sure I believe that)!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-CAR-JUMP...item5d4b02b276
Today, 08:32 PM   |  #58  

31 posts
Finally able to order it. Had to get it from Anna at Newsmy via Paypal. Haven't heard anything back yet.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread