No registration required

Android web browsers - unwanted zoom on text field selection

OP ph0b0s123

10th August 2014, 01:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
Hi,

This is a thing that has annoyed me with Android from the start, but after a lot of searching, I have not found a way to disable or stop the behavior.

So my problem is that with all versions of Android and all the web browsers for Android I have tried, web pages always zoom in when you select a text entry field on a web page.

So for example on my Note 3 and Nexus 7 I go to, say theregister.co.uk. The phone /tab is in landscape mode and the page is set to a zoom where all the article titles are legible. There is a search field at the top right hand corner of the web page which is also a a legible size. I select it to enter text and the screen is zoomed in so that the field fills the whole of the screen, that is not filled by the keyboard.

If any of the text I start to enter brings up any suggestions, due to the zoom level, they are lost behind the soft keyboard. I zoom out to look at them and they dis-pear. I select the text field again to add or delete text, to make those suggestions come up again and I get zoomed in to far again. I then give up put the phone or tablet down and use a windows laptop etc instead.

Now I understand why this would have been desirable initially in Android, when phones had small screens and on ones with small screens today, but why is this needed on larger screens or even tablets?

It makes things like posting this forum post very frustrating on an Android device. I know there is an App for XDA, but is is not a powerful as using the forum direct through a web page. So I cannot replace having a windows etc PC around as Android does not give comparable web page interaction experience.

So I wanted to know if anyone knew of a way of disabling this behavior if so desired? Or if there is a browser out there where this does not happen?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread