Do the following at your own risks. Steps are provided to help you Root and Install CWM Based Recovery to your Phone (Starmobile ASTRA) as a guide. Ultimately YOU are responsible for your own actions.
To NEW starmobile ASTRA users, please NOTE the Android Version of your unit, if it says ICS or Android 4.0 or 4.0.4 then this guide will work for you. HOWEVER, starmobile has started releasing ASTRA with JB or Jellybean that is Android 4.1 or 4.2 version. THIS GUIDE MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU. Be warned.
1. You must HAVE prior knowledge of how to root Android phones, either you have rooted a previous phone or have helped/seen one being rooted.
2. PC running windows 7 and connected to the INTERNET. (I haven't tested this on Windows XP but you can try and give feedback, the internet connection is required for any DRIVER download which might be required)
Software Requirements (Please download the following)
1. Root with Restore by Bin4ry
1. Driver Installation: Install the correct drivers for your phone. (Do any of the following)
A. Search and Install MTK6577 driver / MEDIATEK VCOM USB Drivers
B. Install PDANet (it will automatically install the drivers for your phone)
C. Download and install SuperOneClick (it will automatically install the drivers for your phone)
D. If PC is connected to the internet, Windows 7 will automatically install drivers for you when you connect your phone.
2. Please ensure that USB DEBUGGING and INSTALL FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES are ON in your ASTRA. See SETTINGS. Connect your ASTRA to the PC using the provided USB cable.
3. Unzip the zip file Root with Restore from Bin4ry. Then RUN/START the Runme.bat file.
4. It will start the rooting process script, Choose 1 then ENTER (Device Type - NORMAL).
5. Wait a while, then look at your ASTRA and it should ask you to RESTORE, after which it will REBOOT.
6. The script will continue UNTIL you will see a message SUCCESSFUL.
7. Congratulations you have ROOTED your STARMOBILE ASTRA.
1. Download Astra Recovery ZIP file, and UNZIP. Connect your phone to the PC and mount as USB drive.
2. Copy the mu7577.apk and recovery.img file to the root (or main folder or highest level folder) of your SDCARD.
3. Install the Mobileuncle Tools (mu7577.apk)
4. Run Mobileuncle Tools
5. Choose Recovery Update
6. Choose the recovery file in SDcard.
7. It will ask for root permission (GRANT it) the it will Flash the recovery image to your phone and reboot you to CMW recovery.
8. NOW YOU HAVE CMW Recovery for installing zip files/custom ROMs.
9. Use Volume up/down keys to navigate and Power button to choose/select. Be very careful, if you do not know what you are doing then do not select/change anything in recovery.
10. Choose Reboot System Now to exit recovery and reboot celphone.