FORUMS

Analysis & Opinion

I am a beginner and I need help.

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By Fahad khan lodhi, Junior Member on 13th September 2014, 10:02 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
My HTC one m8 has root access. I was using twrp recovery and stock rom. I wanted to flash a custom rom (tried cyanogen and pan) but twrp never helped me in finding my zip file. Then I tried swapping my recovery from twrp to cwm but that never happened and it got stuck in bootloader mode and then I did factory reset :/. And now everytime I try going into recovery it takes me to the bootloader mode. now I am trying flashing a custom recovery but first turning s_off and I tried firewater but it doesn't work.
What should I do?
It still has root access but s_on and don't know about bootloader on/off and no recovery.

Sent from my HTC one m8 using XDA Free mobile app
 
 
13th September 2014, 11:23 PM |#2  
toolhas4degrees's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fenton, MI
Thanks Meter: 345
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad khan lodhi

My HTC one m8 has root access. I was using twrp recovery and stock rom. I wanted to flash a custom rom (tried cyanogen and pan) but twrp never helped me in finding my zip file. Then I tried swapping my recovery from twrp to cwm but that never happened and it got stuck in bootloader mode and then I did factory reset :/. And now everytime I try going into recovery it takes me to the bootloader mode. now I am trying flashing a custom recovery but first turning s_off and I tried firewater but it doesn't work.
What should I do?
It still has root access but s_on and don't know about bootloader on/off and no recovery.

Sent from my HTC one m8 using XDA Free mobile app

and does your device say unlocked at the top of your bootloader? if not follow this guild http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2799796 , but use the twrp for you device carrier only
if you did it via recovery you should still be ok
go to your bootloader download this twrp img here http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m8/...2.7.1.0-m8.img on your computer (for gsm) int. att (i'm guessing this is the device carrier you have)
ensure you have fastboot tools(adb tools installed)
put the .img in your folder that contains fastboot
open a cmd in that folder on your computer and make sure you put your phone in fastboot mode via your bootloader.
then type on your computer in cmd fastboot flash recovery (name of twrp you downloaded).img
then type fastboot erase cache
you now have twrp installed to get to it now select recovery from bootloader on your phone.

when installing custom roms in twrp you need to go to advanced wipe(select data,cache,delvik cache, and system then swipe the arrow bar beneath)
then press home and press install the go to the location on the sdcard where you put the rom.zip of the custom rom and select it. instalation will begin after completion reboot(done)
Last edited by toolhas4degrees; 13th September 2014 at 11:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to toolhas4degrees For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2014, 12:09 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
It says unlocked at the top but S On.
Shouldn't I turn s off before flashing recovery?

Sent from my unknown using XDA Free mobile app
14th September 2014, 06:15 AM |#4  
toolhas4degrees's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fenton, MI
Thanks Meter: 345
 
More
@Fahad khan lodhi
it won't matter either way.
but just so you know what s-off is
s-off turns security mode off so you can swap out boot splashes and such, if you s-off and super cid you can flash any carrier's firmware,
also allows you to flash a kernel in recovery on older devices(m8 doesn't need s-off to flash kernel)
Last edited by toolhas4degrees; 14th September 2014 at 06:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to toolhas4degrees For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th September 2014, 04:28 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 638
 
Donate to Me
More
Can't S-Off unless you can boot. Firewater only works if you can get into the OS and then only for some devices. You should reinstall TWRP and see if you can boot to it then put a rom on an external SD card or use adb to push a rom zip to the internal if you don't have an SD card. Make sure that you fastboot flash the boot.img of whatever rom you are trying due to being S-On. If all that fails, then you will need to find the same or newer RUU from HTC for your carrier to restore the phone to stock and start over.
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th September 2014, 04:19 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

Can't S-Off unless you can boot. Firewater only works if you can get into the OS and then only for some devices. You should reinstall TWRP and see if you can boot to it then put a rom on an external SD card or use adb to push a rom zip to the internal if you don't have an SD card. Make sure that you fastboot flash the boot.img of whatever rom you are trying due to being S-On. If all that fails, then you will need to find the same or newer RUU from HTC for your carrier to restore the phone to stock and start over.

Hey thank you very much.
It helped and i flashed latest twrp recovery and then flashed viper one m8 1.8.0 rom but the latest version is 2.4.0 and it says to have that your firmware should be 4.4.3 and i have 4.4.2.
Question is can i flash paranoid android coz that gives me 4.4.4 firmware and then flash latest viper one m8 version or i have to go to stock rom and update it and then flash latest version of viper?
Reply please.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
15th September 2014, 11:26 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 638
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad khan lodhi

Hey thank you very much.
It helped and i flashed latest twrp recovery and then flashed viper one m8 1.8.0 rom but the latest version is 2.4.0 and it says to have that your firmware should be 4.4.3 and i have 4.4.2.
Question is can i flash paranoid android coz that gives me 4.4.4 firmware and then flash latest viper one m8 version or i have to go to stock rom and update it and then flash latest version of viper?
Reply please.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

It should still work with the firmware you have. It's recommended but not necessary. And flashing PA would certainly not update your firmware. Firmware in this instance is mostly focused on the radio/baseband version and the touch drivers. These are not included in any kind of custom rom for your phone (nor 99% of android custom roms for anything). Much more important if you were originally on 4.2.2 or 4.3 and trying to run the new Viper. The only way to update firmware while S-On is via RUU or OTA. If you were S-Off then you could flash just the firmware package that has the hboot and stock recovery files removed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes