Thread Deleted

New 4.4.2 Kitkat Head Unit (Newsmy Carpad NU3001)

OP alaninsitges

Yesterday, 02:56 PM
Flag Newburgh
Thanks Meter: 73

734 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuatara

In my first ROM 1.1.4.1 - I found that the graphics cache settings were too aggressive, and it was attempting to retain too much in memory, and not releasing enough back to the OS (under load). In the latest ROM I have reduced these values, and have not experienced the update-region flashing since.

I've had the "flickering" issue ever since day one of the install. I have not traced down the cause as of yet, but I am leaning towards something to do with interference or a bad ground. The symptoms get worse or, better depending on which way the H/U is positioned in my car (I don't have it anywhere except laying on passenger footwell at the moment). I highly doubt it has anything to do with your tweaks.
I can pick up my H/U from off the floor and move it around and get the screen to flicker. So, it's either a bad firewire cable (have a replacement, no time to rip apart dash to install) or bad pins in the H/U or in the screen.

"In my latest ROM" <---- and when can we expect that?
Yesterday, 06:56 PM
Thanks Meter: 3

46 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyt5646

I have a few questions before i purchase this unit.

I have read this thread up to page 77. i started out with a chinese hu with win ce for my vw gti. got rid of the vw and hu. then i got a 1st gen nexus 7 with timurs kernel installed. had it wired into my hu that i had in my other truck that i do not have anymore. i liked it but it was a pain switching from the hu to the nexus 7. i could only use one or the other. i am looking for a new stereo for my new truck. i was looking at the pioneer 8000nex or 8100nex. both are big money. i came across this unit and i am interested but have questions. does the unit have a ui like other car stereos. can you be in let say google maps and play pandora or the fm radio or play mp3's and move to the next track all while having maps still in the foreground. how seamless is the unit. does it function like a car stereo or is it just like a tablet.

i came across a rom called autodroid. i was wondering if that could be installed on this unit.

thanks for the help
john

It runs full android, so yes you can multitask and in mho its way better than those nex which i thought about buy but got this instead
Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 295

872 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafle

"In my latest ROM" <---- and when can we expect that?

it's posted in his G-Drive. Click on the link in his sig. I think he's up to 1.1.4.3
I know he's been working on another release (.4), but not sure how close he is.
Today, 12:34 AM
St Pete, Fl
Thanks Meter: 69

286 posts
More

Finally got it installed... 2007 hummer h2.. thanks @Zaphod-Beeblebrox for talking me into the 8" and for help on the noob questions... fits perfect behind bezel.. quick question... do you get disappearing swc functions? I can program thru key editor but sometimes it looses the key assignment (random to my knowledge) requiring re programming...

Thanks @Tuatara for the rom and for making editing a prop.build doable... #allblacks

General thoughts.. the unit definitely exceeded my expectations in every aspect. .. anyone on the fence I'd say get one... also time line paypal to doorstep was 7 days..

Specific questions...

BT call volume. Stereo comfortable as 5-6... BT call "hearable" at 15-20+. I tried adjusting the bt volume thru the bt app (up/down in lower right corner) it is increase/decrease but not to the degree I don't get my ears shattered when switching back to stereo. I've tried xvolume thru xposed and volumizer thru play store without luck. the bt call volume seems to only be changeable thru the inherit dialer not 3rd party (ex dialer). I was going to try to tweak thru viper "bluetooth device " but I think that is not the phone bt... this is something I can live with just wondering if anyone had any thoughts...?

I was trying to do verizon messages app for sms but that is a straight fc... not sure on that one... also google tts HD voices are not downloadable... related to device Id in store...?

...also been playing with car home ultra app... pretty sweet..
Thanks everyone!
Last edited by kingamra; Today at 12:39 AM.
Today, 06:07 AM
Flag Idaho Falls
Thanks Meter: 53

401 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyt5646

I have a few questions before i purchase this unit.

I have read this thread up to page 77. i started out with a chinese hu with win ce for my vw gti. got rid of the vw and hu. then i got a 1st gen nexus 7 with timurs kernel installed. had it wired into my hu that i had in my other truck that i do not have anymore. i liked it but it was a pain switching from the hu to the nexus 7. i could only use one or the other. i am looking for a new stereo for my new truck. i was looking at the pioneer 8000nex or 8100nex. both are big money. i came across this unit and i am interested but have questions. does the unit have a ui like other car stereos. can you be in let say google maps and play pandora or the fm radio or play mp3's and move to the next track all while having maps still in the foreground. how seamless is the unit. does it function like a car stereo or is it just like a tablet.

i came across a rom called autodroid. i was wondering if that could be installed on this unit.

thanks for the help
john

I too had a nexus 7 with USBRom, and then switched to Autodroid.
This head unit has the same (or similar) interface as an Android tablet. There are apps for FM radio and bluetooth phone/media. So yes, its just standard Android and you can have maps running in the background while listening to Pandora or any other media app.
Autodroid was made for the Nexus 7 so its unlikely it will run on this, we do however have a few Custom ROMs available for this on the wiki.
Today, 12:06 PM
Thanks Meter: 10

85 posts
More
Quote:

BT call volume. Stereo comfortable as 5-6... BT call "hearable" at 15-20+. I tried adjusting the bt volume thru the bt app (up/down in lower right corner) it is increase/decrease but not to the degree I don't get my ears shattered when switching back to stereo. I've tried xvolume thru xposed and volumizer thru play store without luck. the bt call volume seems to only be changeable thru the inherit dialer not 3rd party (ex dialer). I was going to try to tweak thru viper "bluetooth device " but I think that is not the phone bt... this is something I can live with just wondering if anyone had any thoughts...?

BT call volume can be changed only from Bluetooth App and, seems, only while or when you're on call (conversation).
Today, 01:31 PM
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 295

872 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingamra

Finally got it installed... 2007 hummer h2.. thanks @Zaphod-Beeblebrox for talking me into the 8" and for help on the noob questions... fits perfect behind bezel.. quick question... do you get disappearing swc functions? I can program thru key editor but sometimes it looses the key assignment (random to my knowledge) requiring re programming...

8" definitely fits nice in there. Very similar to my GMC truck. I had to 'hacksaw' some dash braces in the back on mine, but worth it. How was the internal fit for you?

As for SWC, I've not had any buttons lose programming, but I do experience some random oddness, lack of sensitivity, etc. I think this is less to do with the radio, and more to do with how our SWC works. Our SWC communicates through the GMLan (their proprietary and incompatible with anything else in the world CAN system). I use an Axxess ASWC1 to translate the GMLan signals into a resistive ladder. If I remember correctly, you went with PAC products rather than Metra/Axxess. Not sure how well the PAC products do, but I see some pretty large variances in the resistive values returned on each key press.

When you 'lose' a key, and you go into the key editor, is there still a number associated with the key? or does it say undefined? If the number is still there, what you are probably seeing is variance that is outside the acceptable range of the key editor. You can change the precision of the key values in the menu.

When you have some free time, play around with re-assigning all of the buttons multiple times, and pay attention to what values are shown in the key editor for each key pressed. In my case, I found some inconsistencies on a few buttons that meant I couldn't use them independently. For example. my source Up/Down buttons don't reliably push a distinct value (sometimes I get the same number for up as down), so I ended up only using one of those keys. Same happened with my volume up/down. I could use down, but never got a value for up. So I ended up mapping volume down to MUTE, and the track up/down to my volume keys.

Will probably confuse the hell out of someone new driving my truck.

Subscribe to Thread