FORUMS

Question about Rooted Android

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By blz8, Junior Member on 29th November 2014, 11:42 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Hi. I'm a long time technical person and have some experience with rooting various kinds of devices. I've jail-broken iPhones, run custom firmwares on my routers (OpenWRT, Tomato and the likes) and have finally gotten an Android device for testing (an RCA 7 Voyager RCT6773W22 on 4.4.2 Kitkat) and was able to root it successfully with Kingo.

What I cannot quite figure out after doing quite a lot of searching is how to set things up a proper Linux/UNIX CLI environment. Things like OpenSSL/OpenSSH, coreutils, inetutils/, bash, perl, being able to set the root password (why is there no passwd command?), etc., etc.

I was able to do this on jail-broken iPhones just fine where I would end up with a normal looking unix/Linux like filesystem and utilities and could even manage packages via apt/dpkg which was real nice.

And so I thought this wouldn't be an issue on a system like Android once rooted. Most of what I was able to find seems to use busybox/dropbear, which I've used on routers before and was fine but seems a little light weight here.

I thought I had found the solution through a package manager called BotBrew that I came across, but couldn't get it or the Basil version of it to work (I just get Update Failed no matter what.) And I also noticed it seems to put everything in /data/botbrew and not just under /. Admittedly I'm not very familiar with the file-system of Android so maybe that's normal and I'm just missing something in that regard.

Thanks for any advise.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)