Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,372 Members 39,654 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Accidently whiped CWM Recovery Backup from internal SD Card Partition

Tip us?

navieko
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Accidently whiped CWM Recovery Backup from internal SD Card Partition

Hi guys - just a quick question...

Haven't had an android based phone in awhile and evidently I've gotten quite rusty.

I needed to format my internal storage on my Samsung Galaxy S4 as it was not showing the correct available space (far less than should have been available). Decided I'd have to format it in CWM Recovery, so I backed up the entire 'Internal Storage' contents onto my computer, and having already done a couple recent CWM Recovery backups I just went straight ahead and did the format.

Rebooted and problem seemed to be fixed.

So I go back into CWM Recovery to restore and to my surprise I cannot find the backup anywhere.

To make a long story short, turns out when I backed up in the passed, I inadvertently had been saving the backups to the internal SD Card partition - which due to the wording I thought was external.

So I guess I've lost the backup files right?

Any chance in data recovery methods as outlined in this guide?

I still have the entire contents of the 'Internal Storage' directory - what's best way for me to proceed... really didn't want to have to set everything up again from scratch!

Cheers,

navieko

navieko
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So what ya's reckon? Can I potentially recover the backup files via data recovery methods or is there another way?

hnkotnis
Old
Thanks Meter 416
Location: Sangli, Maharashtra, India, Asia, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galaxy Group,Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by navieko View Post
Hi guys - just a quick question...

Haven't had an android based phone in awhile and evidently I've gotten quite rusty.

I needed to format my internal storage on my Samsung Galaxy S4 as it was not showing the correct available space (far less than should have been available). Decided I'd have to format it in CWM Recovery, so I backed up the entire 'Internal Storage' contents onto my computer, and having already done a couple recent CWM Recovery backups I just went straight ahead and did the format.

Rebooted and problem seemed to be fixed.

So I go back into CWM Recovery to restore and to my surprise I cannot find the backup anywhere.

To make a long story short, turns out when I backed up in the passed, I inadvertently had been saving the backups to the internal SD Card partition - which due to the wording I thought was external.

So I guess I've lost the backup files right?

Any chance in data recovery methods as outlined in this guide?

I still have the entire contents of the 'Internal Storage' directory - what's best way for me to proceed... really didn't want to have to set everything up again from scratch!

Cheers,

navieko
You say you have copied all contents of Internal storage on your computer.

Which means you have backup of backup

Then search that contents for a folder named "clockworkmod". Copy it from your computer to newly formatted internal storage. Then go to CWM and you will see backups there.

No need for data recovery and things. And you don't have to start from scratch.

Press Thanks if helped.

Sent from my GT-I9001 Gadget of Mass Destruction with CM11 using XDA Developers App.