Post Reply

New 4.4.2 Kitkat Head Unit (Newsmy Carpad NU3001)

OP alaninsitges

2nd September 2014, 05:32 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
I'm updating this post so as to provide an overview of what is discussed in the thread (and in hopes that people will quit asking the same questions over and over that have already been answered).

WHAT IS IT: The Newsmy Carpad NU3001 is a dual-DIN Android head unit that runs KitKat 4.4.2, has a 7-inch screen, and no physical controls.

MAJOR FEATURES:
  • Quad-core 1.6GHz Rockchip RK3188 CPU and 1GB RAM
  • FM radio (RDS currently not working, awaiting a software update, priusfan figured out how to hack station names if you really must)
  • 8GB Flash
  • Android Box that contains CPU and most of the Android guts connected via cable that can be unplugged and removed from the car
  • Built-in Wifi
  • 1024x600 Capacitive Screen
  • Dual Bluetooth: one is standard Android BT for use with ODB etc. The second is hard-wired to the phone app and only works for phone calls and streaming music.
  • Pure Android, no fugly launchers, minimal other apps that aren't bad.
  • 5x25W amplifier but no balance or fader controls

WHERE TO BUY: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Newsm...035002543.html COST USD$339. People are reporting various delivery times, mine shipped next day and arrived a week later. Note: this is the actual manufacturer on AliExpress, other pages are resellers. Do with that what you will. There is a dealer in Spain if you'd prefer to buy from Europe, it's 417 plus shipping with VAT included. http://exclusivecarauto.com/android-...fi-p-1001.html

BASIC Q&A:
Is it any good? Yes, it seems to be stable and work as expected
Is there a version for my car? No. It's only a universal 2-DIN package
But I saw one for a... No you didn't. That's a Windows CE/Android frankestein thing made by the same company. You don't want it.
Does it work with Torque? Yes.
Does it work with my SWC? Supposedly, nobody has tried it yet. There is both CAN bus and resistive connections.
Can I talk on the phone and use Torque at the same time? Yes.
Can it be rooted? It comes rooted out of the box.
What ports does it have? USB Host, USB OTG, little bitty HDMI for when you take the Android Box out of your car and hook it to a TV
What connections does it have for my car? 4 channel high-power speakers, FM antenna, 1 set of line outs, 1 set of line ins, 3 composite video ins, CAN bus low and high (confusingly labeled + and -) and the usual complement of battery, acc, ground, dash lights, reverse switch, etc.
Does it run ....? Yes, think of it as a 7-inch tablet with built-in amp and radio that looks great in your dash.
AliExpress? Yes. It's like the Chinese eBay. Buying from them is not complicated. Summer, the girl who handles orders, is responsive and helpful.

HELPFUL LINKS:
CAVEATS:
  • There are no balance or fader controls, no equalizer, etc. You get 25 watts to 4 speakers and a single line out to hook up your subs or amps or whatever.
  • RDS doesn't work at the moment, they say a software update is in the works.
  • The microphone input is hard-wired to the phone-specific BT module. This means among other things that you cannot use Google Now voice control with this unit until we figure out how to connect a mic to it. There is plenty of USB connectivity, so it's only a matter of time.

OTHER INTERESTING THINGS:
There are extra wires in the AV harness that are for old-school steering wheel keys that use a resistive matrix. It ought to be possible to hook up all sorts of buttons and controls in a car for various stuff. The MCU is aware of these.
It sounds really good.
Screen is bright and crisp.
Using the Android box with your TV requires a DC adapter that is not included and nobody knows what the specs are.

I'll try to keep this post updated but it's my busy season at work so don't have a lot of time.

Here's the original post that started it all:



I've been wanting to buy a H/U for a while now but nobody makes one of the Huifei ones for my Saab 9-3, and the universal ones are so gaudy and fugly that I've just kept searching, hoping to find something better looking. Today I came across this Italian guy on eBay, selling a very attractive universal double DIN with Kitkat. The one he's selling is a dual Android/WinCE unit (not interested) and claims to have both an 8-inch and 10.2-inch screen, so not really trustworthy.

BUT. I did a reverse image search on all the stuff he copy/pasted in the wrong aspect ratio and came up with a different model from Newsmy which claims to have a quad core A9 @ 1.6Ghz and be pure Android 4.4.2 with no WinCE.

Other stuff:

- Works with steering wheel controls
- 7" display @ 1024x600
- NO optical drive
- Dual bluetooth (one standard BC5 for the phone, one for OBD).
- Good TDA7851 amplifier (28Wx4)
- All the usual crap like car DVR, TV, etc.
- Screenshot shows a stock launcher, no sign of any UI that looks like it's from an 80's sci-fi movie.
- I am aware that it appears to be a cheap tablet stuck to the front of a 2-DIN chassis
- No line outs that I can see, one of the sockets on the back is labled AV IN and looks to have a lot of pins, and another that seems to be a firewire port labeled Key Accessory Interface. No idea.

The only way to buy one seems to be either for USD$299 through a reseller on Aliexpress, whose listing is mostly incomprehensible, or direct from Newsmy on EC21 for USD$200. I have no experience with either site.

I guess I'm going to roll the dice and see if I can get one of these shipped to me and find out if it's any good.

ETA: found a ton of pictures; apparently you can pull the front panel off and connect it to your TV via HDMI.

EATA: not allowed to post links so you'll have to Google I guess.
Last edited by alaninsitges; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.
11th September 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #2  
principino1984's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pisa
Thanks Meter: 15
 
168 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
More
did you find any news about this carpad?
17th September 2014, 11:19 PM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
What are the pros nd cons to use a HU with android and winCE?

Is there a reason why to use winCE instead of a Pure android HU?
17th September 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #4  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
45 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jindoseg

What are the pros nd cons to use a HU with android and winCE?

Is there a reason why to use winCE instead of a Pure android HU?

Pure Android HUs have to cold boot each time the car is turned on (I don't understand this, certainly a tablet with a battery in airplane mode could last for many days without affecting the battery of a car, so I don't get why a HU can't be left in this state vs completely shut down) and startup time is way too long. The WinCE units are set up that way because they actually run Android in a virtual machine on CE and just suspend the VM when the HU is powered off. CE can start up in a couple of seconds and so your time to operation of Android is a fraction of cold booting every time. This sounds like a mess to me and I'm really only interested in a pure Android HU. From what I understand the Chinese companies have engineers working overtime to reduce Android boot time and some have it down into the 15-second range.

N.b., I've been unable to buy the one mentioned in the original post. Both websites are broken and companies don't responde to mail.
18th September 2014, 10:29 PM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsitges

Pure Android HUs have to cold boot each time the car is turned on (I don't understand this, certainly a tablet with a battery in airplane mode could last for many days without affecting the battery of a car, so I don't get why a HU can't be left in this state vs completely shut down) and startup time is way too long. The WinCE units are set up that way because they actually run Android in a virtual machine on CE and just suspend the VM when the HU is powered off. CE can start up in a couple of seconds and so your time to operation of Android is a fraction of cold booting every time. This sounds like a mess to me and I'm really only interested in a pure Android HU. From what I understand the Chinese companies have engineers working overtime to reduce Android boot time and some have it down into the 15-second range.

N.b., I've been unable to buy the one mentioned in the original post. Both websites are broken and companies don't responde to mail.


Thank you for your reply.

Thats a big disadvantage of the NU3001 and what about the DT2001S-H-H?

both are android 4.4 but the DT2001S has 2gb ddr3 + Wince
19th September 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
I'm curious
I would like to know more about this head unit. Mostly is it reliable and how does it look in person. Does anyone have this yet?
Thanks,
Brett
19th September 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #7  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaninsitges

I've been wanting to buy a H/U for a while now but nobody makes one of the Huifei ones for my Saab 9-3, and the universal ones are so gaudy and fugly that I've just kept searching, hoping to find something better looking. Today I came across this Italian guy on eBay, selling a very attractive universal double DIN with Kitkat. The one he's selling is a dual Android/WinCE unit (not interested) and claims to have both an 8-inch and 10.2-inch screen, so not really trustworthy.

BUT. I did a reverse image search on all the stuff he copy/pasted in the wrong aspect ratio and came up with a different model from Newsmy which claims to have a quad core A9 @ 1.6Ghz and be pure Android 4.4.2 with no WinCE.

Other stuff:

- Works with steering wheel controls
- 7" display @ 1024x600
- NO optical drive
- Dual bluetooth (one standard BC5 for the phone, one for OBD).
- Good TDA7851 amplifier (28Wx4)
- All the usual crap like car DVR, TV, etc.
- Screenshot shows a stock launcher, no sign of any UI that looks like it's from an 80's sci-fi movie.
- I am aware that it appears to be a cheap tablet stuck to the front of a 2-DIN chassis
- No line outs that I can see, one of the sockets on the back is labled AV IN and looks to have a lot of pins, and another that seems to be a firewire port labeled Key Accessory Interface. No idea.

The only way to buy one seems to be either for USD$299 through a reseller on Aliexpress, whose listing is mostly incomprehensible, or direct from Newsmy on EC21 for USD$200. I have no experience with either site.

I guess I'm going to roll the dice and see if I can get one of these shipped to me and find out if it's any good.

ETA: found a ton of pictures; apparently you can pull the front panel off and connect it to your TV via HDMI.

EATA: not allowed to post links so you'll have to Google I guess.

Did you ever get this head unit?
20th September 2014, 08:32 AM   |  #8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2007
Anybody tried this?
20th September 2014, 11:31 AM   |  #9  
Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
48 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00

Anybody tried this?

I think I might give it a try soon. It would be nice to hear from someone who already has it.
20th September 2014, 11:44 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2014
Really interesting Thank you for this Information!!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Android General by ThreadRank