Need a device solution for school

Search This thread

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Hello XDA, I don't often venture out of the branded device forums so here goes nothing.

I have chronic nerve damage in both of my arms (primarily right arm which is my writing hand). I am going back to school this year and the pain seems to be getting worse. The most painful thing for my arm is without a doubt writing, and I am filing for a 504 plan to allow me to use some other method of typing besides writing.

So there's the back story, now here's my question.

I need a device (not necessarily android, but a tablet is one of the main contenders) that can give me a solid writing experience (keyboard or bust, a keyboard cover/accessory will suffice, but NO on screen typing), offer an all day battery life, is portable and easy to store, and can also double as a media device. I am sort of on a budget, but am already in the market for a tablet so I'm willing to spend some extra $ on this. 600$- maybe $800, preferably less obviously.

Note, I probably won't have internet access during school, so DRM is out of the question.

So here are the candidates.

Chromebook - don't know what the stance on DRM is for these nowadays, but I would love a Chromebook as they are cheap, have nice typing experiences, and have great battery life. Again, if anybody can pitch in on DRM for the Chromebook that would be great. All I need for school is a writing supplement so a word editing software will work fine. I'm also aware that you can install Ubuntu on a Chromebook and Ubuntu has the libro office.

Android tablet - I love android, and was very close to buying the new shield tablet a few weeks ago. I'm glad I didn't because that device doesn't have many solid accessories currently, but a device like the nexus 7 probably does. However, the writing programs on android are really lackluster and don't offer the precision of a real laptop

Surface tablet - this one is kind of a long shot, but if for some reason the school requires a windows os (which could be possibly) I would choose this over a standard laptop because it doubles as a tablet.

Cheap windows laptop - this one is self explanatory, a cheap run of the mill windows laptop would type fine, but would be dead useless to me outside of school and I already have a laptop (a Toshiba satellite that is massive and has a terrible battery life) for home. Also the tablet would probably be slow and have a terrible battery... and yeah, windows.

So there you go. Thank you for reading this, this is very important for me right now as starting school again has out me in a tremendous amount of pain from writing, and I would love to find a solid supplement that meats all of my goals.

Thanks,
William

Last edited:

breversa

Mar 21, 2012
LG G4
Fairphone 2
Hi,

I'm sorry I don't have any answer to your question, but since you're on the topic of typing and nerve damage, I thought I'll let you know about the Typematrix keyboards (http://www.typematrix.com/) that offer physical, ergonomic-layout keyboards such as Dvorak, Colemak and BÉPO, which are all designed to ease the pain (and up the speed) of typing. Learning to (touch-)type efficiently takes 4-8 weeks depending on the layout and the keyboards themselves aren't cheap (= in the $100-120 range), but if you value your health, I think it's worth it. Plus, the washable silicon skins are über soft and silent as well ! ^^

(I'm not affiliated with Typematrix in any way, but I give kudos when deserved :) )

Reactions: wtoj34

IGGYVIP

Feb 17, 2014
/
Samsung Galaxy S4
Samsung Galaxy S10
Hello XDA, I don't often venture out of the branded device forums so here goes nothing.

I have chronic nerve damage in both of my arms (primarily right arm which is my writing hand). I am going back to school this year and the pain seems to be getting worse. The most painful thing for my arm is without a doubt writing, and I am filing for a 504 plan to allow me to use some other method of typing besides writing.

I need a device (not necessarily android, but a tablet is one of the main contenders) that can give me a solid writing experience (keyboard or bust, a keyboard cover/accessory will suffice, but NO on screen typing), offer an all day battery life, is portable and easy to store, and can also double as a media device. I am sort of on a budget, but am already in the market for a tablet so I'm willing to spend some extra $ on this. 600$- maybe $800, preferably less obviously.

Note, I probably won't have internet access during school, so DRM is out of the question.

Chromebook - don't know what the stance on DRM is for these nowadays, but I would love a Chromebook as they are cheap, have nice typing experiences, and have great battery life. Again, if anybody can pitch in on DRM for the Chromebook that would be great. All I need for school is a writing supplement so a word editing software will work fine. I'm also aware that you can install Ubuntu on a Chromebook and Ubuntu has the libro office.

Android tablet - I love android, and was very close to buying the new shield tablet a few weeks ago. I'm glad I didn't because that device doesn't have many solid accessories currently, but a device like the nexus 7 probably does. However, the writing programs on android are really lackluster and don't offer the precision of a real laptop

Surface tablet - this one is kind of a long shot, but if for some reason the school requires a windows os (which could be possibly) I would choose this over a standard laptop because it doubles as a tablet.

Cheap windows laptop - this one is self explanatory, a cheap run of the mill windows laptop would type fine, but would be dead useless to me outside of school and I already have a laptop (a Toshiba satellite that is massive and has a terrible battery life) for home. Also the tablet would probably be slow and have a terrible battery... and yeah, windows.

So there you go. Thank you for reading this, this is very important for me right now as starting school again has out me in a tremendous amount of pain from writing, and I would love to find a solid supplement that meats all of my goals.

Thanks,
William

Hi Dude

i guess there is many options to choose since the market is huge

i would suggest something like this : 10.1 Inch Tablet Pc Intel Atom Baytrail-T Z3735D 1.33Ghz Quad Core DDR3 2GB SSD 32GB Dual Cameras Ultrabook Win8 it comes as a tablet that you can attach to a base (proper qwerty keyboard and stand) 32gb storeage about $400

or this : samsung XE500T1C windows 8 Quad-core is equipped with a keyboard Bluetooth/WIFI *same kind of a deal but 64gb storage and more slick and "known" device about $600

and if you feel that you might need more than that here : Intel Core I5 + 4G DDR3 + 128GB SSD+ Bluetooth+3G * this one is about $730

also since u have one m8 you can have look at the app i use for documents WPS Office: PPT, DOC, XLS, PDF

and here u have a solution in case you would like to get any other tablet SEARCH FOR TABLET CASES WITH KEYBOARD :)

all these links work but i mainly gave them as examples since you might be able to get them devices locally/cheaper :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wtoj34

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I'm sorry I don't have any answer to your question, but since you're on the topic of typing and nerve damage, I thought I'll let you know about the Typematrix keyboards (http://www.typematrix.com/) that offer physical, ergonomic-layout keyboards such as Dvorak, Colemak and BÉPO, which are all designed to ease the pain (and up the speed) of typing. Learning to (touch-)type efficiently takes 4-8 weeks depending on the layout and the keyboards themselves aren't cheap (= in the $100-120 range), but if you value your health, I think it's worth it. Plus, the washable silicon skins are über soft and silent as well ! ^^

(I'm not affiliated with Typematrix in any way, but I give kudos when deserved :) )

Thanks,
    William

Hi Dude

i guess there is many options to choose since the market is huge

i would suggest something like this : 10.1 Inch Tablet Pc Intel Atom Baytrail-T Z3735D 1.33Ghz Quad Core DDR3 2GB SSD 32GB Dual Cameras Ultrabook Win8 it comes as a tablet that you can attach to a base (proper qwerty keyboard and stand) 32gb storeage about $400

or this : samsung XE500T1C windows 8 Quad-core is equipped with a keyboard Bluetooth/WIFI *same kind of a deal but 64gb storage and more slick and "known" device about $600

and if you feel that you might need more than that here : Intel Core I5 + 4G DDR3 + 128GB SSD+ Bluetooth+3G * this one is about $730

also since u have one m8 you can have look at the app i use for documents WPS Office: PPT, DOC, XLS, PDF

and here u have a solution in case you would like to get any other tablet SEARCH FOR TABLET CASES WITH KEYBOARD :)

all these links work but i mainly gave them as examples since you might be able to get them devices locally/cheaper :)