Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 917

6,876 posts
Donate to Me
More
Should be easy as others have found this:

https://zepinventory.wordpress.com/2...n-a727-tablet/

EDIT:
Must download the SDK for ADB drivers. No other generic ADB drivers worked. I tried a ton.

You can boot into stock Recovery by holding Volume+ when booting.
Last edited by player911; 29th April 2014 at 03:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to player911 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th April 2014, 07:51 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Google Root Genius. Worked like a charm on an AzpenA727 tablet. Had to try a couple of times but it was the simplest, quickest way to root. After rooting you'll have to go to the play store and get Root Checker and SU. To increase battery life get SetCPU which allows you to set CPU policy so that when the screen is off the cpu runs at a couple of hundred MHz, plus you can slow down the processor while it's in use also. Experiment to find the optimal settings between performance and battery life. You can also overclock the cpu but this may lockup the tablet. There are youtube videos explaining how to reset a locked up Android tablet.
Last edited by FJBORG; 28th April 2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Though it wasn't complete enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to FJBORG For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th April 2014, 03:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 917

6,876 posts
Donate to Me
More
I figured it out. I downloaded the SDK and used its drivers. Those were the only drivers that worked. None of my million ADB drivers worked in Android. So that did work. I actually manually pushed all the su files from adb shell. Just needed the missing link.

So follow the directions specifically.

Also, I'm rather impressed with the stock zippiness and battery life.

Microcenter is giving these away for $20. Worth every penny. I already have a Nexus 7 2013 and a HiSense Sero Pro. Couldn't pass up.

After I rooted. I installed Xposed and Gravity box. The screen sucks but I found lighter colors are better because the horrible viewing angles distort the darker colors. Changed the status/nav bar to white and its Much better.

sent from my Verizon G2
Last edited by player911; 29th April 2014 at 03:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to player911 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd May 2014, 01:50 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 2

17 posts
Smile
Thanks for the information folks. I just got one a few days ago from Microcenter as well. I was unhappy to find I could not set the External SD as the default download location for applications. Nor can I move apps to the external SD. I called customer service and was told the device was not able to do that because of how the developer set it up. Upon hear that I figured someone here if not a few would know how to do that. I'd really appreciate the information. Thanks
5th May 2014, 02:48 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 115

749 posts
More
is there 4.4 for this tablet or any way to make it look like its 4.4
22nd May 2014, 04:16 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

18 posts
No 4.4 upgrade, but there's an app to make it look like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haldi15

is there 4.4 for this tablet or any way to make it look like its 4.4

There's no 4.4 upgrade for it. If you install the Xposed framework and Gravity Box, there is an Android 4.4 KitKat app in the Play Store that claims to make it look like 4.4. I haven't tried it yet, and can't say how well it does.

The Xposed installer is here: http://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk

There's a thread on XDA Developers discussing a Gravity Box version for Jellybean here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...droid-t2316070

There are a boatload of Xposed addons in the Play store.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx Diamond

Thanks for the information folks. I just got one a few days ago from Microcenter as well. I was unhappy to find I could not set the External SD as the default download location for applications. Nor can I move apps to the external SD. I called customer service and was told the device was not able to do that because of how the developer set it up. Upon hear that I figured someone here if not a few would know how to do that. I'd really appreciate the information. Thanks

Yeah, limited System Memory on this device is the biggest PITA.

There's an app on the Play Store called FolderMount that looks like it might be able to address the problem. (At a guess, it's creating symlinks pointing to the external card.) A search for FolderMount reveals several similar apps.

I have FolderMount downloaded, but haven't played with it yet. I want to make sure I understand the implications before I fiddle.
24th May 2014, 03:11 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 20

90 posts
Curious to see how you make out with the folder mount bit. I just picked one of these up from Microcenter with coupon to get it for $20 and was wondering the same thing... but I'd rather not be the guinea pig

P.S. Used method in OP link to root no problem (Kingo method)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney

There's no 4.4 upgrade for it. If you install the Xposed framework and Gravity Box, there is an Android 4.4 KitKat app in the Play Store that claims to make it look like 4.4. I haven't tried it yet, and can't say how well it does.

The Xposed installer is here: http://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk

There's a thread on XDA Developers discussing a Gravity Box version for Jellybean here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...droid-t2316070

There are a boatload of Xposed addons in the Play store.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Yeah, limited System Memory on this device is the biggest PITA.

There's an app on the Play Store called FolderMount that looks like it might be able to address the problem. (At a guess, it's creating symlinks pointing to the external card.) A search for FolderMount reveals several similar apps.

I have FolderMount downloaded, but haven't played with it yet. I want to make sure I understand the implications before I fiddle.

Last edited by frieked; 24th May 2014 at 03:18 AM.
24th May 2014, 03:56 AM   |  #8  

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieked

Curious to see how you make out with the folder mount bit. I just picked one of these up from Microcenter with coupon to get it for $20 and was wondering the same thing... but I'd rather not be the guinea pig

Where did you get yours? In my case, they opened locations in Brooklyn and Queens in NYC, and the Brooklyn store was a convenient subway trip for me.

If FolderMount is creating symlinks (and it's hard to imagine what else it could be doing), it shouldn't be too dangerous. You can get a system mightily confused with symlinks, but what you want to do here is mount a directory on /mnt/extsd to an appropriate location in the root file system.

I have to look around some more, as FolderMount seems to be sparsely documented. I want to make sure I understand what it's doing.

The other thing I don't know yet is external keyboard support. The device doesn't have Bluetooth, so a USB keyboard would be required. The FAQ says it can't use one, but I don't know it that's a limitation of the factory install that can be addressed by rooting, or if it's a hardware issue and USB host mode simply isn't supported, (Like no Bluetoioth, that may be a "design to cost" move.)

The device is useful enough as is that I'll live if I can't use a keyboard with it, but it would be nice. If nothing else, it's a good way to learn about Android in preparation for the sort of device I plan to get down the road.

Meanwhile, I've been having fun, and it's certainly worth what I paid for it.
24th May 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 20

90 posts
Agree, totally worth the $20 even if I use it for nothing else than letting the kids watch netflix and play angry birds.

Got mine at the Long Island Microcenter.

I also found this thread which talks about swapping the mount points of sdcard and extsd but I dunno if I'm ready to take that step
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2263436

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney

Where did you get yours? In my case, they opened locations in Brooklyn and Queens in NYC, and the Brooklyn store was a convenient subway trip for me.

If FolderMount is creating symlinks (and it's hard to imagine what else it could be doing), it shouldn't be too dangerous. You can get a system mightily confused with symlinks, but what you want to do here is mount a directory on /mnt/extsd to an appropriate location in the root file system.

I have to look around some more, as FolderMount seems to be sparsely documented. I want to make sure I understand what it's doing.

The other thing I don't know yet is external keyboard support. The device doesn't have Bluetooth, so a USB keyboard would be required. The FAQ says it can't use one, but I don't know it that's a limitation of the factory install that can be addressed by rooting, or if it's a hardware issue and USB host mode simply isn't supported, (Like no Bluetoioth, that may be a "design to cost" move.)

The device is useful enough as is that I'll live if I can't use a keyboard with it, but it would be nice. If nothing else, it's a good way to learn about Android in preparation for the sort of device I plan to get down the road.

Meanwhile, I've been having fun, and it's certainly worth what I paid for it.

Last edited by frieked; 24th May 2014 at 04:17 AM. Reason: spelling
24th May 2014, 04:43 AM   |  #10  

18 posts
Swapping mount points
Quote:
Originally Posted by frieked

Agree, totally worth the $20 even if I use it for nothing else than letting the kids watch netflix and play angry birds.

My use case is eBook viewer. I have a lot of eBooks. I had been reading them on a Palm TX (yes, I still use a Palm OS PDA), but a bigger screen and more storage capacity is nice. I use the Android version of FBReader, an open source program by a Russian developer. It handles both Mobi (Amazon Kindle) and ePub (B&N Nook, Kobo Reader) formats, and I have books in both forms. (It doesn't handle DRM, but I don't get DRM protected books.)

I use a beta Android port of VLC for video, with video files stored on the external card.

Quote:

Got mine at the Long Island Microcenter.

Didn't know they'd open one there. Where is it on LI?

Quote:

I also found this thread which talks about swapping the mount points of sdcard and extsd but I dunno if I'm ready to take that step
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2263436

Thanks for the pointer. I'll go and look.

I'm an old *nix admin, who started on AT&T System V Unix long before Linux existed, so I grasp the concepts, and I've done stuff like that on larger machines. I just proceed very carefully. I prefer not to shoot myself in both feet...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread