[TWRP][Root] Dragon Touch X10 [TabletExpress][Allwinner A83T]

Search This thread

NepoRood

Recognized Contributor / Retired Forum Moderator
This is a very nice budget tablet from Tablet Express. I found mine on eBay for $93.00, new + free shipping, and have been very pleased with it. I love that it came with Developer Options already on, had USB Debugging enabled right out of the box, and has a screen protector installed by the manufacturer. Add the fact that the bootloader isn't even locked, and you really can't go wrong with this device.

I used the AIO TWRP Compiler script by @yuweng, to build this recovery, it's a very efficient tool to work with and he put a lot of work into it. Many, many thanks there!!

Well, enough rambling, lets get started...

KNO'DIS: I, OR ANYONE ELSE AT XDA, WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR "BRICKING" YOUR TABLET!! IF YOU MANAGE TO MAKE A BRICK, DUE TO YOUR "FUN-DA-MENTAL" INABILITY TO READ, GO BUILD A BBQ PIT WITH IT!!
(Or ask for help, there's a lot of friendly people around here)​

Verify Partition Scheme
Over the past few months, it seems some devices have different names for the partition scheme, either "nand" or "mmcblk". So, the first step will be to check which type you have before installing TWRP and rooting the device. Here's how you check:

1) Connect the device to your PC, and open a terminal
2) Type the following:
Code:
# to make sure the device is recognized:

adb devices

# result should be:

List of devices attached
00000000000000000000	device

# Now type:

adb shell

# followed by:

ls -al /dev/block/by-name

# First Line should be 1 of the 2:

# This is a "mmcblk" device
lrwxrwxrwx root root 2016-07-20 00:08 UDISK -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1

# This is a "nand" device
lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-07-20 00:36 UDISK -> /dev/block/nandk

Once you know which device type you have, follow the below directions accordingly.

Root (Works for Android 4.4.4 and 5.1.1)
Rooting the device is easy, there are two methods that I know work:

1) Install TWRP, then flash Chainfires current SuperSu zip, find it Here (<-- recommend method)
2) Using Kingo Root for PC, find it Here (Use the Root Again option)

Install TWRP
You should already have ADB installed on your PC, or BusyBox and Terminal Emulator installed on your tablet, I will not cover installation of either of those. And you should know which type of mount partitions your device is using. To get the TWRP recovery on your device, you have a few options:

1) Use ADB to "push" the image (Android 4.4.4 and 5.1.1)
2) Use the included shell script, via BusyBox and Terminal Emulator (Android 5.1.1 and the device must already be rooted to use this option)

Download the appropriate zip for your device, located below, under Downloads, and extract it to a convenient location on your PC. If using your Tablet, the shell scripts and TWRP image must be in the root directory ( / ) to work properly.

Using ADB (Android 5.1.1) on "nand" partitions
Put the X10_twrp3.0.2.img file in the same directory as your working ADB, then enter the following:
Code:
adb push X10_twrp3.0.2.img /dev/block/nandf

#After it finishes:

adb reboot recovery

Now, flash the SuperSU flashable zip and your device will be rooted, yay!

That was easy, yes?

Using ADB (Android 5.1.1) on "mmcblk" partitions
Put the X10_twrp3.0.2.img file in the same directory as your working ADB, then enter the following:
Code:
adb push x10_twrp_mmc.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p9

#After it finishes:

adb reboot recovery

That was easy, yes?

Using ADB (Android 4.4.4)*As of now, KK uses "nand" ONLY
This is the only way I could get it to work right on KitKat, sorry, no Terminal Emulator for this one...
Put the X10_twrp2.8.7.0.img file in the same directory as your working ADB, then enter the following, one line at a time:
Code:
adb push X10_twrp2.8.7.0.img /data/local/tmp

# Wait for it, then type:

adb shell

#Followed by:

dd if=/data/local/tmp/X10_twrp2.8.7.0.img of=/dev/block/nandf

#After it finishes:

reboot recovery

That wasn't too bad, was it?

Using Terminal Emulator (Android 5.1.1 using "nand" ONLY)
Put the X10_twrp3.0.2.img and twrp.sh files in the root ( / ) folder of your tablet, then open the Terminal Emulator, enter the following, one line at a time:
Code:
su
sh twrp.sh

The script will tell you when it's done, now, power off the tablet. Boot into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power Buttons. When the Dragon Touch logo appears, release the Power Button but continue to hold Volume Down until TWRP boots.

I hope you enjoy my work, and keep in mind that I like to keep things up to date, when a new version of TWRP comes out, I'll build it and post it here.

Downloads
X10 TWRP for "nand" devices
X10 TWRP for "mmcblk" devices

~ Also see Extras Section Below ~

Credits
@yuweng (bunch of help there)
@MSF Jarvis
@trillwizzard (for mmc fix)
@amw2320 (for modified firmware)
TeamWin

Last edited:

NepoRood

Last edited:
Reactions: peonpete

NepoRood

Change Log

Change Log (Newest First)

Added modified stock firmware (8-20-16)

Added info about devices using "mmcblk" instead of "nand", provided TWRP for each (7-23-16)

Added TWRP 2.8.7.0 for KitKat (Android 4.4.4) users and flash instructions (5-19-16)

Last edited:

MSF Jarvis

XDA Feed Mod/Inactive RC
Mar 31, 2015
msfjarvis.dev
@NepoRood, great work! One suggestion, instead if using the PRODUCT_COPY_FILES, you can simply add DEVICE_RAMDISK_(DIRS|FOLDERS) += rootdir

I am sure the flag has dir rather than folder in its name, but you can easily confirm that from the thread ;) and you have to use an absolute path for folder name, so include the device/vendor/codename also, before rootdir.

Reactions: NepoRood and yuweng

NepoRood

One suggestion, instead if using the PRODUCT_COPY_FILES, you can simply add DEVICE_RAMDISK_(DIRS|FOLDERS) += rootdir

Thanks for more great advice, I've read the first page of the OP a dozen times or more, and never noticed that flag (until you pointed it out!). Would have saved a lot of typing, lol, I'll definitely use it for future projects :good:

NepoRood

Great job tested with backup and cache cleaning and it worked great now I just need to find a custom rom any of you know of any?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, no, I've never had any luck building a ROM. However, I'm going to give it a shot with this tab (I might as well try, lol) IF, I come up with anything, it will be posted here.

NepoRood

I can lend you my Jenkins server if that's what is bothering you. I'll even fix errors occasionally when I get time ;)

Thank you for the offer my friend!

I've only tried to build for one device, well 2 actually, both RCA (MT8127), both failed miserably. Even though I got a "successful" build (ie: no errors/make completed) CM12.1 wouldn't boot. Come to find out, the zip and system.img had limited files, I can't remember which, but not enough for a complete rom :confused:

So, I decided to learn everything I could about building TWRP :D (thanks for your help with that too ;) )

I'll pull all the vendor blobs from the X10 and try to put together the device tree for rom building and get back to you.

Thanks Again,
Nepo

stickz42o

May 9, 2016
marshmallow

you think this tablet is able to be upgraded to marshmallow?

i found a rom for 6.0.1 that has the same processor A83T

it has the same processor so do you think it would flash?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MSF Jarvis

XDA Feed Mod/Inactive RC
Mar 31, 2015
msfjarvis.dev
Thanks for more great advice, I've read the first page of the OP a dozen times or more, and never noticed that flag (until you pointed it out!). Would have saved a lot of typing, lol, I'll definitely use it for future projects :good:
The flag is actually this
Code:
RECOVERY_RAMDISK_DIRS += device/<vendor>/<codename>/ramdisk
As seen in this reverted commit

Reactions: NepoRood

NepoRood

the firmware is
A83T_N106_N1061L6BC_20160309

I think it may work, post a link and I'll test it. Or, you can try it and let us know if it works. Do you have the current firmware already? If not, get it here

PS, you can also use Phoenix Card to boot from External SD just to test

Last edited:
Reactions: stickz42o

Paxster

Jan 26, 2016
Portsmouth
Ahhh Please Help?

@NepoRood
All images from TabletExpress Dragon Touch X10 10'' Android 5.1.
X10-HT-PW-V1-AL-5.1-A83T_N106_N1061L2BC_20151126
X10-HT-PW-V1-AL-4.4-20151104
X10-HT-PW-V2-AL-5.1-20150115
X10-HT-PW-V2-AL-4.4-20160116
A83T_N106_N1061L6BC_20160309-ok NOT WORKING. RED/WHITE BOOT SCREEN.

I have downloaded and flashed all these images and I cannot get TWRP to work? I have installed Via Adb and Terminal, but it will not flash the recovery.
All I get is the factory recovery. I can confirm it pushed it to device, but will not work.

Can someone else verify.
Regards
Paxster;)
For Users: The Best and Easy App to use is the PhoenixSuit (Just Google lol)

Last edited:

NepoRood

I'm using this one:

X10-HT-PW-V2-AL-5.1-20150115

If all you have is 3e recovery, then you're doing something wrong somewhere. Make sure the TWRP image is in the proper directory.

PC: should be in the same folder as your adb.exe file

Tablet: should be in root directory, which is just a backslash " / "

Please let me know how it goes :)

stickz42o

May 9, 2016
I think it may work, post a link and I'll test it. Or, you can try it and let us know if it works. Do you have the current firmware already? If not, get it

PS, you can also use Phoenix Card[/URL] to boot from External SD just to test

I am going to try it tonight. I didn't know about the phoenixcard boot to test it. I will try that method and post my results if someone doesn't beat me to it :)

thanks for the info about the phoenixcard

I can't post a link till 10 posts for the firmware btw :/ i'll try to message it to you.

Last edited:

Paxster

Jan 26, 2016
Portsmouth
I'm using this one:

If all you have is 3e recovery, then you're doing something wrong somewhere. Make sure the TWRP image is in the proper directory.

PC: should be in the same folder as your adb.exe file

Tablet: should be in root directory, which is just a backslash " / "

Please let me know how it goes :)
sb5551.png

Yes Recovery is in the same Dir as ADB. It confirms being sent in the Adb Window to my booted Tablet.
Also if I use a Terminal app, it is also confirmed as being flashed, but I still get a 3e recovery? So strange.
Its driving me nuts lol..
Q:Should it work with any V5.1 Android Firm? I am using X10-HT-PW-V2-AL-5.1-20150115 from tabletexpress.
Can you confirm what version yours is working on please.

UPDATE... 5 Hours later.. I managed to flash the TWRP on Android V4.4 using Rashr. and when in recovery the screen is corrupted, unable to use? and Twrp is in Landscape mode. Shall try this method on V5.1.

Regards
Paxster;)
PS: @stickz42o A83T_N106_N1061L6BC_20160309 Does not work. I posted above.. Red/White Stuck Boot.

Last edited:

Paxster

Jan 26, 2016
Portsmouth
@NepoRood
Ok.. I used RASHR to install TWRP. A lot less hassle for people i recon matey. Plus it worked.....ADB refused to install lol...
It works ok on the Android V5,1, (X10-HT-PW-V2-AL-5.1-20150115) but unable to backup any partitions. The Twrp Log reports Unable to mount or find the partitions?
Plus you cannot boot the tablet again after rebooting out of twrp hehe..

Here is a Log File after Flashing a Image from PhoenixUSBPro. The Partitions are there View attachment PAXSTER.LOG So maybe TWRP does not know where they are ekk? Maybe it will help from the log file to sort his out? Im new to creating a Twrp File.
Regards
Paxster;)

Last edited:

NepoRood

@NepoRood
Ok.. I used RASHR to install TWRP. A lot less hassle for people i recon matey. Plus it worked.....ADB refused to install lol...
It works ok on the Android V5,1, (X10-HT-PW-V2-AL-5.1-20150115) but unable to backup any partitions. The Twrp Log reports Unable to mount or find the partitions?
Plus you cannot boot the tablet again after rebooting out of twrp hehe..

Here is a Log File after Flashing a Image from PhoenixUSBPro. The Partitions are there View attachment 3747215 So maybe TWRP does not know where they are ekk? Maybe it will help from the log file to sort his out? Im new to creating a Twrp File.
Regards
Paxster;)

When building, I ran into problems of only TWRP booting, turns out it was an init.rc and recovery.fstab issue. But, I had that fixed for the final release :confused: I'm using the exact same firmware as you are, and TWRP works perfectly.

Could you attach your TWRP log?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a very nice budget tablet from Tablet Express. I found mine on eBay for $93.00, new + free shipping, and have been very pleased with it. I love that it came with Developer Options already on, had USB Debugging enabled right out of the box, and has a screen protector installed by the manufacturer. Add the fact that the bootloader isn't even locked, and you really can't go wrong with this device.

I used the AIO TWRP Compiler script by @yuweng, to build this recovery, it's a very efficient tool to work with and he put a lot of work into it. Many, many thanks there!!

Well, enough rambling, lets get started...

KNO'DIS: I, OR ANYONE ELSE AT XDA, WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR "BRICKING" YOUR TABLET!! IF YOU MANAGE TO MAKE A BRICK, DUE TO YOUR "FUN-DA-MENTAL" INABILITY TO READ, GO BUILD A BBQ PIT WITH IT!!
    (Or ask for help, there's a lot of friendly people around here)​

Verify Partition Scheme
    Over the past few months, it seems some devices have different names for the partition scheme, either "nand" or "mmcblk". So, the first step will be to check which type you have before installing TWRP and rooting the device. Here's how you check:

1) Connect the device to your PC, and open a terminal
    2) Type the following:
    Code:
    # to make sure the device is recognized:

adb devices

# result should be:

List of devices attached
    00000000000000000000	device

# Now type:

adb shell

# followed by:

ls -al /dev/block/by-name

# First Line should be 1 of the 2:

# This is a "mmcblk" device
    lrwxrwxrwx root root 2016-07-20 00:08 UDISK -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1

# This is a "nand" device
    lrwxrwxrwx root     root              2016-07-20 00:36 UDISK -> /dev/block/nandk

Once you know which device type you have, follow the below directions accordingly.

Root (Works for Android 4.4.4 and 5.1.1)
    Rooting the device is easy, there are two methods that I know work:

1) Install TWRP, then flash Chainfires current SuperSu zip, find it Here (<-- recommend method)
    2) Using Kingo Root for PC, find it Here (Use the Root Again option)

Install TWRP
    You should already have ADB installed on your PC, or BusyBox and Terminal Emulator installed on your tablet, I will not cover installation of either of those. And you should know which type of mount partitions your device is using. To get the TWRP recovery on your device, you have a few options:

1) Use ADB to "push" the image (Android 4.4.4 and 5.1.1)
    2) Use the included shell script, via BusyBox and Terminal Emulator (Android 5.1.1 and the device must already be rooted to use this option)

Download the appropriate zip for your device, located below, under Downloads, and extract it to a convenient location on your PC. If using your Tablet, the shell scripts and TWRP image must be in the root directory ( / ) to work properly.

Using ADB (Android 5.1.1) on "nand" partitions
    Code:
    adb push X10_twrp3.0.2.img /dev/block/nandf

#After it finishes:

adb reboot recovery

That was easy, yes?

Using ADB (Android 5.1.1) on "mmcblk" partitions
    Code:
    adb push x10_twrp_mmc.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p9

#After it finishes:

adb reboot recovery

That was easy, yes?

Using ADB (Android 4.4.4)*As of now, KK uses "nand" ONLY
    This is the only way I could get it to work right on KitKat, sorry, no Terminal Emulator for this one...
    Put the X10_twrp2.8.7.0.img file in the same directory as your working ADB, then enter the following, one line at a time:
    Code:
    adb push X10_twrp2.8.7.0.img /data/local/tmp

# Wait for it, then type:

adb shell

#Followed by:

dd if=/data/local/tmp/X10_twrp2.8.7.0.img of=/dev/block/nandf

#After it finishes:

reboot recovery

That wasn't too bad, was it?

Using Terminal Emulator (Android 5.1.1 using "nand" ONLY)
    Put the X10_twrp3.0.2.img and twrp.sh files in the root ( / ) folder of your tablet, then open the Terminal Emulator, enter the following, one line at a time:
    Code:
    su
    sh twrp.sh

The script will tell you when it's done, now, power off the tablet. Boot into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power Buttons. When the Dragon Touch logo appears, release the Power Button but continue to hold Volume Down until TWRP boots.

I hope you enjoy my work, and keep in mind that I like to keep things up to date, when a new version of TWRP comes out, I'll build it and post it here.

Downloads
    X10 TWRP for "nand" devices
    X10 TWRP for "mmcblk" devices

~ Also see Extras Section Below ~

Credits
    @yuweng (bunch of help there)
    @MSF Jarvis
    @trillwizzard (for mmc fix)
    @amw2320 (for modified firmware)
    TeamWin
    I can lend you my Jenkins server if that's what is bothering you. I'll even fix errors occasionally when I get time ;)

Thank you for the offer my friend!

I've only tried to build for one device, well 2 actually, both RCA (MT8127), both failed miserably. Even though I got a "successful" build (ie: no errors/make completed) CM12.1 wouldn't boot. Come to find out, the zip and system.img had limited files, I can't remember which, but not enough for a complete rom :confused:

So, I decided to learn everything I could about building TWRP :D (thanks for your help with that too ;) )

I'll pull all the vendor blobs from the X10 and try to put together the device tree for rom building and get back to you.

Thanks Again,
    Nepo
    HEY DUDES !!! A new hope from TabletExpress, read their answer about Nougat and our tablet DragonTouchX10 :

x10

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your reply. Our tech is working on this now. Please keep close eye on our web for more info.

Regards,

Wooooooooooo so exxitinnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggg !!!!!!!!!
    @NepoRood, great work! One suggestion, instead if using the PRODUCT_COPY_FILES, you can simply add DEVICE_RAMDISK_(DIRS|FOLDERS) += rootdir

I am sure the flag has dir rather than folder in its name, but you can easily confirm that from the thread ;) and you have to use an absolute path for folder name, so include the device/vendor/codename also, before rootdir.
    One suggestion, instead if using the PRODUCT_COPY_FILES, you can simply add DEVICE_RAMDISK_(DIRS|FOLDERS) += rootdir