Exclamation [Q] I kinda messed up...

OP Mike_The_B0ss

18th September 2014, 11:22 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

7 posts
More
I kinda messed up about a month ago, I was wanting to root my HTC One so I could try some custom ROMS and experience other cool stuff

However, Me, feeling nervous decided to go the Cyanogenmod Installer route (You know this isn't gonna end well). And so I plugged in my device and everything was good and fine until It was unlocking my bootloader, it seemed to do the HTCDev one, I got the option to unlock it or lock it, and as soon as the device restarted the phone disconnected.

Some apps went missing, however I recently had a talk to a friend who said that is normal, and he recommended me to come here to get some help.

I can boot into the bootloader where you can go into fastboot and stuff, I can factory reset through the Android OS once its booted, however when I enter recovery in the bootloader, the screen goes black and a red exclamation mark shows up for about 5-10 minutes and then the device reboots into Android.

The same thing happens when I try to get Over the air updates, I can still get OTA updates, they just don't install.

So what I'm looking for is, can I relock my device and get it back to how it was before I ran Cyanogenmod installer and then maybe I can try root it manually and have more control over the situation.

I hope you guys can help me and I hope I can find a place on this forum

Thanks in advance guys!
19th September 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #2  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 167

736 posts
Donate to Me
More
First of all, it seems you shouldn't have started to mess with this at all...

now to fix this...

Download the latest recovery of your choice e.a. twrp. @ http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7 the normal one is the m7 i suppose? else go to the right section...

save it to your /sdcard directly or move it there. than for the eaz just rename it to twrp.img

open an terminal if installed on your device and type
su
than
dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p34 (note command for the m7)

if you however don't have the capability to install an app because of missing gapps... which sounds like it...

install adb/fastboot on your pc with the htc drivers..

download the recovery image with your pc and rename it to twrp.img and put it at your fastboot file

turn off your device

keep holding volume down until a menu shows up
select fastboot from the menu

attach the device to your pc

open cmd and type fastboot devices (to see if you actually installed the right driver... and that it's recognizing it)

if it does

type:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

if that all succeeded, you can download gapps for the android version your using or flash something else with the working recovery..

goodluck!
Last edited by Hawkysoft; 19th September 2014 at 03:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkysoft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2014, 03:59 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkysoft

First of all, it seems you shouldn't have started to mess with this at all...

now to fix this...

Download the latest recovery of your choice e.a. twrp. @ (It prevented me posting links) the normal one is the m7 i suppose? else go to the right section...

save it to your /sdcard directly or move it there. than for the eaz just rename it to twrp.img

open an terminal if installed on your device and type
su
than
dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p34 (note command for the m7)

if you however don't have the capability to install an app because of missing gapps... which sounds like it...

install adb/fastboot on your pc with the htc drivers..

download the recovery image with your pc and rename it to twrp.img and put it at your fastboot file

turn off your device

keep holding volume down until a menu shows up
select fastboot from the menu

attach the device to your pc

open cmd and type fastboot devices (to see if you actually installed the right driver... and that it's recognizing it)

if it does

type:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

if that all succeeded, you can download gapps for the android version your using or flash something else with the working recovery..

goodluck!

Thank you! Will there be a risk in ruining my device?

And thank you once again! I definitley shouldn't have messed with this, but you gotta start somewhere right?

If I never took the risk of building my own computer then I never could have done it Its how we learn.

Anyways, I'm not sure about the terminal bit, I don't run linux and I don't have a mac? So, how would I have access to the terminal. Unless I somehow got it on my device (I don't know how to do that).

And one more question, once I've done the things you've told me to do I can just put Cyanogenmod on it?

Thanks once again

Oh, and I have got Gapps, if my Gapps you mean Google Apps, yes I have I've got Google play services, Google play, hangouts etc.
Last edited by Mike_The_B0ss; 19th September 2014 at 04:11 AM.
19th September 2014, 04:13 AM   |  #4  
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 167

736 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you! Will there be a risk in ruining my device?

Further than now? i highly doubt it... unless you totally put in a wrong recovery which magically wud fk up the partitions?

Quote:

And thank you once again! I definitley shouldn't have messed with this, but you gotta start somewhere right?

True, but babysteps mate...

Quote:

Anyways, I'm not sure about the terminal bit, I don't run linux and I don't have a mac? So, how would I have access to the terminal. Unless I somehow got it on my device (I don't know how to do that).

Terminal should be on the phone, if not use command prompt in windows... u need to do a little research on the m7 forums which driver you need they probably have an m7 toolkit again if the one is the m7, as far as i knew it is.. than you could put the recovery.img in the folder of fastboot.exe and go there with command prompt and do what i've written before

Quote:

And one more question, once I've done the things you've told me to do I can just put Cyanogenmod on it?

erhm ofcourse you can, however just download the rom instead of an installer...

p.s. you got gapps.. install an emulator oh... better solution... install flashify download the latest twrp and install it with that if u have proper root that is!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkysoft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkysoft

Further than now? i highly doubt it... unless you totally put in a wrong recovery which magically wud fk up the partitions?

True, but babysteps mate...

Terminal should be on the phone, if not use command prompt in windows... u need to do a little research on the m7 forums which driver you need they probably have an m7 toolkit again if the one is the m7, as far as i knew it is.. than you could put the recovery.img in the folder of fastboot.exe and go there with command prompt and do what i've written before

erhm ofcourse you can, however just download the rom instead of an installer...

p.s. you got gapps.. install an emulator oh... better solution... install flashify download the latest twrp and install it with that if u have proper root that is!

Thanks I don't have root, I've run rootchecker, and it says I don't have root.

And what if I do Cyanogenmod but I want to go back to HTC Sense (Doubt it though)

Will instlaling the recovery root my device? If not, how will I root it?

Oh and, how do I get fastboot and ADB?
Last edited by Mike_The_B0ss; 19th September 2014 at 04:58 AM. Reason: needed to add some stuff
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread