FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Backup SMS on Android Marshmallow

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

Post Reply Email Thread
Hello, I have a Nexus 6 running Nethunter on top of Cataclysm Android Marshmallow . I would like to back up my texts since I want to get Android N and they would be deleted. Does Nandroid back EVERYTHING up including app data? I have TWRP installed on my Nexus, but looking though the Nandroid back up options I only saw the system directories with options to be backed up. What I apps can I use to backup my messages? I do have root and busybox.

15th March 2016, 07:06 AM |#2  
Senior Moderator / Mod. Cttee. Retired - The Dark Knight
Flag Watching from the Shadows
Thanks Meter: 17,647

More
Use sms backup and avoid nandroid. Backing up with nandroid is only Good if you are restoring a botched system. And even then it has issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free
15th March 2016, 07:11 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Another possibility is Titanium Backup or the OpenSoucre 0andBackup, both can create and restore a backup for your app data. Which is really night for otp apps or so.

For SMS use a specialized app like SMSbackup or SMSbackup+.
The Following User Says Thank You to pbeckmann For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pbeckmann Ad-Free
15th March 2016, 03:11 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Buffalo, New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbeckmann

Another possibility is Titanium Backup or the OpenSoucre 0andBackup, both can create and restore a backup for your app data. Which is really night for otp apps or so.

I have tried Titanium Back up, but when I restored my messages all of my SMS apps would not start and think I soft bricked too. I use Hangouts for SMS.

Thanks for the advice! I was going to just use nandroid, until I saw some replies on my thread. I did run a Nandroid backup last night and it did back up my /data partition. (Be spelling that wrong. But the partition was a massive 14 GB so I assume that's where all the users app data hangs out at)
15th March 2016, 03:13 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Buffalo, New York

More
Quote:

Mods delete this replied to the wrong guy.
15th March 2016, 04:34 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Buffalo, New York

More
Mods delete this.
15th March 2016, 04:35 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Flag Buffalo, New York

More
Quote:

Delete please mods, I am not using my head. :P
15th March 2016, 04:40 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Buffalo, New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel

Use sms backup and avoid nandroid. Backing up with nandroid is only Good if you are restoring a botched system. And even then it has issues.

I am wiping everything since I am going to test drive Android N for a while.
15th March 2016, 05:01 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan1998

I am wiping everything since I am going to test drive Android N for a while.

Then use one of the sms backup apps. They may not work with android N. Restoring this type of data is always a crap shoot as it is system data and restoring that can cause issues as you have found out.
The Following User Says Thank You to zelendel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zelendel Ad-Free
15th March 2016, 05:07 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Flag Buffalo, New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelendel

Then use one of the sms backup apps. They may not work with android N. Restoring this type of data is always a crap shoot as it is system data and restoring that can cause issues as you have found out.

I went with SMS Back up and Restore. It looked more reliable than the others since it had material design and it got an update 29 days ago. I will probably be switching back to Marshmallow Wednesday night.
15th March 2016, 05:10 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan1998

I went with SMS Back up and Restore. It looked more reliable than the others since it had material design and it got an update 29 days ago. I will probably be switching back to Marshmallow Wednesday night.

That is what I used when I used to keep my sms. I no longer bother anymore.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)