Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,353 Members 47,806 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Asus Transformer Pad TF103C Tablet - Root? (Intel Bay Trail Z3745, Android 4.4)

Tip us?

duboisj
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Asus Transformer Pad TF103C Tablet - Root? (Intel Bay Trail Z3745, Android 4.4)

Today I got one of the new Asus Trasformer Pad tablets. They just rev'd the line and this one is running Android 4.4.2 and has an Intel Bay Trail Z3745 processor.

This is a very new device: yesterday was the first day this variety of Intel processor was supposed to be available in a tablet, and I had this one on pre-order and it arrived today. Of course, I want to root it.

If anyone knows how I would love it, or pointers to ideas. I rooted my prior Intel Android tablet (an HP Slate 7 1800 "mesquite") with the TwerkMyMoto hack from this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2548742

which has been very helpful. (I find it quite limiting to do development on a non-rooted device, and what I'm working on doesn't run on an emulator). I am very much non-expert at rooting / recovery, and I'm not sure I would make any headway on my own. Depending how much of a limitation lack of root proves to be, if no one has better ideas then I may eventually just start trying things, and if I have any success, certainly I will post back here.

Cheers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duboisj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bit.perfect
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I just got this new tablet and like the performance very much!

I too am interested in rooting it. If anyone has any suggests please post here.

I have tried some generic root methods for x86 tablets, but have not had any luck. The bootloader in locked and when I try to run adb as root, I get an error message "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

I am a newbie, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know and I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

rycheme
Old
Thanks Meter 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by bit.perfect View Post
I just got this new tablet and like the performance very much!

I too am interested in rooting it. If anyone has any suggests please post here.

I have tried some generic root methods for x86 tablets, but have not had any luck. The bootloader in locked and when I try to run adb as root, I get an error message "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

I am a newbie, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know and I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
I just picked up one of these today and am also interested in root
Samsung Galaxy S4 | ASUS Transformer Pad TF103C

bit.perfect
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Does anyone have any updates?

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know I can test on my device.

dublinman
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It's been two weeks now and I managed to discover some drawbacks. In my case it is closing some applications without any reason. The message displayed says usually that application was suddenly closed or that there was some error etc. I appreciate asus issuing constantly some system updates but they just don't seem to be improving anything so far. Another thing is that I can't connect my HP LJ 1018 printer to USB port. NTFS formatted pendrive also doesn't work... Root access could make this device more useful for me. Anyone... please...

goranmrd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I've got mine 3 days ago and for now I'm satisfied. It would be better if it had an HDMI. I'm waiting for root too. Want to make an swap file to extend RAM memory. I hope someone will make tutorial for us.

rycheme
Old
(Last edited by rycheme; 25th July 2014 at 09:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 164
Edit: My TF103 died and couldn't come back to life. I'd only had it for 15 days. I returned it and bought a Galaxy Tab 4 instead.
Samsung Galaxy S4 | ASUS Transformer Pad TF103C

Nebtastic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Tablet Got one as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinman View Post
It's been two weeks now and I managed to discover some drawbacks. In my case it is closing some applications without any reason. The message displayed says usually that application was suddenly closed or that there was some error etc. I appreciate asus issuing constantly some system updates but they just don't seem to be improving anything so far. Another thing is that I can't connect my HP LJ 1018 printer to USB port. NTFS formatted pendrive also doesn't work... Root access could make this device more useful for me. Anyone... please...

I picked one of these up before the weekend, and now its become my weekend. Here is what I've managed to figure out:

ASUS Transformer Pad MG10/TF103C

Enable the Developer menu:
Settings -> About -> Software information -> Tap Build number numerous times
Settings -> About -> Software information -> Tap Android version numerous times get a Kitkat animation (Easter egg, nothing helpful)

Using adb reboot bootloader, I have learned this about the bootloader:
DROIDBOOT bootloader
Version 2.0

and everything else you can make out in the picture. Sorry, the size restrictions were getting me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg - [Click for QR Code] (6.5 KB, 75 views)

Nebtastic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Tablet Update.zip from ASUS

I'm not an Android developer, so forgive me if this question is a facepalmer. Asus has an update.zip for this new model, but its like the guy that updates their website was in a hurry for the weekend so half of the fields aren't filled in. I have determined which update.zip would apply to my particular device, and when I extract everything there is a boot.img, fastboot.img, recovery.img, etc

Can you build a root update package from this or is it not that simple? Currently, there isn't anything out as far as a unlocking package from ASUS or anyone else.

Am I on the right path or am I pissing in the wind?

alongenemylines
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebtastic View Post
Can you build a root update package from this or is it not that simple? Currently, there isn't anything out as far as a unlocking package from ASUS or anyone else.

Am I on the right path or am I pissing in the wind?
You're on the right track. To get root via a flashable zip, you either need a custom recovery (to flash unsigned zips), or a way to sign the zip to make it look official to the device.

Usually once a custom recovery is available, custom roms follow pretty quickly.
Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G
ROM: Stock 4.1.2