I don’t take any responsibility if you brick or damage your device following any of the steps in this guide. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. You may violate your warranty! By following this guide you agree to this conditions!
I. How to Root / Backup your CAT B15
II. Enable init.d support (only for rooted devices)
III. Swap Phone Storage with SDCard (only for rooted devices)
IV. Entering the service menu
V. Changing the maximum output volume of the headphone output
VI. Enabling A-GPS and EPO
I. How to flash
III. Firmware links
I. Backup and Root:
Method 1: just for ROOT - Works with all version till now (1.041.0):
I recommend doing a FULL backup before rooting. Check method 2 for backup details!
Update your Android to the latest version
Install Framaroot. For more details see this thread.
Prerequisites: Update your phone to the latest version. Download all the tools and drivers for the steps below from here.
1. Only for Windows Vista, 7 and 8: Disable driver signature enforcement (allows you to install the unsigned drivers). This is a very important step. Search google for your windows version!
2. On the phone go to Settings->Developer Options and Enable (put a tick on) USB debugging
3. Connect your phone to the PC and wait until the ADB driver installs automatically. If it fails manually install it from device manager->update driver and select the driver from the “ADB_driver” folder.
Then install the drivers from “MT6577 USB VCOM drivers” folder. Windows will tell you that it cannot verify the publisher of the driver. Select Install this driver software anyway on all the dialogs.
4. Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools”. The device should be detected in about 20 seconds. If it fails go step 1.
Once the phone is detected (picture 1) select Block Maps. Make a screenshot of the Block Maps screen and click on the Create scatter file button. Save the file in a safe place.
5. Execute Flash_tool.exe from “SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119” folder.
In the download tab click on the Scatter-loading button and load the scatter file created with MTKdroidTools. Then go to the Read back tab. Delete all the entries if any are present.
The click the add button, this creates a blank entry. Double click on the blank entry. You will be asked where to save the file and then to enter the Start Address and Length select Read Method to be Read Page Only.
You find out the values from the screenshot you made before. I created a Sizes.txt file to help you out with the formatting – CHECK if the sizes and start addresses are the same for you!!!!!!!
It’s recommended to add all the partitions (making a full backup) but you can just add recovery.img and boot.img
Turn off your phone. Unplug it from the computer. Remove the battery. Press Read Back button. Holding the Volume Up and Power button together plug the cable to the phone and computer. Once you see a progress in the SP Flash Tool you can release the buttons.
You will see a green circle the progress is complete (Recovery and Boot read back will take few seconds, full backup will take around an hour). Unplug your phone. Make an archive of the backed up files (zip/rar/7zip) so that the files don’t get modified by mistake.
6. Power on the phone. Connect to PC. Adb should be enabled.
Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools” and wait for the phone to be recognized, in the root, backup, recovery tab and click “Recovery and Boot” button. Select the boot.img from previous step, you will be asked to make a CWM recovery automatically – choose NO and select the recovery.img from the previous step. If it asks to install created recovery to phone choose NO. Close the program.
7. Power off the phone. Disconnect the cable and remove the battery.
Execute Flash_tool.exe from “SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119” folder. In the download tab click on the Scatter-loading button and load the scatter file created in step 4.
Leave the checkboxes on BOOTIMG and RECOVERY. Double click on them and select the modified boot.img and recovery.img (they are located in Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools\recovery). Press the Download button, when a message appears saying that not all images are not loaded correctly press YES.
Holding the Volume Up button and Power button simultaneously plug the USB cable.
After the green circle appears remove the cable.
8. Power on the phone. Connect to PC, Execute MTKdroidTools.exe from “Mtk_Android2.4.3\MtkDroidTools” and wait for the phone to be recognized, in the root, backup, recovery tab the “SuperUser”, “Build.prop” and “Delete china” buttons should be active. Press the “SuperUser” button. Now your phone is rooted.
9. Repeat step 7 but use the files from step 5 (unmodified boot.img and recovery.img).
NOTES: Doing a backup doesn’t violate your warranty. Having a backup is a must. OTA firmware updates checks if some of the system files are modified (build.prop and others take a look at the update-script for details). No not integrate update of system apps to rom (using Titanium backup or similar). If you cannot update OTA the use the backup from step 5 to restore your original firmware.
II. Enable init.d support (only for rooted devices):
Install init.d toggler from Play Store https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...k.initdtoggler
Note: If someone managed to get init.d support manually please post the steps so I can add it as an alternative method.
III. Swap Phone Storage with SDCard (only for rooted devices):
1. Make a backup (apps, media, contacts)
2. Do a factory reset
3. Using a root explorer (ES File Browser, Root Explorer or other) go to folder /system/etc
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host dev_mount sdcard2 /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard0 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host
WARNING: NEVER remove the SDCARD while the phone is running!!!! Never power on the phone without an SDCARD!!!!
IV. Entering the service menu:
Open the dialer (where you dial phone numbers) and enter:
V. Changing the maximum output volume of the headphone output:
1. Enter the service menu (chapter IV. In this guide)
2. Select the Hardware Testing tab and navigate to Audio -> Headset mode
3. Select Level: Level 6 and change the Max Vol. field to the desired value and press the Set button. I recommend a maximum value of 150 (the absolute maximum is 160).
You can also edit the loudspeaker volume (from LoudSpeaker Mode) or the phone volume (from Normal Mode).
VI. Enabling A-GPS and EPO
A) Easy method: Settings -> Location access click on GPS satellites (the text NOT the ON/Off button).
B) Service menu method: Enter service menu -> Location -> Location Based Service
Here you have the AGPS and EPO tabs – use the enable checkboxes