Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Google+ Auto Backup suddenly started duplicating all my photos/videos.

OP LaTropa64

1st September 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

148 posts
More
My phone went crazy today with battery drain... losing about 20% an hour while I was doing nothing with it. I finally figured out it was Google+ uploading my media to the cloud. It went through 2 gigabytes of uploaded data before I turned off Auto Backup.

The one thing I did this morning that I think might have caused this is I installed QuickPic and started using it instead of the included gallery from Samsung. Though I'm not sure why that would make G+ think every single pic/vid in every folder on my phone and the external sd card was new and start uploading them again... and even if it did, doesn't Google do some kind of CRC check to make sure the file hasn't already been uploaded because if they don't it's going to suck when I move to a new phone but copy over all my old media and G+ decides to upload a 3rd copy of all my pictures.

My questions: 1) How do I stop G+ from backing up things that have already been backed up. 2) How do I clean my G+ Photos in the cloud to get rid of all the duplicates. There are thousands of pictures uploaded so I really don't want to do it manually.
1st September 2014, 08:24 AM   |  #2  
Flag NewYork
Thanks Meter: 6

72 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTropa64

My questions: 1) How do I stop G+ from backing up things that have already been backed up. 2) How do I clean my G+ Photos in the cloud to get rid of all the duplicates. There are thousands of pictures uploaded so I really don't want to do it manually.

Well, I guess to stop the G+ from backing up things stop the the backing up function by heading over to the settings>account manger>Google account and under the Google account shut the sync photos option off. This will stop the auto backup function and in order to clean the G+ photos I am afraid but you need to clean this mess manually i.e one by one ! So, this time take the help of the PC/Laptop then manually and remove then one by one at a time. Lastly "Wish you all the best in taking out with the cleaning process"
1st September 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

148 posts
More
Thanks. I had stopped G+ from backing up for the time being but I want to turn it back on once I figure out the duplicate issue so I can continue to us it in the future. I guess I'm wondering how Google Plus decides if a pictures has already been uploaded or not?

It's going to suck manually deleting all the duplicates already on plus.google.com/photos. I have over 7,000 pictures in there and the best I can tell from my G+ app on the phone, it recently uploaded about 3,000. My google fu isn't very good though because I can find no way to sort them by date uploaded or anything. It'll be a nightmare scrolling through all of my photos looking for the duplicates.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto backup, duplicates, google+
Previous Thread Next Thread