Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Make apps think you're using Wifi

OP Turminator8

30th May 2013, 11:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 8

79 posts
I've searched around for some solid technique or, preferably, app that allows you to trick apps into thinking you are using Wifi when in reality you are still on 3g/4g.

- I am NOT looking for alternatives or workarounds for a specific app

I found it crazy that the iPhone has over a dozen apps, tweaks, etc that can easily do this type of thing, but the only stuff I've found on the subject for android were either ridiculous techniques that don't work, or people questioning WHY you'd want to do this...

If anyone has ANY information on this subject, please tell.

Is there a reason why this is so much harder on Android than on iPhone? I'd be happy to learn exactly what the problem is here.
1st June 2013, 06:51 PM   |  #2  
OP Member

79 posts
bump
1st June 2013, 10:56 PM   |  #3  
Flag Lakewood, WA
Thanks Meter: 17

179 posts
More
Im also interested on this. I have unlimited data and i find it ridiculous that devs make apps to only work on wifi. I use to use 3g unrestrictor all the time back when i had my iPhone.
4th June 2013, 03:43 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

79 posts
bump
11th June 2013, 01:05 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

79 posts
bump again...
11th June 2013, 05:38 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 19

288 posts
More
Well i know this works with certain android games like zenonia and modern combat which require wifi not data connection so you can try it with other stuff. You have to be rooted.
The first step is to turn your Wi-Fi on and*download Android Wi-Fi tether app*available in Market.
Once you have the app downloaded, launch the app and go to Menu > Settings > Change > Setup Method and select Softap option.
Now start tethering and drag down the notification bar.
In case your Wi-Fi icon is still enabled, it means that you have done it right so far.
Do not press the Wi-Fi toggle icon and launch the game you want to play

-------------
I am a dishonest man, and you can always honestly trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly it's the honest ones you have to watch out for.
11th June 2013, 10:11 PM   |  #7  
OP Member

79 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMrArnoldx

Well i know this works with certain android games like zenonia and modern combat which require wifi not data connection so you can try it with other stuff. You have to be rooted.
The first step is to turn your Wi-Fi on and*download Android Wi-Fi tether app*available in Market.
Once you have the app downloaded, launch the app and go to Menu > Settings > Change > Setup Method and select Softap option.
Now start tethering and drag down the notification bar.
In case your Wi-Fi icon is still enabled, it means that you have done it right so far.
Do not press the Wi-Fi toggle icon and launch the game you want to play

-------------
I am a dishonest man, and you can always honestly trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly it's the honest ones you have to watch out for.

It didn't work.. My wifi is turned off as soon as the tethering starts. What app exactly am I supposed to use?
Thanks!
11th June 2013, 10:20 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 19

288 posts
More
Try wifi tether for root users.

---------------------
Give me a thanks if i helped
Lg Lucid running Cm10
w/ Cm10 Kernel
Asus Tf700 running Cromi-X 4.6.5
w/ Max's v4 kernel
11th June 2013, 10:39 PM   |  #9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Ħ℃ ∃Ṽϴ 4Ḡ
Thanks Meter: 2,777

2,709 posts
Donate to Me
Some Android games and application require a Wi-Fi connection due to the large amount of data that they use. If you don't have Wi-Fi available, however, you won't be able to use the apps or play the games, even if you have a fast 3G connection. You can trick your phone into believing that the Wi-Fi is connected by saving a small text file to your SD card so the phone will play games and apps as if it's on Wi-Fi when it's only connected to 3G.

Things You'll Need

PC
Data cable
Text editing app

Instructions

1) Launch a text editing program on your computer and type "FALSE" in all caps. Save the file and give it the name "qaWifiOnlyMode.txt" exactly with all the lower-case and capital letters duplicated precisely, otherwise the Android operating system won't see the file. Close the text editing program.

2) Plug your Android device into your computer and drag your finger down from the top of the screen to open the notification area. Tap "USB Connected" and then confirm that you want to mount your SD card as a drive on the computer.

3) Find the qaWifiOnlyMode.txt file on your computer and click to select it. Press "Ctrl" and "C" to copy the file. Browse to the location of your Android device's SD card on your computer. In the base(root) directory, not in any sub-folder, press "Ctrl" and "V" to paste the text file to the card.

4) Drag down the notification area on your Android device and tap the USB connection to disconnect the device from the computer. Unplug the USB cable. Your device will now play games and apps as if it's on Wi-Fi even if it's only on 3G.
Last edited by Diablo67; 11th June 2013 at 10:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diablo67 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2013, 10:01 PM   |  #10  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 1

28 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo67

Some Android games and application require a Wi-Fi connection due to the large amount of data that they use. If you don't have Wi-Fi available, however, you won't be able to use the apps or play the games, even if you have a fast 3G connection. You can trick your phone into believing that the Wi-Fi is connected by saving a small text file to your SD card so the phone will play games and apps as if it's on Wi-Fi when it's only connected to 3G.

Things You'll Need

PC
Data cable
Text editing app

Instructions

1) Launch a text editing program on your computer and type "FALSE" in all caps. Save the file and give it the name "qaWifiOnlyMode.txt" exactly with all the lower-case and capital letters duplicated precisely, otherwise the Android operating system won't see the file. Close the text editing program.

2) Plug your Android device into your computer and drag your finger down from the top of the screen to open the notification area. Tap "USB Connected" and then confirm that you want to mount your SD card as a drive on the computer.

3) Find the qaWifiOnlyMode.txt file on your computer and click to select it. Press "Ctrl" and "C" to copy the file. Browse to the location of your Android device's SD card on your computer. In the base(root) directory, not in any sub-folder, press "Ctrl" and "V" to paste the text file to the card.

4) Drag down the notification area on your Android device and tap the USB connection to disconnect the device from the computer. Unplug the USB cable. Your device will now play games and apps as if it's on Wi-Fi even if it's only on 3G.

Well, this whole text file thing didn't work for me. Do you have to be rooted for this to work?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread