Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,752 Members 39,658 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] root a fustion5 xtra allwinner A31 tablet?

Tip us?

youngster2002
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] root a fustion5 xtra allwinner A31 tablet?

Hi,

I just got a fusion5 xtra tablet from a seller on ebay. 10.1" quad core-A31 Series for 90 pounds.

I have tried a couple of tools, z4root and another pc based one, to no avail. I have seem http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2143581 and other similar threads for other allwinner a31 devices, but this tablet has no update program on it.

tools seem to think there is an su binary(z4root and AnTuTu both think it is rooted) , but it is not rooted properly.

just wondering if anyone else has had any joy?

full spec is:

fusion5 xtra
Model BS1078
android 4.4.2
firmware v4.5
kernel 3.3.0 yonestoptech@ubuntuwh #4 thu feb 27 19:00 CST 2014
build no fiber_bs1078-eng 4.4.2 KOT49H 20140308 test-keys

AnTuTu shows it as a YonesToptech, BS1078, AllwinnerTech A31,

Thanks for any help, or even if you can post the apk for the update program from the Onda tablet.

thanks, Chris

youngster2002
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
ok so I managed to root it with vroot. This tool is not recommended here and I am still motoring the network from the device to see if it dials home. the only worrying thing I have seen is the maxathon browser going back to Bejing at a potentially dodgy IP, which was there already.

for the PC side, I did it on a VM and snapped it back once done.

search on here for vroot and decide if you want to risk it.

sam tyler
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Yes,I just got this tablet from Amazon. thought it was a great price, but rooting is total pain! read up about vroot here on XDA, a few are worried about malware etc, it's the first device I've got that rooting is a nightmare. And what's with maxthon browser? If root works for this tab,the first thing that will be going will be that dodgy browser!

Sent from my W100 using xda app-developers app

sam tyler
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I managed to get into standard recovery via via comp by running adb reboot recovery. but for some reason the volume buttons won't let me highlight anything, only the power button lets met reboot the tablet.

youngster2002
Old
(Last edited by youngster2002; 6th April 2014 at 09:26 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
that is as far i have got with recovery.. can't change the option..

I used

vroot to root it (as said in a vbox machine so could snap it back and leave nothing on the pc)

i used network connections to see what network traffic was going on

titanium backup to trim out anything i didn't like the look of maxathon browser, 4k video and something called dragonphone and dragonfire (no idea what these are!)

and used xposed to add kitkat features back, multiple users for one and other tweaks.(http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1574401)

installed avast a/v it hasn't suggested anything is bad.

still trying to get google plus app to install.. haven't tried too hard yet tho.

sam tyler
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I use xposed on my phones(mk based)Will use vroot, only because all other possible ways rooting do not work.maybe it's because it's kitkat or something else.

sam tyler
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Rooted via kingo now.worked first time.I've heard it does something with the camera, but haven't noticed any extra camera apps(or anything else except super su) in the system apps folder.

youngster2002
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
from a quick search on here, Kingo does seem a more approved tool rather then vroot.. (well no one is shouting don't use it like they do with vroot!)

good spot.

sam tyler
Old
Thanks Meter 6
just a quick update after rooting fusion5 extra tablet.so far so good.got rid of a few apps that i knew shouldn't be there.only moan i have is i can`t use my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse(mk270)i able to use on them on my mk809ii android tv stick.on that it worked first time on the fusion i have no joy.maybe its the mini usb port or maybe the little receiver doesn't like the ota cable that came with the tablet but my P.S.3 keyboard works fine.and of course still no luck in finding out why the volume controls don't work in recovery.just have to keep looking for an answer,or try to find a way to install a touch screen version of cwm recovery.

Sent from my BS1078 using xda app-developers app

youngster2002
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
have to say I haven't tried much more recently, but one thing it bugging me is I can't get google+ to install.. I haven't tried too hard yet, but for some solutions flashing via recovery is a method to get it on...

I must get round to trying the hdmi and a 3g dongle..