[Q] How to fix edit of platform.xml gone wrong on Note3 SM-N9005?

Search This thread

laconical

Jul 14, 2009
I did a search and have found similar threads. However, people seem to have been intelligent and back up stuff or installed recovery apps before screwing around with their phones. I did not.

I have a Samsung Note3. Kit Kat 4.4.2 installed OTA once I had it up and running. I rooted it. However, the version of Kit-kat has a famous issue in that it would not allow apps to write to the SD card. I found a site with manual instructions to edit the platform.xml to overcome this issue. The site is as below:

winaero.com/blog/unlock-external-sd-card-writing-for-all-apps-in-android-4-4-kitkat/

However, something went awry after rebooting. I could not see anything on my SD card and I was unable to edit the platform.xml. A solution seemed to be to flash the ROM (using ODIN 3.07). I did this and currently have Baseband version N9005XXUENB1 and Build Number KOT49H.N9005XXUENB7

However, the still has lots of issues. I can stick in a password on wifi and connect to the network but it does not actually communicate with the internet. The H with up and down arrows appears for 3g connectivitiy but also does not work. Bluetooth does not work. Youtube has stopped working errors are common. I am unable to install any apps as cannot use play store, etc. I have pictures and mp3s on my SD card but gallery comes up empty as does music app. The only "file explorer" I seem to have is "my files" app. It comes up as empty (although it shows Total storage available for both SD memory and device storage as using 25/32 and 22/29 respectively.

I am guessing that flashing the ROM did not remedy the corrupt platform.xml in the permissions folder. I think the folder path was etc/permission/platform.xml although am not an expert with android. I was hoping someone might be able to give me a solution to fix the issue. Preferably a completely fresh and clean wipe type solution. Although as I am a "newbie" the greater the simplicity of the solution the better. :)

Apologies for the length of this issue!

T

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I did a search and have found similar threads. However, people seem to have been intelligent and back up stuff or installed recovery apps before screwing around with their phones. I did not.

I have a Samsung Note3. Kit Kat 4.4.2 installed OTA once I had it up and running. I rooted it. However, the version of Kit-kat has a famous issue in that it would not allow apps to write to the SD card. I found a site with manual instructions to edit the platform.xml to overcome this issue. The site is as below:

winaero.com/blog/unlock-external-sd-card-writing-for-all-apps-in-android-4-4-kitkat/

However, something went awry after rebooting. I could not see anything on my SD card and I was unable to edit the platform.xml. A solution seemed to be to flash the ROM (using ODIN 3.07). I did this and currently have Baseband version N9005XXUENB1 and Build Number KOT49H.N9005XXUENB7

However, the still has lots of issues. I can stick in a password on wifi and connect to the network but it does not actually communicate with the internet. The H with up and down arrows appears for 3g connectivitiy but also does not work. Bluetooth does not work. Youtube has stopped working errors are common. I am unable to install any apps as cannot use play store, etc. I have pictures and mp3s on my SD card but gallery comes up empty as does music app. The only "file explorer" I seem to have is "my files" app. It comes up as empty (although it shows Total storage available for both SD memory and device storage as using 25/32 and 22/29 respectively.

I am guessing that flashing the ROM did not remedy the corrupt platform.xml in the permissions folder. I think the folder path was etc/permission/platform.xml although am not an expert with android. I was hoping someone might be able to give me a solution to fix the issue. Preferably a completely fresh and clean wipe type solution. Although as I am a "newbie" the greater the simplicity of the solution the better. :)

Apologies for the length of this issue!

T

Sounds like a bit of a pickle. Since you know that Odin is working and the firmware you have at least flashes correctly, I'd consider installing a custom recovery, backing up EFS folder (and the rom too, just in case there is some weird issue with Odin the 2nd time around) , then wipe everything - /system included. This will make your phone not be able to boot up at all because it will wipe the OS off. Then just boot directly to Download and redo the firmware flash. Something else to consider since you do have the international version, is that some of the firmwares you install might be more carrier or region specific, so there might be a better option to install. I know that there is a some slightly newer version that has NC2 in it as I was trying to fix one of these phones the other day that could not register on any network and ran across that build. Do you remember the build number of the software before you started modding?

laconical

Jul 14, 2009
Hello. Thanks for the reply.

I am going to ask what are probably very obvious questions but I am a little out of my depth.

1) What does installing a custom recovery involve?
2)How would I backup the EFS directory? When I had ES file explorer I would have been able to try and find it. However, as it is I do not know how to find the directory and back it up. I have connected the phone to a windows laptop and it shows up as note3 but there are no folders or files visible in either the phone or on the card.
3) What is the procedure to "wipe everything"?

I think the final part I know how to do with ODIN. Just go to download boot and load and run odin with the ROM. :)

I got the BTU ROM is that not for the UK? I tried looking up what NC2 was but did not really find anything the explained what it is.

Thanks again and sorry for the ignorance on my side.

laconical

Jul 14, 2009
Thanks to the people for their replies. I managed to solve the issue as below.

As mentioned previously I had flashed using ODIN and BTU version of N9005XXUENB7. The only other thing that was then required was to enter the recovery (I think power + volume up + home and then release power once samsung name appears). I then selected wipe data/factory. A reboot later and everything was solved.

christaph3r

Jun 26, 2014
:(

Sounds like a bit of a pickle. Since you know that Odin is working and the firmware you have at least flashes correctly, I'd consider installing a custom recovery, backing up EFS folder (and the rom too, just in case there is some weird issue with Odin the 2nd time around) , then wipe everything - /system included. This will make your phone not be able to boot up at all because it will wipe the OS off. Then just boot directly to Download and redo the firmware flash. Something else to consider since you do have the international version, is that some of the firmwares you install might be more carrier or region specific, so there might be a better option to install. I know that there is a some slightly newer version that has NC2 in it as I was trying to fix one of these phones the other day that could not register on any network and ran across that build. Do you remember the build number of the software before you started modding?

Hi, The other day i tried to fix the Platform.xml. on my S5. i noticed sometime after that when i move files using the "My files" app, the phone would not refresh the files so that they would show up in gallery, videos etc.. I tried to undo the Media_rw by using SD Maid to find the Platform.xml and Axel to rewrite the Xml. In the platform.xml. i deleted the Media_rw and replaced the old xml with the old (original) one. I rebooted my phone. On swiping to open the screen i noticed alot of apps crashing one after the other. I when back to SD Maid and searched for Platform.xml and opened it with Axel but it said file not found.. i can not use the internet, i cant use most apps, i cant even use the Kies on my computer. I cant save anything to the storage either. I really need help. Odin is the only thing i can use. but i dont know how i can reset the xml files on my phone.. What exactly am i do to?

please

woahs

Oct 7, 2012
Hi, The other day i tried to fix the Platform.xml. on my S5. i noticed sometime after that when i move files using the "My files" app, the phone would not refresh the files so that they would show up in gallery, videos etc.. I tried to undo the Media_rw by using SD Maid to find the Platform.xml and Axel to rewrite the Xml. In the platform.xml. i deleted the Media_rw and replaced the old xml with the old (original) one. I rebooted my phone. On swiping to open the screen i noticed alot of apps crashing one after the other. I when back to SD Maid and searched for Platform.xml and opened it with Axel but it said file not found.. i can not use the internet, i cant use most apps, i cant even use the Kies on my computer. I cant save anything to the storage either. I really need help. Odin is the only thing i can use. but i dont know how i can reset the xml files on my phone.. What exactly am i do to?

please

Hey, I was wondering if you ever got a fix on this without factory reset. I am having the exact same issue.

vbcomer

Dec 11, 2012
Same boat here. Please someone help!

Hey, I was wondering if you ever got a fix on this without factory reset. I am having the exact same issue.

I am having exact same problem. After editing the platform.xml, my Note 3 is behaving the same way: no access to any storage area (including USB drive), no remote access/online access (even though WIFI and 4G appear to connect just fine), most apps fail with 'Unfortunately ... has stopped' error message, no Google Play...

I really don't want to do a factory reset, but really, does it even help? Is there a way to put the platform.xml back? Is there a way to access the phone via USB cable?

vbcomer

Dec 11, 2012
I am having exact same problem. After editing the platform.xml, my Note 3 is behaving the same way: no access to any storage area (including USB drive), no remote access/online access (even though WIFI and 4G appear to connect just fine), most apps fail with 'Unfortunately ... has stopped' error message, no Google Play...

I really don't want to do a factory reset, but really, does it even help? Is there a way to put the platform.xml back? Is there a way to access the phone via USB cable?

Update: I went ahead and successfully install the all-in-one file to the phone via Odin, but it still has the same issues. Can someone give a hint? thanks

Android Goobie

Oct 7, 2014
FIX!!!

Hi I'm a god at searching(hence the Go)but an Noob(hence the obie) to Dev on Android but a computer techy(in other words I fix computers upgrade ETC.) Now if you followed EXACT instructions you SHOULD have the Backup copy of platform.xml. If not reply and I'll give those instructions.
So I did the same as this post did to get my issue as well but there's a SOLUTION I just found W/o getting rid of your loved files and its easy!
1. Download the ADB also included in The Android SDK by Google (approx. 3XX MB)
2. DOWNLOAD Root Explorer.APK
3. Extract ADB Dev kit( name should be roughly adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702.zip)Note: I prefered it at C:\Android it avoided Name too long error ;)
4. Open CMD Type: cd C:\<location ADB was extracted>\sdk\platform-tools(if you followed my note it will be "C:\Android\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platform-tools") and press enter... HINT TO COPY PASTE IN CMD RIGHT CLICK SAVES TIME!!!!
5. Install Root Explorer so you can backup your files(if any) I was unlucky having none on the phone but SD storage is ok!
To do this type ADB INSTALL <Location of Root explorer.exe> For standard windows users with default download locations it would be "C:\Users\<USER NAME>\Downloads\Root Explorer v3.1.9.apk" <COPY PASTE :D
6. Copy the original back to System>ETC>Permissions and overwrite
7. Factory reset!
Links?

Osman Ebrahim

Aug 9, 2015
sorry guys bt i have the same note 3 and i delete the platform.xml file .....i did a factory reset bt nothing happened ...can u help plz:(

danferriv

Jul 23, 2016
Step 5 how should it works

Hi I'm a god at searching(hence the Go)but an Noob(hence the obie) to Dev on Android but a computer techy(in other words I fix computers upgrade ETC.) Now if you followed EXACT instructions you SHOULD have the Backup copy of platform.xml. If not reply and I'll give those instructions.
So I did the same as this post did to get my issue as well but there's a SOLUTION I just found W/o getting rid of your loved files and its easy!
1. Download the ADB also included in The Android SDK by Google (approx. 3XX MB)
2. DOWNLOAD Root Explorer.APK
3. Extract ADB Dev kit( name should be roughly adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702.zip)Note: I prefered it at C:\Android it avoided Name too long error ;)
4. Open CMD Type: cd C:\<location ADB was extracted>\sdk\platform-tools(if you followed my note it will be "C:\Android\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140702\sdk\platform-tools") and press enter... HINT TO COPY PASTE IN CMD RIGHT CLICK SAVES TIME!!!!
5. Install Root Explorer so you can backup your files(if any) I was unlucky having none on the phone but SD storage is ok!
To do this type ADB INSTALL <Location of Root explorer.exe> For standard windows users with default download locations it would be "C:\Users\<USER NAME>\Downloads\Root Explorer v3.1.9.apk" <COPY PASTE :D
6. Copy the original back to System>ETC>Permissions and overwrite
7. Factory reset!
Links?

Hi have next message in the install root step could you help me please

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

-a - directs adb to listen on all interfaces for a connection

-d - directs command to the only connected USB device
returns an error if more than one USB device is present.
-e - directs command to the only running emulator.
returns an error if more than one emulator is r
unning.
-s <specific device> - directs command to the device or emulator with
the given
serial number or qualifier. Overrides ANDROID_SERIAL
environment variable.
-p <product name or path> - simple product name like 'sooner', or
a relative/absolute path to a product
out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.

If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT

environment variable is used, which must
be an absolute path.
-H - Name of adb server host (default: localhost)
-P - Port of adb server (default: 5037)
devices [-l] - list all connected devices
('-l' will also list device qualifiers)
connect <host>[:<port>] - connect to a device via TCP/IP
Port 5555 is used by default if no port number
is specified.
disconnect [<host>[:<port>]] - disconnect from a TCP/IP device.
Port 5555 is used by default if no port number
is specified.
Using this command with no additional arguments

will disconnect from all connected TCP/IP devices.

device commands:
adb push [-p] <local> <remote>
- copy file/dir to device
('-p' to display the transfer progress)
adb pull [-p] [-a] <remote> [<local>]
- copy file/dir from device
('-p' to display the transfer progress)
('-a' means copy timestamp and mode) adb sync [ <directory> ] - copy host->device only if changed
(-l means list but don't copy)
(see 'adb help all')
adb shell - run remote shell interactively
adb shell <command> - run remote shell command
adb emu <command> - run emulator console command
adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
adb forward --list - list all forward socket connections.
the format is a list of lines with the followin
g format:
<serial> " " <local> " " <remote> "\n" adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
forward specs are one of:
tcp:<port>
localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
dev:<character device name>
jdwp:<process pid> (remote only) adb forward --no-rebind <local> <remote>
- same as 'adb forward <local> <remote>' but fails
if <local> is already forwarded
adb forward --remove <local> - remove a specific forward socket connection
adb forward --remove-all - remove all forward socket connections
adb jdwp - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport

adb install [-l] [-r] [-d] [-s] [--algo <algorithm name> --key <hex-encoded ke
y> --iv <hex-encoded iv>] <file>
- push this package file to the device and install it
('-l' means forward-lock the app)
('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data)
('-d' means allow version code downgrade)
('-s' means install on SD card instead of inter
nal storage)
('--algo', '--key', and '--iv' mean the file is
encrypted already)
adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
('-k' means keep the data and cache directories)
adb bugreport - return all information from the device
that should be included in a bug report.

adb backup [-f <file>] [-apk|-noapk] [-obb|-noobb] [-shared|-noshared] [-all]
[-system|-nosystem] [<packages...>]
- write an archive of the device's data to <file>
If no -f option is supplied then the data is written
to "backup.ab" in the current directory.
(-apk|-noapk enable/disable backup of the .apks themselves
in the archive; the default is noapk.)
(-obb|-noobb enable/disable backup of any installed apk expansion
(aka .obb) files associated with each application; the default is noobb.)
(-shared|-noshared enable/disable backup of the device's
shared storage / SD card contents; the default is noshared.)
(-all means to back up all installed applications)
(-system|-nosystem toggles whether -all automatically includes
system applications; the default is to include system apps)
(<packages...> is the list of applications to be backed up. If
the -all or -shared flags are passed, then the package
list is optional. Applications explicitly given on the
command line will be included even if -nosystem would
ordinarily cause them to be omitted.) adb restore <file> - restore device contents from the <file> backup
archive

adb help - show this help message
adb version - show version num

scripting:
adb wait-for-device - block until device is online
adb start-server - ensure that there is a server running
adb kill-server - kill the server if it is running
adb get-state - prints: offline | bootloader | device
adb get-serialno - prints: <serial-number>
adb get-devpath - prints: <device-path>
adb status-window - continuously print device status for a specifie
d device
adb remount - remounts the /system partition on the device re
ad-write
adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the boo
tloader or recovery program
adb reboot-bootloader - reboots the device into the bootloader
adb root - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
adb usb - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
adb tcpip <port> - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on the specified port
networking:
adb ppp <tty> [parameters] - Run PPP over USB.
Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
<tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1 [parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns

adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
<localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:

- If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be updated.

- If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition is updated.

environmental variables:
ADB_TRACE - Print debug information. A comma separated list of the following values
1 or all, adb, sockets, packets, rwx, usb, sync, sysdeps, transport, jdwp
ANDROID_SERIAL - The serial number to connect to. -s takes priority over this if given.
ANDROID_LOG_TAGS - When used with the logcat option, only these debug tags are printed.