HP Slate 4600: I need someone to test this with the 4600!
DISCLAIMER: This was successfully tested on my HP Slate 7 2800 on Linux Mint 17. THIS COULD POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR TAB IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG!!! Proceed at your own risk!
How to Root:
1. Download Cydia Impactor from http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ and install it.
2. Download and install adb. There are multiple ways to do this. One way is to install the Android SDK from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and install adb through the SDK manager.
3. Download the android.rules.zip from https://sites.google.com/site/jrc2sw...p-slate-7-2800 and extract the .zip file.
4. Move the two **-android.rules files to /etc/udev/rules.d and mark as executable. Restart your computer.
5. Enable USB Debugging in Developer Options on the tablet. Connect it to the computer.
6. Open the Terminal Emulator on your computer and change the directory to the path where adb is located like this: cd insert/path/for/adb/ (hit enter)
7. Start adb and scan for devices by running sudo ./adb devices (hit enter.) You should see a serial number with the word device next to it.
8. Minimize adb and start Cydia Impactor. Make sure it says "# drop SuperSU su to /system/xbin/su." Click "Start." If you get a no device found error, click "Bridge" > "Connect" and then click start again.
9. Reboot your tablet. Download Root Checker from the Play Store to make sure you are rooted. Follow the tutorial in the next post for installing CWM Recovery and the SuperSU app to control which apps are granted root access.