Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Szsion dual core A9 android 4.2 1024x600 car radios

OP maitrot

3rd November 2014, 08:58 PM   |  #111  
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
Hi, does anyone know if this is the latest firmware for my system please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141027_094840304_iOS.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	2997743  
3rd November 2014, 09:42 PM   |  #112  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
SzSion and HUAWEI E1750
In case any of you would like to connect a USB modem directly to the szsion unit, I've found a solution that works with HUAWEI E1750 and software 22-8.
Please keep in mind that:

1) There are two usb ports but only one is dedicated for USB modem (so basically: if it does not work it means that you need to try the other one)
2) My SIM card has disabled PIN-code verification and it works, I will try with another card with PIN-code verification enabled and report back if it works
3) You need to specify APN manually (searching for networks does not work). To do so please go to Settings -> Mobile networks -> Access points names. Now please click on the option button on right and select "Reset to default". This step is not necessary but will remove all leftovers. Now from the same menu choose "New APN". You are obliged to put: name, APN, username, password MCC and MNC. All these can be found easily via google for all providers around the globe. Now, to save the new APN (as there is no OK button on the bottom) you need to press the menu button and click on "Save". The tricky part here is that you will notice that there is nothing on the list BUT actually it does not matter as it was saved anyway. In case the signal is strong enough you should be connected to the internet in less than 2 minutes.

What I noticed is that in my case, using USB modem somehow affected the GPS locking fix. Before from time to time somehow I was unable to gain a fix and now it is very fast and locks on more satellites than before. Maybe this can be related to A-GPS function of the software that is hidden somewhere, who knows... It works

Hope someone will find this useful.
Last edited by _Adik_; 4th November 2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typos
4th November 2014, 06:33 AM   |  #113  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbor1

Hi, does anyone know if this is the latest firmware for my system please?

Seems like you have the latest one, almost all of us here are stuck on 8-22 and MCU 1.13 (you have 9-17 and MCU 1.18).
Could you please tell us if (for instance) parktronic works? What does and what does not? What car is it?
4th November 2014, 10:01 AM   |  #114  

33 posts
Szsion dual core A9 android 4.2 1024x600 car radios
Screen goes blank when the car is put in reverse. Steering wheel controls don't work properly. The internal and externally fitted mics are unusable. Nobody can hear you talking. The weather widget does not update location. Other than that just a couple of little niggles. It's the hands free part of the system I want working properly.

What is parktronics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4th November 2014, 03:28 PM   |  #115  
Flag Ufa
Thanks Meter: 16

100 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbor1

Screen goes blank when the car is put in reverse. Steering wheel controls don't work properly. The internal and externally fitted mics are unusable. Nobody can hear you talking. The weather widget does not update location. Other than that just a couple of little niggles. It's the hands free part of the system I want working properly.

What is parktronics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What car do you have?
Parktronics is radio sensors at front and rear side car, i think you don't have it.
pictures in google:
https://www.google.ru/search?q=parkt...tronics+vw+rcd
4th November 2014, 06:51 PM   |  #116  

33 posts
No I don't have Parktronics looking at your pictures. I have a BMW X5 E53 Model.
5th November 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #117  
Thanks Meter: 2

31 posts
Can some one makes the latest firmware available?
19th November 2014, 11:23 AM   |  #118  
Thanks Meter: 3

20 posts
My review of the unit, and its manufacturer:-

Summary: a flawed device with unrealised potential, manufactured (sadly) by a company (ie Sion) which is canít be trusted and doesnít care/is unresponsive. Its very strange, they go to all the effort of manufacturing something, but put zero effort into supporting it. They donít understand that happy customers leads to more customers!
Ordering advice:
  • If you can buy some other unit from a different manufacturer, do that instead!
  • Consider carefully just using an ordinary Android tablet - tested by the Android Compatibility Program!
  • If you really must have Sionís unit, buy it from a reseller, since they have more leverage with Sion than you.
  • Get them to agree to pay one leg of the shipping for any warranty return.
  • Pay via PayPal, and make sure the unit is operational before the refund period expires!
Disclosure: I returned a unit for warranty repair; Linkey Yan said theyíd fixed it, and would ship it back, but they never did. They may be bankrupt/broke? As things stand, Iím more than $600 out of pocket! So if I sound overly harsh, that's the context.
This review covers 2 things:
1. Sion customer service (in a word: terrible, you couldn't make it that bad if you tried)
2. the unit itself

Sion customer service

I ordered my unit in early Janaury. The ensuing tale of woe:
  • 4 month delay in delivery (order 9 Jan; received mid June)
  • missing Australian maps
  • external microphone advertised but not fitted
  • missing reverse camera; refund promised but never made
  • incorrect wiring diagram
  • supposed to fit 2001 Audi A6, but no RNS-D wiring harness or adapter
  • unit stopped working on day 1
  • 10 day delay between return request and Sion response (Alibaba complaint necessary)
  • 26 Sept: unit reportedly fixed
  • 8 Oct: they promised to ship ďthis weekĒ
  • unit never returned to me; no further correspondence at all from SzSion (as at time of writing 19 Nov)
  • net result: about $600 out of pocket
(With all their lies, how confident can one be that the unit is free of malware?)
After more than 10 months since date of order, and out of ideas for how to contact Sion (I don't speak Chinese - can anyone here help?), I don't expect to ever get what I paid for
When the unit stopped working, I ordered a second unit, this time, via a reseller (Shenzhen HSXD). This review is of that unit.

Review of 2nd unit

Kernel 3.4.5 (22 Aug); MCU Cp_Lemon_1.13 May 21 2014

[Installation] For my 2001 Audi Allroad, I needed an RNS-D to E adapter, which I sourced from another supplier. You can get a simple one, or one that converts the can bus signals. I used the latter, for all the good it did...
Fitting is extremely tight (with all the wiring which needs to be squeezed in). I donít ever want to have to remove it to make any changes at the rear!

[Canbus] The car info app doesnít display anything (speed, air conditioning settings). But the display does dim when the lights are turned on:- I donít know whether that comes from the canbus or not.
[Bluetooth phone] It pairs with my iPhone, and I can hear the other end of the call, but they canít hear me (the internal mic on the unit canít compete with road noise at highway speed). Worse, when the call is terminated, there is no sound from the unit anymore! (have to use the iphone to change the sound settings).
The unit came with a cable for connection C, labelled ďmic phoneĒ (different to the cable the first unit had), but the diagram on the unit says C is for can bus TX /RX, so Iím not sure whether it would support an external mic. (Certainly the first unit didnít, and its C cable was for can bus). Maybe this explains the lack of canbus info?
Anyway, given the tight fit / physical constraints, Iím not taking the unit out to try an external mic. I wonít use the unit for bluetooth. Iíll get a standalone bluetooth mic/speaker. Pity.

[SWC] These donít work at all.

[display] In full sunlight, you canít see the display

[touch screen] Works pretty well, but search button in Google Play store doesnít seem to work

[calendar] Get message ďunfortunately the calendar has stoppedĒ. Not that I use it. Click OK and it goes away..

[internet access] No need for 3G USB (havenít tested), since the unit has wifi built in. But its wifi antenna is weak/non-existent. The car needs to be really close to your wifi router to pick up the signal!

[GPS] The GPS functionality is good, and vehicle speed seems accurate.

[Navigation - iGo] I was supplied European maps, but need Australian ones. The PC-based iGo tool doesnít detect iGo maps on the Sion supplied micro SDHC card, and the iGo web site doesnít list Sion as a customer, so I suspect Sion have pirated iGoís stuff. Anyone know how to get new iGo maps?

[Navigation Ė Sygic] The Sygic app I installed works well, except that sometimes after stopping (eg to get fuel), it says "Inaccurate signal for car navigation". This happens even though a GPS info app shows say 9 satellites. This is an app level problem though, rather than the device (there are a few threads you can find in Google with suggested workarounds). It hasn't happened since the trial period ran out, and turn by turn nav functionality was turned off. So I don't know whether it'll start happening again when I buy the premium features. I see there was a Nov update to Sygic, so maybe they've even fixed it!

[Music] The built in music play canít play FLAC files, so Iím using n7 player. After ignition stop/start, sometimes it resumes playing where you left off, but usually it doesnít (ie a 45 min track will start playing from the beginning again)

[Play store] As noted above the search button in Google Play store doesnít seem to work. I tried to install SpeedTest app (internet speed), but got a no space on device message. Weird, since there is space... Various apps are stated to be incompatible with the unit.

[DVB] To my surprise, the device came with an embedded TV tuner, which works in Australia!

[reverse camera] I installed a reverse camera, and used the wiring described in an earlier post (thanks!) to have it show automatically when reverse gear is selected. There is a loud static sound when you select or shift through reverse. Regrettable, but I can live with it.

[general] Sometimes the unit freezes entirely.
There is a high pitched whining sound over my speakers, noticeable at low speeds, tied to the accelerator. A bit annoying, but I can live with it.

Googleís own car efforts focus on a UI which is suitable for use whilst driving. Iíd like to customise the unit so it is safer to use while driving. Fundamentally, to make it easier to switch between my nav app and my music app, and Iíd like a music app which is more car friendly (any suggestions?)

Conclusion: For my purposes, good GPS; good music. Thatís all. Nothing that a standalone andoid tablet canít do better (eg a Nexus device wouldnít be stuck on Android 4.2), and without all the hassle of dealing with Sion.
Today, 08:44 PM   |  #119  
Velikiy Novgorod

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxh99

My review of the unit, and its manufacturer:-
[Music] The built in music play canít play FLAC files, so Iím using n7 player. After ignition stop/start, sometimes it resumes playing where you left off, but usually it doesnít (ie a 45 min track will start playing from the beginning again)

Iíd like a music app which is more car friendly (any suggestions?)

I tried some music players, and chose Mort player. It always resumes playback when I turn on ignition (if Sion unit sleeped, not rebooted), and doesn't crash.
It has widgets for displaying art, song and artist name, but the font is too small. I think it's Sion unit's launcher problem, it is not fully compatible with some widgets.
It also has screen layout for car, but it's not very useful.

Quote:

[DVB] To my surprise, the device came with an embedded TV tuner, which works in Australia!

Is it separate box with wires/connectors, or is it built in the Sion unit?
Can You post model / photos please?

Quote:

[reverse camera] I installed a reverse camera, and used the wiring described in an earlier post (thanks!) to have it show automatically when reverse gear is selected. There is a loud static sound when you select or shift through reverse. Regrettable, but I can live with it.

Did You try to short contacts of audio input in reverse camera connectors? Maybe it will help.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread